Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling posture

• 05-05-2011 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Everyone
    I'm new to cycling,I just bought a road bike and have been out a few times. I find my neck and shoulder muscles really sore afterwards and was wondering is there any specific posture tips to reduce this or is this normal.
    Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

OP, the handle bars could be set too low (relative to the saddle height).
    This would force you into a "race posture".It might look good, but wont feel good unless you're used to it, and even then, it's not for everyone.

You could try raising the bars a little, even 10 or 20mm will make a big difference. You can usually raise the bars quite easily by either,
    a) flipping the stem (piece that connects the handle bars to top of fork) to tilt upwards instead of horizontal or downwards.
    b) putting spacers under the stem, which would raise the stem (and bars).

If you're not sure, your local bike shop could probably advise and help get the setup better.

You could also try changing where you grip the bars when you're out, the advantage of road bike bars is the variety of hand positions,
    on top, corners, brake hoods and in the drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭LD

I've recently switched to a road bike, something I was unsure about because I have a history of neck/shoulder pain from tension when playing musical instruments.

I found that for the first week or two I had pains like you are describing. I was gripping too hard and I was tense because I wasn't used to the bike and didn't feel in control but once I got used to it I was able to relax more. Now I'm fine, although I sometimes check myself to make sure I'm not holding my muscles when I don't need to. You're not actually doing much supporting with your arms and shoulders, more balancing I find. It might not be the posture you're in but how much tension you're using to keep yourself in it.

That said, do make sure you've your bike setup properly. Also, since I'm a newbie on road bikes, listen to these experienced guys on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

It happens. Either keep going easing yourself into it, remember to change hand position often, or do as coastwatch says and make your ride position more relaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Even Gollum took a little while to get comfortable with his aggressive road cycling position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Fenners99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK0PDGSQe5c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

check you set up. it means everything. I spent a year totally set up wrong. ~i spent alot of money to get it right recently and wow what a difference! the link above is a will give you a few ideas if you are set up right. dont grip the bars too tight, and its al about TITS - Time In The Saddle other than that theres no pain without gain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noeleoreid

coastwatch wrote: »
    OP, the handle bars could be set too low (relative to the saddle height).
    This would force you into a "race posture".It might look good, but wont feel good unless you're used to it, and even then, it's not for everyone.

You could try raising the bars a little, even 10 or 20mm will make a big difference. You can usually raise the bars quite easily by either,
    a) flipping the stem (piece that connects the handle bars to top of fork) to tilt upwards instead of horizontal or downwards.
    b) putting spacers under the stem, which would raise the stem (and bars).

If you're not sure, your local bike shop could probably advise and help get the setup better.

You could also try changing where you grip the bars when you're out, the advantage of road bike bars is the variety of hand positions,
    on top, corners, brake hoods and in the drops.

Hey there, I too am new to cycling and im having the same problem.Im also thinking it has to to be with posture or the bike setup. I just have my new bike about three weeks and been out on it about ten times, but my pain is all in my lower back.

I think it may benefit me to raise the stem a bit as my riding position is very low and I am not looking at winning races or anything , just to be comfortable is most important to me. Could you be a bit more specific on how to go about raising the stem ?? I have a Giant OCR4 Compact and it appears to have 3 spacers below the stem .... does this mean I need to buy more spacers to raise the stem ? I have an alan key that seems to fit all the different adjustment sites and I wouldnt be too nervous about taking things apart if I had some directions or idea of how to raise it.

Cheers
    Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Lumen wrote: »
    Even Gollum took a little while to get comfortable with his aggressive road cycling position.

that is one flat back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

i found when i started cycling a lot after the winter break, i found the bike was set up too aggressively insofar as the handlebar was very low relative to the saddle and it hurt the shoulders.
    I found it uncomfortable and I wanted to flip the stem

However I couldnt flip the stem because the brake cable was too tight

1200 kilometers on the bike since then, and 5 kilos lost in body weight and i dont hurt anymore, as you get fitter, you prefer a more aero riding position, and you get used to it,and start to like it.

The last thing I want to do now is raise the handlebar or shorten the stem, and it doesnt hurt, because Im used to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noeleoreid

This is gonna sound stupid but im only a beginner cyclist , what the hell does it mean to flip the stem? Would the handle bars not be upside down then?? Genuine question??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

noeleoreid wrote: »
    This is gonna sound stupid but im only a beginner cyclist , what the hell does it mean to flip the stem? Would the handle bars not be upside down then?? Genuine question??

You take the handlebars out of the stem first. Then flip the stem, most stems have an angle on them and would normally be installed angling upwards, so flipping it angles the stem downwards resulting in lower handlebars when reinstalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

funkyjebus wrote: »
    You take the handlebars out of the stem first. Then flip the stem, most stems have an angle on them and would normally be installed angling upwards, so flipping it angles the stem downwards resulting in lower handlebars when reinstalled.
    On a road bike it is usually the other way around, they come pointing down, so flipping them raises the handlebars. You can also get stems with more of an angle if you need to go higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Be aware of how you are holding the bars too. I developed an awful habit from cycling a mountain bike on roads before I got into road cycling, which was pressing on grips with the base of my palms and lightly gripping the bars with my fingers. Which was fine for fork suspension and big tires. But on the road bike all the bumps and vibrations of the road were being directly transferred up the fork and directly up my arms and shoulders. My wrists would be in bits whenever I was out for more than two or three hours. Sounds obvious but eventually sorted this by wearing better gloves and also by being advised to be gripping both the bars and break hoods with the mid palm between my thumb and pointing finger to allow the softer part of the hand to do some of the absorption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Lumen wrote: »

Where did you get that portrait of me?

Advertisement