Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to play Super Nintendo

• 05-05-2011 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭

Would I be right in saying that the best way to play SNES games is on an NTSC SNES with an rgb cable.

If I get one can it be connected up to my lcd tv?
    Would it work on an old crt?
    Would there be any difference between crt or lcd?
    Will an adapter enable you to play pal games on it at 60hz?
    Would it be better just to buy NTSC carts or PAL?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that the best way to play SNES games is on an NTSC SNES with an rgb cable.

On either an NTSC snes or a PAL snes that has been modded so you can play games in 60hz.
    If I get one can it be connected up to my lcd tv?
    Would it work on an old crt?

It will work on both. People have been using RGB cables for years before LCDs were even about.
    Would there be any difference between crt or lcd?

CRT looks far far better as the games were designed to run on one. It'll run on an LCD, but the picture looks like lego blocks and sometimes you'll get weird things like screen flicker. It really all depends on your LCD.
    Will an adapter enable you to play pal games on it at 60hz?
    Would it be better just to buy NTSC carts or PAL?

No adapter is 100% effective. I've had several and some imports work, not others. They're very hit and miss.

Best thing to do is to have an NTSC system and NTSC games.
    If you already have a PAL system and PAL games (or just rather the look of PAL games and the PAL system like myself!), then you'll need to have your PAL console modded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Do most CRT have an rgb connection?

Is it difficult to mod the pal SNES? I two prefer the look of them.

Thanks

Master of the Universe

Any CRT I've ever had has RGB standard in AV socket 1. CRTs are so cheap and unwanted now, you can get the best of the best for practically nothing. Stay away from cheap ones.

If you can get a nice big 4:3 aspect ratio Sony Trinitron do.

Enternow on these forums modded my Snes (and pretty much every other console I own!) but it does seem easy enough.

Thanks. theres a sony one up on adverts as well.

Okay so NTSC doesnt have a rgb output.

So is a pal snes with an rgb cable better than an ntsc snes.

Or would a modded snes that can do 60hz work with a rgb cable?

Does it matter that a ntsc snes doesnt have an rgb output? Or am I wrong in that it doesnt do rgb?

Sorry for all the questions.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Okay so NTSC doesnt have a rgb output.

So is a pal snes with an rgb cable better than an ntsc snes.

Or would a modded snes that can do 60hz work with a rgb cable?

Does it matter that a ntsc snes doesnt have an rgb output? Or am I wrong in that it doesnt do rgb?

Sorry for all the questions.

You're just wrong :p

NTSC Super Nintendos have RGB out. I don't have a US one, but I've been using RGB with my Japanese Snes since I bought it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    You're just wrong :p

NTSC Super Nintendos have RGB out. I don't have a US one, but I've been using RGB with my Japanese Snes since I bought it.

Cool. So its a NTSC with an rgb cable then.

Thanks!

Now going to have to get one of those as well.

Master of the Universe

There's a bit of a difference between PAL and NTSC snes RGB cables. Some of them have capacitors, some dont. (I can't remember which is which right now!)

So if you use a PAL one on an NTSC snes you end up with a very dark almost black image. Or else it's the other way around..but anyway, they cant be mixed.

So if you're buying a Snes RGB cable, consolegoods.co.uk have them on ebay and label them by their region. Just make sure you get the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Enternow on these forums modded my Snes (and pretty much every other console I own!) but it does seem easy enough.

I wouldn't call it difficult, but it involves lifting three pins up from the motherboard from three seperate chips - that's the tricky bit ;) Once that's done its plain sailing, but break off any of those pins & the snes will either be stuck in a certain mode (pal/ntsc or 50/60hz) or for the bin depending on which one.

Master of the Universe

I always forget about that damn pin lifting! How exactly are you doing that? Sliding something under the pin and lifting? Sounds dangerous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I always forget about that damn pin lifting! How exactly are you doing that? Sliding something under the pin and lifting? Sounds dangerous!

Ah the ol' pin liftin' technique. I picked it up in 'nam when I badly needed to lift a pin from a mobo during a napalm attack. A friendly village elder said to me, "You ask me, how lift pin? I say, answer in question". Turns out he was right, I use a pin, to lift a pin :) Small sewing pin inserted behind the required pin, low wattage soldering iron placed on the foot of the pin & while its there, gently prise the pin up from the board with the, em, pin :) Works a charm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

No adapter is 100% effective. I've had several and some imports work, not others. They're very hit and miss.

There's a joke there. Something about condoms and adapters and not being a 100% effective and a Super Nintendo and a Mega Drive getting it on.

Master of the Universe

Augmerson wrote: »
    There's a joke there. Something about condoms and adapters and not being a 100% effective and a Super Nintendo and a Mega Drive getting it on.

Remind me never to touch your consoles or controllers again :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Remind me never to touch your consoles or controllers again :p

careful-now.jpg

Advertisement