Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

motorbike licence at 16

• 05-05-2011 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi there,
    it will be my 16th birthday in november. i know you can ride a bike legally on a public road at 16... but can anyone tell me the procedures involved? the best place for insurance at 16? best bike? and also my friend told me that to drive a motorbike at 16 you need to carry a passenger with a full bike licence... is this true?
    thank you for any info,
    fred

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Hi there,
    d also my friend told me that to drive a motorbike at 16 you need to carry a passenger with a full bike licence... is this true?
    fred

bfkr3q.jpg

no.

as for the rest you'll need to do the basic training, cry at how much it cost. buy a moped, cry at much it costs to insure followed by crying at how slow and pointless it was to waste so much money. walking is very under rated these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

and also my friend told me that to drive a motorbike at 16 you need to carry a passenger with a full bike licence... is this true?

fred

Firstly thats complete bull****! You need a full cat. A licence to carry anyone pillion!

@ 16 you will be restricted to a A1 licence AFAIK, which means your bike can be no more than 125cc's.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

BTW Insurance will be ridiculous at your age no matter what you try to insure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Hi there,
    it will be my 16th birthday in november. i know you can ride a bike legally on a public road at 16... but can anyone tell me the procedures involved?
    Step One: pass the Theory test (cat M/A1/A)

Step Two: get a provisional license. At 16 you will only be entitled to M, or A1. This will limit you to 125cc (or 11kW)

Step Three: You will have to complete the IBT. This a mandatory course of lessons that takes about 16 hours. This can be costly depending on whether youre doing it alone/with a friend. You must complete the IBT before you are allowed to ride unaccompanied on the roads.

Step Four: Choose a bike + get insurance. Your choices are limited here due to the 125cc limit. As was said already, at your age insurance will be very high regardless of what you choose.

the best place for insurance at 16?
    There are only four companies that currently insure bikers in Ireland. They are Quinn-Direct, Adelaide, Aon and Carole Nash. As far as I know Adelaide and Carole Nash will not insure you under 24. Quinn is probably your best bet.

best bike?
    Depends on your tastes. Most people will get bored of a 125cc before too long, so probably best to get something cheap like a scooter and view it as a chance to gain experience until you can upgrade.

and also my friend told me that to drive a motorbike at 16 you need to carry a passenger with a full bike licence... is this true?
    Absolutely not. In fact it's the opposite. You are not permitted to carry a passenger until you get a full license.
    thank you for any info,
    fred

Most were answered already but hopefully theres some info there that helps. Dont be afraid to post up any other questions or thoughts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 reddie_freddie

thanks for the replys! would the insurance be below ?1000? you may LOL at this but i was considering buying a honda 50! but a friend of mine recommended a honda cbr 125cc... any thoughts?
    Fred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

thanks for the replys! would the insurance be below ?1000? you may LOL at this but i was considering buying a honda 50! but a friend of mine recommended a honda cbr 125cc... any thoughts?
    Fred

Stick your details into Quinn they're the only ones who'll insure you anyway. You can use fake names and nearby addresses if you want.

Fred

Hard to know, what I did was go to Quinn's Website and just make up details to get an idea of a quote.

If you can find a good Honda 50, they are probably one of the most bulletproof machines ever made. No matter how much you punish it, it will keep asking for more! Dont know much about the cbr 125, but they would be more expensive to insure because they are (along with the nsr) the go-to bike for 16 year old's that want to ride like a maniac.

Where in the country are you based? If you take a trip to a bike shop you might get to look at some bikes that might interest you.

quinn is your only hope. adelaide wont insure 125's for some reason.

i entered some fake details into quinns website... at the end of all that they said they couldn't provide me with a quote...
    yes honda 50 is a good comfortable bike i drove one before...
    i am based in Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

adelaide need you to be >25, but this may have changed recently..

no point using the online calcs imo, best to ring

• Advertisement

i entered some fake details into quinns website... at the end of all that they said they couldn't provide me with a quote...
    yes honda 50 is a good comfortable bike i drove one before...
    i am based in Donegal

Tried it myself just making stuff up. I got a quote of €707 on a 2005 Honda 50 valued at €1000 (Third Party Only) But couldnt get a quote on a CBR 125 or a CBF125. You'll have to give them a ring.

aah rite... i might even settle for a honda 50... but i also hear that there is good power in 2-stroke bikes... what do you guys think? might be a bit of a balls filling it up with 2-stroke all the time though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ah wee scooter might be grand for you for a year or two. Great ways to get your ncb up

dunno about the wee scooter... im ruling it out for the moment;)

dunno about the wee scooter... im ruling it out for the moment;)

any 2 stroke other than a scooter is going to cost a fortune to insure thats if they quote you at all. although you could try getting quotes on an rs50. something like that might not be too bad to insure.

EDIT: €707 on an rs50 with your details. not too bad.

Step Three: You will have to complete the IBT. This a mandatory course of lessons that takes about 16 hours. This can be costly depending on whether youre doing it alone/with a friend. You must complete the IBT before you are allowed to ride unaccompanied on the roads.
    is the ibt just a training course?
    i thought i had to take lessons with a driving instructor on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

I haven't done the IBT, but I've found it's usually done in groups of between 6 and 12 people. It's cheaper that way.

Yeah it's basically a course of lessons, usually you'll start somewhere private, or in a car park or something. And then progress on to the roads. But until you've completed the IBT you are not allowed on the roads without a supervising instructor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

IBT is for bikes and is 16 hours over 2 days.

EBT is for cars and requires 12 hours on the roads signed off by an ADI with homework logged.

is it difficult?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

At 16 your options on bike are limit as you know

My mate started out on a honda 50 with a box on the back and a basket up front.. now 15+ years later he's riding around on a fireblade, he always talks about loving the honda 50, it being his favourite bike for years even after he replaced it.. i reckon it would be a cool start and sure i was driving home from donegal and there was a group of 6 lads racing honda 50s there a cool bike and in my opinion have much more class then standard scooters and low CC sports bikes.

i was 26 on provisional and my insurance third party fire and theft on a cbr125 was about €700.

try budget for some good gear, splash out on a lid at least, im sure at 16 you have a bit of growth left so fancy leathers are a bit of a waste but it's cheaper to replace gear than skin so cover it up

Looking forward to hearing what bike you get once your IBT is sorted.

yes the honda 50s are a great bike maybe a bit underrated...
    i can take my theory test now at 15
    but can i take my ibt at 15? or do i have to wait until im 16?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

yes the honda 50s are a great bike maybe a bit underrated...
    i can take my theory test now at 15
    but can i take my ibt at 15? or do i have to wait until im 16?

You will need a vilid learners permit to do the IBT.

Go back a few pages and have a read, i have a thread about my IBT here.

ok thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Im thinking of getting my daughter a moped/scooter at 16 from these guys

http://www.scooter.co.uk/50cc-scooters-for-sale.html

she is diabetic, any ideas how much more insurance would be for a diabetic or if there are any restrictions?

Im going now to look through the threads about IBT and Theroy tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

IBT can no longer be done in groups apparently.

It's going to cost me €1100+

WTF! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

IBT can no longer be done in groups apparently.

It's going to cost me 1100+

WTF! :(
    Walk a mile, that is four times the going rate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

she is diabetic, any ideas how much more insurance would be for a diabetic or if there are any restrictions?

Im going now to look through the threads about IBT and Theroy tests.
    Your local shop would probably be better to buy a scoot from.
    Don't know about the insurance for a diabetic. I know my uncle is diabetic and his insurance is bigger all but that's in a car. Can't imagine it being to much more. Its gonna be costly for her anyways because her age.

As i said in the first page of this thread the honda 50's are a good bike... i might just get one myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

im also 16 in may could somebody give me an idea of the price of the ibt please i seen 1100 mentioned above :O

Advertisement