If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap blu Ray with 5.1 analog output?

Options
  • 05-05-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a blu Ray player to feed my non hdmi pioneer vsx 2011 amp. Any cheap options?

Thanks!

Steve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Steve

From the Philips stable I can offer you the PHILIPS BDP7500B2
    Its our 3D enabled range topper and the only player in the Philips range that has Analogue multi outs.

This player will happily decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio (upto 7.1 channels) onboard and pass the signals out via 7.1 analogue outs to your amps 5.1/7.1 multi in.

I've just had a little play about with this player and it will let you -
    1) correctly set up the distance each speaker is from you (in 30cm incriments)
    2) adjust the levels of each speaker to balance the volume (inc Sub)
    3) set them up as SMALL or LARGE (or NO SPEAKER for Surrounds, centre and Sub)
    4) send a test tone around each to help balance them

This is pretty important as most AV amps wont allow you to do this when using the analogue bypass - they just amplify the signal and pass it to the speakers

Great way of breathing new life into your an older amp.

Have a look at spec here

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/b/bdp7500b2_05/bdp7500b2_05_pss_eng.pdf

We sell this for €249.99 but I can offer you one for €230 from stock if you'd like.

Check it out, plus I have one running into our 46PFL9705H in the demo room if you'd like to see it in action

Let me know what you think

The Richer lads may have something for you as well - have a chat with Kenny or Dave

atb
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Thanks Ash,

This player looks good alright and has all the bells and whistles. I dont have any interest in 3D in case this matters.

I'm also looking at the Panasonic DMP-BD80 as an option, John/ Dave do you have any of these available?

Thanks again!

Steve

Hi Steve

The 3D compatability is there should you ever need it. Otherwise it has no effect on every day BR playback quality.

Most mid/upper level players include 3D playback nowadays - a little bit of future proofing.

cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Thanks Ash,

I've been reading reviews of the panasonic G20's I bought from richer sounds recently and although it has dlna it apparently doesn't stream movies very well so I'm torn between a blu ray player and separate media server, or a ps3 which is a brilliant media server, not bothering with HD audio. I'll give you a shout if I'm going ahead with the blu ray thanks.

S

Hi Steve

DONT ABANDON HD AUDIO:eek:

You'll love the boost in sound quality it gives over compressed DD and DTS - I find its has more weight and clarity and creates a more open and airy soundstage compared to the vanilla DD and DTS sound formats - I have a few of the same films on DVD and BR and have done plenty of side by side listening - sad I know:o

I also have a few music/concert BR's at home and they sound amazing - a couple leave my jaw on the floor sound wise, Nine Inch Nails and Dave Matthews disc's especially. The former is pretty much sonic perfection!

HD Audio is one of the main reasons (along with the HD image of course!) to step up to BR over DVD plus i'd say your amp is well up to the task to let you hear the difference.

just my 2cents worth......

Have a good weekend

atb
    Ash

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.