Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you cook/bake for your dog?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nathansredarmy

i recently cooked my dogs a couple hot dogs and a spiceburger they seemed pleased:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

ppink wrote: »
    I did give them raw chicken wings for the first time last week...out on the lawn so I did not have them on my floor:o.
    I used to be the same with the marrow bones I give them, but I'm so used to it now that I can even pick them up, carry them around etc without batting an eyelid - but I can't fry chicken without freaking out (in fact last christmas I cried when I had to pick up the raw turkey :o). We all have our little oddities!

I gave my mothers little JRT a pigs ear last week, my two eat them in seconds so I thought he may as well have it, get more mileage out of it. He did what yours did with the chicken - sniffed it, licked it, looked at me like I was stupid and walked off. No interest. I suppose it's whatever they are used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

My friend's basset who is now rolling cheerfully into his 15th year eats cheap assed dog food like Madra, twice a day. Makes his poo crumbly not splattery. However also on a regular basis he eats/drinks-
    Milk
    grapes
    chocolate
    curry
    mashed/roasted spuds- especially roasted in goose fat
    quorn chilli.
    chips
    raw eggs
    cheese- lots and lots of cheese, port salut to plain chedder. He LOVES camembert.
    Cheesecake
    pasta
    Duck, including bones and fat
    tomato, both cooked and in sauce
    lamb, bones-cooked or raw
    entire leftover from cooked chicken- inc bones
    the ribs from cooked ribs
    crisps
    Lots of salmon, both raw( scaly backs of darnes) and smoked
    apple slices
    melon
    watermelon
    bread with butter
    And has drunk more than one glass of Bailey's over the years, not allowed but he managed to find them.
    Oh, and an entire Terry's chocolate orange, that he found when he was about five, behind a bookcase, and some of the tin foil.
    Yet he lives, and apart from being blind he is free from heart disease and has no arthritis and is as happy as larry. So yeah, I think there is way too much fear over what dogs- basically scavengers- eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I must say on the whole you dog must not eat thing I had a Doberman for 14years and she ate everything and I mean everything, the best thing I recall was a whole 400g tub of butter!!! She was unreal there was not 1 thing that she didn't eat chew or at very least taste once.

I really don't believe in most of the list of dogs must not eat.. as what has been posted in earlier replies each dog has their own preference as to what they will eat! Just like us I some people love certain things and some are allergic to the same food every animal has its own reactions to each individual food!

That all said I would love to have the time to bake or cook up something new for my rottie, but for the time being he will be happy with his Select Gold and occasional pig's ear treats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Back to the baking/cooking:

I did try liver in the oven to toughen it up to make a chew out of it and it worked to an extent- they could not just swallow in one go!.
    I also did the carrot in the freezer which was quite good if a shock to the system:p. my little dog gave up on it and swallow half the carrot whole:eek:

any other ideas on chewy bars/cakes/stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

shinikins wrote: »
    These lists come from Veterinary science, ask your vet to provide you with a list of foodstuffs dangerous to dogs and they will give you the same one you see here.

Who is accusing anyone of poisoning their dog? If your going to be cooking or baking, (which is a fantastic idea) for your dog then you should do the responsible thing and make yourself aware of what they can and cannot eat.

BTW, Salmonella poisoning is the second most common intestinal infection in North America(between 11-13 million cases of food poisoning in Canada per year) Not rare at all.

Sigh.. Never was a great believer in vets. Or the scientific aspects.

Having recently had a cat made very poorly by giving her a diet sold to us by a vet, I am even more wary.

The US? Canada? This is Ireland.

As many here aver, most of that list is simply not true. Not in small amounts, and I trust the experiece of dog lovers here more than anything else. It is scaremongering. Hardly responsible...

Off to feed my dogs... and cats...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

garkane wrote: »
    I must say on the whole you dog must not eat thing I had a Doberman for 14years and she ate everything and I mean everything, the best thing I recall was a whole 400g tub of butter!!! She was unreal there was not 1 thing that she didn't eat chew or at very least taste once.

I really don't believe in most of the list of dogs must not eat.. as what has been posted in earlier replies each dog has their own preference as to what they will eat! Just like us I some people love certain things and some are allergic to the same food every animal has its own reactions to each individual food!

That all said I would love to have the time to bake or cook up something new for my rottie, but for the time being he will be happy with his Select Gold and occasional pig's ear treats

Tried these last week as we were given a couple. Almost caused world war three.. Collie stood there with her's in her mouth begging to be let out in the garden to bury it while wee dog decided she wanted both.

Confiscated them and later after asking advice, cut them up and fed them by hand. Great treat...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

No.

The mutt can bloody cook for itself; i don't have the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

The mutt can bloody cook for itself

picture.php?albumid=1146&pictureid=9516

As you can see above image came from cafe press. Look at these!! I really want one. http://www.cafepress.com/+pets+aprons who knows, I might even take up cooking if I got one of those aprons.

Advertisement