Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When a deal is not a deal...

Options
  • 05-05-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place.
    Was going to buy today's city deal and did a bit of research and found as usual we Irish seem to be getting charged mental money compared to our European brothers and sisters.

The Hello Canvas deal prices from their website in Ireland Vs Holland
    30*30 - 35 in Ireland, Not offered in NL
    40*40 - 49 in IE, 20 in NL
    40*60 - 59 in IE, 27 in NL
    50*70 - 65 in IE, 32 in NL
    60*80 - 98 in IE, 44 in NL - this is the deal
    90*120 - 119 in IE, 59 in NL

Have sent a mail to HC to see what they say.

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Consumer Issues is not where we discuss currency variations. Moved instead to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

a lot of these "deals" advertised recently are nothing more than an advert by a company.

there was also a recent "deal" offering a full car service for €39 or something like that - however it was that price for 1L engines and went up higher as the engine size went up, it also didn't include original parts.

I questioned the deal and mentioned that the deal is not a deal as the same thing can be got cheaper by plenty of other sources.

the deal would have worked out at €139 for me but my local mechanic does the exact same for me for €129 every time, even my local FORD center were doing it cheaper than the "deal"

the whole groupon/deal thing is facing a failing as the people do not research if the deal is genuine, the only thing that matters to them is that the client gets X amount of customers and they make their quota and make their money. .... businesses are not willing/able to go back to the "old" mentality of lower the price and you'll get more customers instead they choose to artificially inflate the price so to give a perceived deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭snowcrazie

dudara wrote: »
    Consumer Issues is not where we discuss currency variations.
    dudara

currency? :)

It may be dearer here but going by the general price of canvas prints in ireland the deals is about 1/6 of the price it would cost elsewhere.

I bought it and the canvas is twice the size of two i had previously bought in ireland. The ones in ireland cost me €100, this cost €36 so it is still a "deal".

Also wages, and the cost of living are much lower in holland => they must charge less.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Ive noticed this sort of thing on citydeal

Eyelash extensions were 130E now only 55E! in X salon when you click on the site they could have a similar deal on it that lashes are 65E to make the saving look alot bigger, you have to do a bit of research and compare prices first

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

snowcrazie wrote: »
    currency? :)

It may be dearer here but going by the general price of canvas prints in ireland the deals is about 1/6 of the price it would cost elsewhere.

I bought it and the canvas is twice the size of two i had previously bought in ireland. The ones in ireland cost me €100, this cost €36 so it is still a "deal".

Also wages, and the cost of living are much lower in holland => they must charge less.

Well for one, they use the Euro in The Netherlands, haven't used the Guilder in a while :P

The Dutch Groupon Deal is run by a company called Print Things based in Haarlem (just outside Amsterdam)

The Irish Groupon deal is with Hello canvas based in London.

Two seperate companies, I don't think Groupon is ripping anyone off, just these companies offered a different deal based on the number of potential purchases.

P.S. I would say the cost of Living in Holland is on par with Ireland .. not less than Ireland.

• Advertisement

Well for one, they use the Euro in The Netherlands, haven't used the Guilder in a while :P.

...Thats why i said Currency? I presume he meant country.
    The Irish Groupon deal is with Hello canvas based in London. .

I ordered and recieved this deal last month. it came from amsterdam through eindhoven to dublin.

P.S. I would say the cost of Living in Holland is on par with Ireland .. not less than Ireland.

Are you basing this on any fact or just disagreeing with me becuase you have nothing else to do. I said it because i knew it was true.

Of course you could argue that costs are equal in the center of amsterdam and dublin, but then I doubt their factory is based in such a high rent area.

The same way a factory wouldn't be based on grafton street.

Also i see you're based in the netherlands, do your friends not get that price shock when they come over here? I know mine do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Apart from renting a roof over your head, you are probably right

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Just to clarify that the comparison in prices was done on the Hello Canvas site not GroupOn.

http://ie.hellocanvas.com/home and http://nl.hellocanvas.com/home

Also the last one of these I did was shipped from NL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Is it possible that the delivery from Netherlands to Ireland costs a little more than delivery within netherlands and this is built into the price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

maxer68 wrote: »
    Is it possible that the delivery from Netherlands to Ireland costs a little more than delivery within netherlands and this is built into the price?

It would if they all came from NL. But colleague got one from DHL UK. So it's not consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

snowcrazie wrote: »
    ...Thats why i said Currency? I presume he meant country.

I ordered and recieved this deal last month. it came from amsterdam through eindhoven to dublin.

Sorry mate, I just looked on what was on Groupon, the Hellocanvas deal was on there also.
    Are you basing this on any fact or just disagreeing with me becuase you have nothing else to do. I said it because i knew it was true.

I live in the Netherlands, used to live in Ireland.

E.G.
    2.0 Litre Diesel Car

Motor Tax Ireland
    528/year

Motor Tax Netherlands (Noord-Brabant) in the Randstad its slightly more.
    1246 / year.

Insurance Ireland
    580 / year

Insurance Netherlands
    480/year (with extra 2 years NCB)

Petrol was at 1.76/litre on Friday
    Diesel is around 1.38/litre.

Cars are also subject to a special import tax (BPM) just like VRT in Ireland. They go for stupid money and you can get a car in Ireland / UK for a fifth of what you'd pay here in some cases.

Council taxes Ireland
    None

Council Taxes Netherlands (Circa w.o.z value of 175,000 euros / household)
    528 / year

Health Insurance
    Zero, Paid by Employer.

Health Insurance Netherlands
    1126/year

Water Rates Ireland
    None

Water Rates Netherlands
    57/ quarter for Infrastructure cost
    186 / year Water Security cost (so the country doesn't flood)
    Then a meter/m3 cost which works out at about 35 euros / month.

Renting unfurnished is a little bit cheaper than Ireland, renting Furnished will cost you a fortune, some 1 and a hallf bedroom places can command upto 1200 euros / month, never mind the one months rent as a commision and in some cases 2 months deposit.

Un-furnished of course you'll have to stick up a load of money up front for furniture, painting, floor etc.

So no, I'm not just disagreeing with you for the sake of it, I have first hand experience of it.

Only thing I can think of cheaper here is Booze and Cigarettes, thats usually where the 'Price shock happens with tourists' and gives the false 'wow its so much cheaper here'

Whenever I want to buy clothes I wait until I head back to Dublin/Cork as the deals are much better for stuff.

Only places you can get better deals is outlet centers in the middle of nowhere, very little competition in Dutch stores.

Advertisement