Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STRAY BALLOONS

Options
  • 05-05-2011 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,
    Some of you may have spotted helium balloons around Mayo these past few days!!!

St. Maurs G.A.A club in Rush Co. Dublin let off 1080 balloons on Sunday last May 1st as part of a fundraising drive. The ballons cost €5 each to buy and it was the centre piece of our family may day events. The Balloon that travels furthest wins a prize and the person who finds the balloonand and returns the label wins €100 .

So far 5 have been returned from Co Mayo so if you are lucky enough to find a balloon you could earn €100 by returning the label before 28th of May

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5679075641_3206d5faa5.jpg[/EMAIL]">

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5679640560_b0c705e7d9.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Best of luck

Regards
    LeoB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Considering the wind was from the East they would have headed for the Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thanks for reply
    mayotom wrote: »
    Considering the wind was from the East they would have headed for the Atlantic

So if anyone is out in Clew Bay or the Aran Islands they might get themselves €100!! They actually headed south when they left our grounds well actually towards Dublin city but there was poor weather down South so that has give us a good spread of locations so far. We have had a good response with about 50 replies so far.
    We know another club who done this event and they had some returned from Poland?

What would you think is the furthest place from Dublin in Co Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

LeoB wrote: »
    Thanks for reply

So if anyone is out in Clew Bay or the Aran Islands they might get themselves €100!! They actually headed south when they left our grounds well actually towards Dublin city but there was poor weather down South so that has give us a good spread of locations so far. We have had a good response with about 50 replies so far.
    We know another club who done this event and they had some returned from Poland?

Blacksod:confused:

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Blacksod:confused:

The way its going at moment, wind wise I think the winner could well come from that part of the country. I am not sure if the balloons would make it accross the atlantic or up to Iceland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Thanks for reply

achill:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

irishgeo wrote: »
    achill:D

Will keep an eye out tomorrow for the craic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

where did you release them from??

mayotom wrote: »
    where did you release them from??

We released them from St. Maurs G.A.A club in Rush, North Co Dublin, (the North is important). We are right along the coast with Sworda being the nearest big town.

We are a growing club 17 miles from the city in what has largely been a horticultural community with a lot of veg grown in the area. We regard ourselves as country people hense the importance to a lot of us to use North Dublin.

We are trying to build a ball wall and get a new roof on our club house and keep 40 teams on the road not an easy task. We got a great boost during the week, Thursday night when our Senior football team beat Na Fianna in championship and U/16s won Championship Q/F. Days like that give give us all the boost to keep it going and its probably much the same all over the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

We released them from St. Maurs G.A.A club in Rush, North Co Dublin, (the North is important). We are right along the coast with Sworda being the nearest big town.

We are a growing club 17 miles from the city in what has largely been a horticultural community with a lot of veg grown in the area. We regard ourselves as country people hense the importance to a lot of us to use North Dublin.

We are trying to build a ball wall and get a new roof on our club house and keep 40 teams on the road not an easy task. We got a great boost during the week, Thursday night when our Senior football team beat Na Fianna in championship and U/16s won Championship Q/F. Days like that give give us all the boost to keep it going and its probably much the same all over the country

Best of luck with the fundraising.

Hello folks,

A big thank you to everyone who sent back tags from Balloons. The results below are from our website. www.stmaursgaa.ie

Balloon Race Final Result Monday, May 30, 2011 10:37 AM The Balloon race is over.
    The balloon recorded as having travelled furthest by May 28th was found in Tipp, a townland North West of
    Belmullett,
    Co Mayo
    by Mr Myles Carey. €100 euro on its way west.

The winning owners are

1st prize €300 euro to Shauna Kelly ........................balloon sold by Hannah Hughes

2nd prize €200 euro to Matthew Jackson ......................balloon found also in Belmullet

3rd prize €100 euro to Conor Barry ...........................balloon found near Inishcrone in Sligo

Thanks once again to all who made the event a success

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Were the baloons and tags biodegradable or just more colorful rubbish deposited randomly into the countryside?

Oldtree wrote: »
    Were the baloons and tags biodegradable or just more colorful rubbish deposited randomly into the countryside?

Dont know for sure but will enquire, for the crack, but I am sure if everyone is as worried as you seem about our country side I am sure they would pick them up.

The balloons were not dumped randomly in the country side they turned up in 11 counties Mayo, Sligo, Roscommon, Galway, Leitrim, Longford, Westmeath, Meath, Kildare, Tipperary and Offally so they are not creating any big mess.

B.T.W St. Maurs have adopted a stretch of road which our club will maintain as part of our effort towards keeping our area as tidy as possible!! Yes we have public liability Insurance and all wear hig vis tops, just in case your worried

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

You dont appear to be worried about OUR countryside at all. Cleaning up one small bit near you dosn't give you any rite to randomly deposit litter in another part of OUR countryside, nomatter how good a cause. If you did'nt deposit it there in the first place I and others wouldn't have to pick it up.

You dont appear to be worried about OUR countryside at all. Cleaning up one small bit near you dosn't give you any rite to randomly deposit litter in another part of OUR countryside, nomatter how good a cause. If you did'nt deposit it there in the first place I and others wouldn't have to pick it up.

A mindreader we have, I am quite concerned about our countryside but not overly worried. If I see a piece of litter I pick it up whether its around where I live or not, doing my civic duty.

Most fairminded people would say well done on thinking up such an idea to help keep a club going that provides coaching for over 800 free of charge every week. Maybe we stop fundraising and let them run wild on the highways and by ways of the country? Which is more important?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

I am sure if everyone is as worried as you seem about our country side I am sure they would pick them up.

and what about the stuff stuck somewhere in the big expanses of wild commonage we have down here? just because it's not near a road so people can't see it to pick it up, that still doesn't stop it being litter.

while i applaud your efforts to raise funds for your club i think this was a ridiculously environmentally-unfriendly idea. maybe next time you can set a better example for the kids.

Forgot to mention its my countryside also
    artyeva wrote: »
    and what about the stuff stuck somewhere in the big expanses of wild commonage we have down here? just because it's not near a road so people can't see it to pick it up, that still doesn't stop it being litter.

while i applaud your efforts to raise funds for your club i think this was a ridiculously environmentally-unfriendly idea. maybe next time you can set a better example for the kids.

Litter is pushing the boundaries a little. Lets be honest the damage if any to OUR countryside from this is so minute its ridiculous. We set a really good example to our kids all the time.

Cant wait for a Mayo club to try this, they will probably end up in high court

Litter is pushing the boundaries a little. Lets be honest the damage if any to OUR countryside from this is so minute its ridiculous.

again - you're missing my point. you're inferring above that litter is ok because ah sher it's only small... the point isn't the size of it - it's the presence of it in the first place. throwing something up in the air for fun when you never bothered to check if it was bio-degradeable is what's actually ridiculous.
    Cant wait for a Mayo club to try this, they will probably end up in high court

and so they should!!! you seem to be taking this up as some sort of east versus west thing when it really isn't. for me it's a mindless littering thing versus missing the opportunity to do something more environmentally friendly and showing a better example to young people.

you can defend it all you want and ignore my point all you want - i'd just ask people to think before doing something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

I with arty on this one, not acceptable no matter how worthy a cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Jeepers , the tree-huggers have hi-jacked this thread in a big way:(:(:(. LeoB, don't reply to any more of that non-sensical rubbish (pun intended:D) thats been spouted by this lot.

Jeepers , the tree-huggers have hi-jacked this thread in a big way:(:(:(. LeoB, don't reply to any more of that non-sensical rubbish (pun intended:D) thats been spouted by this lot.

Wow. That's a fantastic attitude.

• Advertisement

again - you're missing my point..

No Im not missing your point at all and Im infering nothing You are.
    and so they should!!! you seem to be taking this up as some sort of east versus west thing when it really isn't. for me it's a mindless littering thing versus missing the opportunity to do something more environmentally friendly and showing a better example to young people.

you can defend it all you want and ignore my point all you want - i'd just ask people to think before doing something similar.

No they should'nt. Thats just plain silly talk And I am most certainly into any East/West thing
    Wow. That's a fantastic attitude.

Well you see sometimes people go over the top with their silly objections or protestations when someone actually tries to do something to promote a positive feeling in their community and this really annoys some people, me included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I think it was a brilliant idea Leo and if you don't mind I might steal it for the next fundraiser for our club.

And before I start getting messages from green peace this crowd have biodegradable balloons.

http://www.irishballoons.com/news.htm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

artyeva and LeoB, your posts have been deleted as they have gone out of hand.

Please refrain from this type of school yard antics.

Thread closed as its run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement