Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Areas in Kilteragh

• 05-05-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Anyone who lives in Kilteragh will have noticed the the green areas are in rag order. I've got in contact with Cllr James Collins, and the skinny is that Kilteragh has NOT been taken over the Limerick CC, it is still in the hands of the developer. He's bankrupt, so not much point in trying to get him to do anything.

It seems like the only credible, future-proof scenario is to organise a residents association to take action with the current situation, and to apply to the LCC for a "Grass cutting grant" in 2012 (current scheme is closed).

To the best of my knowledge there is currently no residents association in Kilteragh, but I'd be glad to be told otherwise - does anyone have any further details on this?

If not, it's something I want to try to get the wheels moving on, could you PM if you are interested? My current thoughts are to get an email list set up, which can be used to send out information to the residents. My hope is that once people know the story, it'll inspire them to take action themselves, and the priority is getting the greens cut asap. I don't think they've been done in 2011 at all.

Suggestions and feedback also very welcome in the thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

How come the CC has not taken it over? I mean the estate was finished several years ago? What happened last year in terms of the greens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

If Limerick CC have not taken over is there not a management company / fees in place to look after such issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

hi. I live there a few years now and I don't think there is a residents association. I was talking to James about the lights for a while and they have been fixed by LCC a few weeks ago. The grass is a different issue though. The council are not going to do it for anyone anymore. There is a grant available but kinda awkward. Insurance needs to be in place and where would the lawnmower reside....... stuff like that needs to be ironed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EdRey

D1stant wrote: »
    How come the CC has not taken it over? I mean the estate was finished several years ago? What happened last year in terms of the greens?

I understand LCC has not taken it over due to terms of the planning permission not being fulfilled. There was meant to be a pitch / playground included, but this hasn't been done. I assume LCC are digging their heels in to try to drag it out for as long as possible. I find it highly unlikely that a bankrupt developer will prioritise a playground in the short term. The developer was cutting the greens until he went tits up.
    If Limerick CC have not taken over is there not a management company / fees in place to look after such issues?
    Don't think so. I've certainly never paid any mgmt fees.

The grass is a different issue though. The council are not going to do it for anyone anymore. There is a grant available but kinda awkward. Insurance needs to be in place and where would the lawnmower reside....... stuff like that needs to be ironed out.

<rant>If the gardener sticks his head into a lawnmower the give him a Darwin Award :-) </rant>

Anyway, the grant is closed for 2011, so in the short-term it isn't an option. I understand that it is €1000 per year, and we need to apply in 2012.

• Advertisement

EdRey wrote: »
    <rant>If the gardener sticks his head into a lawnmower the give him a Darwin Award :-) </rant>

Anyway, the grant is closed for 2011, so in the short-term it isn't an option. I understand that it is €1000 per year, and we need to apply in 2012.

FYI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fidan

Hey there.We also live in Kilteragh and for the last few weeks have been trying to get to the bottom of who's responsible for the estate.When we contacted the CC they basically said its noting to do with them,even when we asked them just to clean the grafitti off the piers on the front,not a major job,a powerwasher would have it done in 20 mins,they said a flat no.According to them its all up to McInerneys as the estate hasn't been taken into charge.We all know mcinerneys are going to do feck all as their burst.Only thing is that someone is cutting the green down by the roundabout,the ardbrackin bit+as far as i know ardbrackin is mcinerneys development aswell????Dont know where to go from here but would be more then happy to help you out Edray in any way we can as something needs to be done before its lost all together.Think its time to set up some sort of residents group or even get a managment crowd in to price the upkeep of the estate+then try and do some sort of a once off whip round to pay for that for the few mts from April to Sept..Its only a matter of time before kids try and play in the big green+are never seen again the grass is so high!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

I understand that there is a clause deep in the small print of the new multi unit development bill that came into effect about a month ago. The clause goes something like if 80% of the registered electors of a multi unit development that is substantially complete formally petition the council to take over the development then the council must take it over within a specified time. I havent looked it up myself but I understand it is a nightmare for some councils who are finding themselves flooded with petitions to take on the estates and apartment blocks but no extra funds to do the work. It is also causing near panic among the cowboy management companies (who are usually owned by the developer who see it as a handy little earner). They were the real target of the law when the green party forced it through the Dail and the councils are just collatoral damage. There has not been much publicity about it yet because the greens no longer exist to take credit and Fine Gael Labour control most councils so dont want to mention it. But its starting to snowball in some councils so you should check it out and if it applies get the application in asap before the queue gets too long or the government find a way out of it.

Fidan wrote: »
    Only thing is that someone is cutting the green down by the roundabout,the ardbrackin bit+as far as i know ardbrackin is mcinerneys development aswell????
    I understand that these people pay a management fee? Or maybe it was just some good neighbour?

EdRey wrote: »
    I understand that these people pay a management fee? Or maybe it was just some good neighbour?

Next time i see him there il just ask.No harm to find out.Talking to a few lads in work and they all have to take care of their own estates.So i think its the only option myself.Getting to the point though that something will have to be done asap as its gone beyond bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭d1980

Hi,

Just to let you know, I hav experience with Mc Inerney in both the old and newer phase. The Clonmore/Clonmacken area has a mgt company in place and the charge is approx 250 pa. for a house, a bit more for apts. The front of the estate should have been handed over to the council but from what ive heard,McInerney had not all the i's dotted and t's crossed for the handover so not sure where that leaves things.

PM me if you need more info

I presume bin charges are included in that 250 by the look of it,seems abit steep for the amount of grass around there?To be honest the front of the estate is what badly needs to be looked after as it looks so bad at the moment.The big green would be next.If you could Pm me any info id really appreciate it,dont know what il do but be nice to look into it abit more at least.
    Thanks

Cllr James Collins has told me that he'd be available to meet up this week to discuss further. He should hopefully be able to answer most people's questions in an official capacity, which should give us some pointers on what to do next.

Could you PM me if you are interested in attending and I'll send the specifics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 AMcL

From what a friend of mine, living further in to the back of the estate tells me is McInerney are cutting that grass back there, and the residents are not paying any extra for it (as far as she understands it). I think its very important that we have a good turn out for the meeting with Cllr Collins in order to get on top of this before it gets even worse. Driving in to the estate in the evening times depresses me so much because of the complete disrepair it has fallen in to. A small bit of a spruce up is all it needs.

AMcL wrote: »
    From what a friend of mine, living further in to the back of the estate tells me is McInerney are cutting that grass back there, and the residents are not paying any extra for it (as far as she understands it). I think its very important that we have a good turn out for the meeting with Cllr Collins in order to get on top of this before it gets even worse. Driving in to the estate in the evening times depresses me so much because of the complete disrepair it has fallen in to. A small bit of a spruce up is all it needs.

it was the same when all the lighting was gone too. McInerney was supposed to be responsible for this too but James sorted this for the council to repair them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

could u send james out to westbury to get our street lights repaired before we are in complete darkness.clare co co got hundereds of thousands euro in building levies .where has it gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

molard wrote: »
    could u send james out to westbury to get our street lights repaired before we are in complete darkness.clare co co got hundereds of thousands euro in building levies .where has it gone.

Ask Alan Dukes and the boys in Anglo.

molard wrote: »

Cathal Crowe is your local man there right?

Bump.

Meeting is tonight! PM me for the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 T Mahoney

Hi there. I am also a resident in Kilteragh, living in Oaklane. I Have to say I agree that it is very depressing driving through the estate now with the state is has gone too. We do have to take action before it is too late. I rang the CC and got much the same response. I would be very interested in meeting with Cllr James Collins and joining a residents committe if we go that route. I also agree that we might have to get together and put together some monies to get the grass cut if we get no joy with James. I would be more than happy to put money in for this as looks awful at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 T Mahoney

Can I just confirm when and where meeting is on tonight??

perhaps just organise a colection and hire someone to cut the grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Some time back when we experienced a similar problem in our estate, we sent out a flyer to each of the residents and arranged for an evening to clean up the estate. We got a huge turnout and a lot of work was done on just one evening. We then followed that up by arranging meetings with various officials and eventually got the problem sorted.
    However if people are getting depressed and upset by the appearance then I suggest they consider cleaning it up themselves as an interim measure ;)

Meetings are now taking place, a clean up day is being scheduled, a residents association set up and I believe it will be tendered to private company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kmpuskas

AMcL

When you say "Tendered" what are you taking about, CC sending the maintenance out for tender or the new "RA" sending it out for tender?

Who voted for this decision and when is the next meeting?

Please PM on any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

At a rough guess there are 200 lawnmowers in Killetragh.

Whats the problem?

Coordinating 200 lawnmowers ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kmpuskas

D1stant wrote: »
    At a rough guess there are 200 lawnmowers in Killetragh.

Whats the problem?

unless your a silage contractor there isnt any problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dee1412

Hi all,

I'm living in at the back of the estate in Taracrea (beside Huntsfield) some one came along some day last week and half cut the green in front of the house, bout 20 mins ago a note was dropped in the door to say there is going to be a meeting in the Crescent Comp on Thursday night

• Advertisement

Yes, there is a meeting on Thursday night in the Crescent Comprehensive School at 8pm.

The aim is to bring all residents up to speed with the latest developments, put a short-term agenda in place, and to elect a committee to progress things long term.

Advertisement