Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is 40 to old for mountain biking ?

• 05-05-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I took up cycling about 2 years ago and I love it.
    I feel like trying a little mountain biking now, something that will give me a little bit of an adrenaline rush.
    Roadies come in all ages, shapes, and sizes, is it the same for mountain biking , or is it more for the younger dare devil type ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Really, if you think you're fit enough for it, I see no reason at all not to give it a try.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A good friend of mine is in his seventies and still gets out on the hills occassionally so 40 definitely isn't too old for mtb-ing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭531

I first rode an MTB on the mountains 6 months ago at age 47. It's great fun, a nice change from the road. Forty is too old for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

not at all, if ur fit enuf or willing to wait while u get fit enuf on the mtb

I am > 40, mtb last few years and my mate bought a new Scott MTB bike and he is 47,

depends on ur fitness !!! or ur willing ness to get fit ,

but dont forget great scenary to be enjoyed alos in MTB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Lots of older lads into the MTB, it's a great change from the road.
    The problem is, people see MTV videos on Youtube/ TV etc with rock/metal music etc, and think it's a young lads game....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

Thanks for all the responses , now where's a good place to start ? I don't know anyone into mountain biking, so I'll be starting from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I started MTBing about 20 years ago, when I was 40.
    Still at it and loving it. I particularly like places like Ballyhoura and Ballinatoe.
    I tend to stay away from really technical trails. I no longer bounce, when I fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

MAD have introduction spins for beginners to the sport open to all ages. The last three intro spins finished last month. Keep an eye on forum for more. Or better still if you dont have a bike yet. You can rent one here and also do a trail intro with Niall Davis. One of the best Mtb rider/trainer in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Any age is good for mountain biking once you feel fit enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Used to work with a fella who only took it up in his 40's - he got seriously into it and was very good at it. See plenty of riders of that age round the ballyhouras. Anecdotally, it seems that many fellas who may have been on the road bikes for 20odd years just fancy a change and hit the trails instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Never too old for MTB!
    Get a bike and there are a load of beginner club spins to head out. 2 years on a road bike will give you a great advantage with the legs starting off.
    Send me a PM if your based around Dublin and want to take on a few tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

MTB is great fun, your never to old to have fun. Check out Ballyhoura, bike rentals, hot showers, secure car parking, trails are as hard or as easy as you want them to be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Ballyhoura's made for 40+ and unfit cyclists. The climbs are mostly on fire roads and just as it gets difficult there's one of those little signs that tells you it's time to hit the single track again. Get out there and try it, you'll love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

OP ignore this bunch of well-wishers. 4:eek: is DEFINITELY too old for MTBing.

I got my ass handed to me by my 40+ friend the last time that I went out at Ballyhoura

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

op you should join a club and you will soon realize that your actually pretty young for it :D in my club there is a ton of guys in there 40's and older, as well as that a club is a great place to get started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

The best descender I know on a MTB is pushing 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Not at all, you will love it (And no dangerous traffic to contend with either:D) Check out www.biking.ie, they do MTB beginner lessons in Ballinastoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

The winner of S1 at the 3rd round of the NPS last Sunday is in his 40's,and so was the winner of S2!! So you will have plenty of time to get fit and start winning race's.Enjoy the trails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

Started MTBing about 3 years ago at 47 (and 16.5 stone), turned 50 in February! Do most of the NPS races now and while I'm far from competitive there's always plenty of people behind me! I've also lost over 2 stone in the process! Just to keep the boredom at bay I've done a couple of road races this year as well!
    Couldn't recommend it enough ....... just sorry I didn't start a bit earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭joeduke

Im 41 and only started MTBing 2 years ago and I love it, the first few times out were a bit of a shock but I got a bit better every time.
    I still get the odd dirty look from young lads when Im getting ready to do Ballinastoe but nothing puts a smile on my face as half way around I start to pass them out and then the laugh is on them. Enjoy your MTBing:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

At 40 you're too old for most things anyway. I wouldn't attempt if I were you, you might fall and break something and bones are longer and harder to heal at your age. Get a book about mountain biking, it's safer.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

40 is young for mountain bikers these days... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

At 40 you should be looking into retirement homes and the pros and cons of different types of denture fixture glues :P

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

pros and cons of different types of denture fixture glues :P
    Titanium implants FTW ...

Advertisement