Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadmeadow Estuary Public Art Proposal - STOP THIS!!!

Options
  • 05-05-2011 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Several of the local papers carried a story over the past two weeks of the Council's proposed new public art/sculpture/bird hide that is planned to be put up on the south bank of the estuary.

Though I like the concept of usable art, I don't like the design or the choice of material (Concrete made to look like wood) what do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 niamkava

Here is a link to the Malahide Gazette where you can see the story - its on page 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I would actually like to see some references as to what it may actually look like as opposed to you writing 'CONCRETE' over and over. You're trying very hard to tarnish the artist's name. Can't you get in trouble for that sort of thing?

I'v just read the article. The finished piece will not look anything like the OP will have you believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I would actually like to see some references as to what it may actually look like as opposed to you writing 'CONCRETE' over and over. You're trying very hard to tarnish the artist's name. Can't you get in trouble for that sort of thing?

I'v just read the article. The finished piece will not look anything like the OP will have you believe.

2hrs 6mins in, artists presentation to FCC on the Hide Sculptor. Its a fully function birdhide too.
    http://connect.fingalcoco.public-i.tv/site/player/pl_v7.php?a=57033&t=0&m=wm&l=en_GB

OP Whats wrong with CONCRETE? If its good enough for the Romans its good enough for Fingal!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Stinks of NIMBYism tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

niamkava wrote: »
    Several of the local papers carried a story over the past two weeks of the Council's proposed new public art/sculpture/bird hide that is planned to be put up on the south bank of the estuary.

The artist, Garrett Phelan, with the help of Fingal proposes to erect a hideous CONCRETE shed, in a very prominent location. The sculpture is nothing more than an unimaginative copy of the Rogerstown Estuary bird hide, a low key timber structure, which he wants to cast in CONCRETE! Where is the art in that?

This will be an eyesore, to say the least. Surely the council can find a decent artist or architect to design a more sensitive structure, that is ecologically friendly, blends into the landscape, is accessible to all (I don't see any ramps) and not made of CONCRETE - is the M50 bridge not bad enough already? This thing will need to be on piles it will be so heavy...

It still has to go to planning (Local Authority Part 11), so we can still stop it. Please write to the council when it goes on display - I'll update this thread when the time comes.

I'm having touble CONCRETE sleeping. I read your post CONCRETE and this word keeps flashing in front of my eyes. I think CONCRETE that it begins with the letter C.

Brainwashed and Insomniac, Northwood Santry ;)

• Advertisement

CONCRETE !

OK so I overdid the Concrete thing there - sorry!

I edited the post so as not to distract from the debate... is this OK as public art?

OK so I overdid the Concrete thing there - sorry!

I edited the post so as not to distract from the debate... is this OK as public art?

LOL

Its a bird hide. Its not the Taj Mahal. It is what it is. What did u want a 56 foot replica of a Gannet made from 50 million pieces of matchwood and glued with pine resins?

LOL

Its a bird hide. Its not the Taj Mahal. It is what it is. What did u want a 56 foot replica of a Gannet made from 50 million pieces of matchwood and glued with pine resins?

Precisely - a bird hide, not a bomb shelter. Not so sure about your gannet either :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love it and I think it'll be put to great use by the birdwatchers and wildlife photographers at the estuary. I go to the estuary a lot and have often wondered why there wasn't a hide there.

Concrete or not I think it'll enhance the estuary! And let's face it, a wooden one wouldn't last long now would it? It'd almost certainly be vandalised.

Maybe the next piece of public art could be carefully disguised and artistically designed public toilets.......

Edit: OP Do you live in the area? What's behind your objection to this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

What did u want a 56 foot replica of a Gannet made from 50 million pieces of matchwood and glued with pine resins?

Imagine the bonfire that'd make!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Any structure built on the estuary will have to go on piles. The M1 bridge is built on piles. My only concern would be whether the artist has consulted with a structural engineer to ensure there won't be problems in the future with the piles and the weight of the structure.

Concrete will be far cheaper and easier to maintain and won't require staining or sealing in the same way as wood will. It should withstand the waters of the estuary a bit better than wood which could rot.

Eoineo wrote: »
    My only concern would be whether the artist has consulted with a structural engineer to ensure there won't be problems in the future with the piles and the weight of the structure.

Wouldn't the planning dept and the county engineers have had to see the plans to sign off? Its a building after all. The artist is just the concept creator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I think that enormous M1 bridge was a bigger deal and even it hasn't spoiled the estuary for me.

Here are a few examples of what this could be with little more effort.

small-pavilion-in-Netherland.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfn1x7KIZwEK4Ixzt3o7buuxQfTEaVNiGrfH-FRMc3Ek6d8oLnYA

cam0010.JPG

Missed opportunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Whereas I don't oppose the "idea" on it's own, when I was reading the article in the Fingal, all I could think was "really?".

a) Is there a need for it? (plenty of birdspotters, photographers and the like around a normal enough day)
    b) Where is the funding coming from - If it's from Fingal CO CO, surely they can think of better purposes to spend it than modern design for the sake of modern design

From a design point of view I think it looks alright - although those pics above do have a much more stylish approach to it

sNarah wrote: »
    Whereas I don't oppose the "idea" on it's own, when I was reading the article in the Fingal, all I could think was "really?".

a) Is there a need for it? (plenty of birdspotters, photographers and the like around a normal enough day)
    b) Where is the funding coming from - If it's from Fingal CO CO, surely they can think of better purposes to spend it than modern design for the sake of modern design

From a design point of view I think it looks alright - although those pics above do have a much more stylish approach to it

Funding comes from the below. Arts doesn't usually make money so income has to come from somewhere else.

http://www.fingalarts.ie/public-art
    The Per Cent for Art Scheme allows for a percentage cost of a capital Project of a capital project to be used for the commissioning of an art project.

In 1986 the Department of the Environment adopted this scheme and it was initially called “The Artist Embellishment Scheme” and provided the opportunity for Local Authorities to commission permanent sculptural works. Since a review of the scheme, which has since extended to all Government Department with construction budget, the scope of the artwork commissioned under the scheme has also expanded.

The Per Cent for Art National Guidelines 2004 (currently under another review) is the accepted handbook for Local Authorities undertaking commissions.

“The Scope of Public Art Has Widened to include not just sculpture’s close relations, architecture and painting, but also music, literature, film video, multimedia and sound art as various performing arts including, theatre, dance, opera, performance and live art” ( The per cent for art, National Guidelines, 2004)

It seems a very practical art installation, made with materials for the most part manufactured locally. I don't see too many timber forests or glass works in Fingal and concrete is tougher to vandalise. Like they could have come up with something absurd like a giant needle with a bug stuck on the end!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

Though I like the concept of usable art, I don't like the design or the choice of material (Concrete made to look like wood) what do you think?

I think that as the council are so short of money they should scrap this idea and spend the money where it is more needed. I'm sure the readers could think of many examples of this, eg. cutting the grass verges on the many narrow roads around the area which are so overgrown that some roads are now 4 or 5 ft. narrower and as a result, more dangerous, or re-employing the 2 park rangers who patrolled the parks against anti-social behaviour. As far as I can see the birds don't seem too bothered by people out walking or taking photos so why the need to hide? If the council wants to improve the estuary, why don't they do something about the condition of the road on the north side of it?
    Regards,
    BB.

I'd love to see them adding more parking spaces along there too, and maybe even a public toilet.

Advertisement