Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of detached houses in south County Dublin

Options
  • 05-05-2011 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Just a general question for people looking for a detached family home in south county dublin (3/4 bed & garden).

There seems to be a relatively minute amount of houses on the market that fit this criteria. I would be looking mainly at the D4, D6, Dalkey, Killiney and Dun Laoghaire areas.

What is your opinion on how this market will develop over the next 3 years? Do you see many houses in these areas coming to the market or do you think the owners are in a good position to hold on to their properties for a few years as yields are relatively good in these areas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If you're willing to spend the money, there's no reason why you couldn't find a house in the area, however the prices for houses in that area are possibly the highest in Dublin if not Ireland. I was looking at renting in that area and some of the asking prices are RIDICULOUS!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You won't see many of these houses coming onto the market. In demand or not, the issue is one of finance, so they won't sell for what the owners want because buyers won't be able to get the money.

3/4 bed detached homes with gardens are also somewhere near the top of the "ladder" as it were, with these being sought-after areas. So unless someone is emigrating or is flush enough with cash to go buy/build something bigger, people are unlikely to leave good family homes in this area.

Even during the bubble years, big family homes in the posh areas were rare to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If you remove the super high section of the market you are looking at the highest priced houses in Ireland. Most likely people who own these houses are not going to be selling any time soon. You are generally looking at waiting for people to die and family members not wanting to move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

I'd echo what others have said. In addition in most of D4/D6 (bar the very top of the ladder) detached houses are rare in general. There's a far higher representation of terraced houses in places like Ranelagh, Rathgar and Donnybrook. Even if you start to do a little further out, you find the terraces have been mostly replaced by the ubiquitous semi-d. The situation is a little different in Killiney, but you're talking about a very different lifestyle between there and D6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Brassmonkeys

I've been looking for similiar houses but I've found none at realistic prices in the D4 D6 area. Some better value in D14 D16 etc but mates renting in Rathfarnham say the quality of house varies alot. Check out Whitecliff in Rathfarnham. Two sold in the past year but two others for less money haven't budged for nearly two years. Sellers seem to think that if a nearby house sells for X amount they should get the same regardless of size or quality. Does anyone else have an opinion about the houses in that estate?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Just a general question for people looking for a detached family home in south county dublin (3/4 bed & garden).

There seems to be a relatively minute amount of houses on the market that fit this criteria. I would be looking mainly at the D4, D6, Dalkey, Killiney and Dun Laoghaire areas.

What is your opinion on how this market will develop over the next 3 years? Do you see many houses in these areas coming to the market or do you think the owners are in a good position to hold on to their properties for a few years as yields are relatively good in these areas?

Very few houses like that are ever rented out. The yields have always been very poor on them relative to the price. Tenants will tend to pay virtually the same amount of money for a semi of terraced hose as they will for a detached. A purchaser will pay far more, hence investors have tended to be priced out. These house come onto the market as executor sales or trade ups or trade downs.
    There are some on the market in Booterstown and similar areas.

Advertisement