Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of getting a dish realigned

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

STB wrote: »

I think the difference here is that people have no regard for those who have persisted at the sat & aerial game as a way of living and those who think they can reform it by entering a trade with suggested bargain installs.

I know my own limits when it comes to plumbing for example! I certainly wouldnt be offering my services to anyone as a sat installer or a plumber ! :)

Lets face it these bash the installers threads are becoming as boring as the TV licence threads.

A Very true post STB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I agree that business is about offereing good value but €30 is so far of the mark that I would suspect that its black economy without proper insurance which puts the customer at risk.

tmcw wrote: »
    One thing that struck me about the hostility to the €30 "quote" was that, ok, maybe no profit in that, but it may lead to repeat business or referrals; isn't that a part of what business is about?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »

It seems that way all right Tony. The OP seems to be Knowledgeable in Satellite dishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

excollier wrote: »
    So if I chose some loss leader tasks, with little or no capital expense, then that's what I did.

Hang on, you're saying that at 30 Euro, you were making a loss in the hopes of getting new business? Then how is 30 Euro a reasonable quote?

I was at the TRADE seminar for Saorview a few weeks back and Mary Curtis the head of Saorview said a service call to an Aerial will cost €60. Now are we going to get Part-time installers and Diy chancers driving to a Two storey house climb up to the chimney realign an Aerial and charge €30. Or will they leave it to the Installer who has a neck for heights all the Proper equipment and is covered by Pl Insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

excollier wrote: »
    Now come on, he asked for a dish re-alignment, I gave a sensible price for just that, any number of other problems could have occurred, surely, but just walk up a ladder to re-align a dish, plain and simple, €30 would be plenty, any more would be just plain greedy.
    End of.

"Just walk up a ladder to re-align a dish, plain and simple"

I believe your above post is bad advice and misleading. Please find below notes on the Work at Height Regulations.

Working at Height
    These are briefing notes on the Work at Height Regulations - and some of the things you should be doing about them.

What is work at height?
    Work at height is work in any place, including a place at, above or below ground level, where a person could be injured if they fell from that place. Access and egress to a place of work can also be work at height.

Examples of work activities that are classified as working at height:

Working on trestles
    Working on a flat roof
    Erecting false work or formwork
    Working on a ladder
    Working at ground level adjacent to an excavation;
    Working on formwork within an excavation
    Working near or adjacent to fragile materials
    Our key messages
    Carry out risk assessments for work at height activities and make sure that all work is Planned, Organised and carried out by a competent person
    Follow the General Principles of Prevention for managing risks from work at height – take steps to avoid, prevent or reduce risks
    Chose the right work equipment and select collective measures to prevent falls (such as guard rails and working platforms) before other measures which may only reduce the distance and consequences of a fall (such as nets or airbags) or may only provide fall-arrest through personal protection equipment.
    Requirements for employers
    The Work at Height Regulations require employers to ensure that:

All work at height is properly planned and organised
    A risk assessment is carried out for all work conducted at height
    Appropriate work equipment is selected and used
    People working at a height are competent
    Equipment used for work at height is properly inspected and maintained
    Risks from fragile surfaces are properly controlled
    The risk assessment should include a careful examination of what harm could be caused from working at height with a view to taking the effective steps to reduce the likelihood of this harm occurring, either through avoiding the activity or, where this is not reasonably practicable, by carrying it out in a safe manner using work equipment that is appropriate to the task and the level of risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just one question-Did the op ever get his dish realigned?

I can realign a dish no problem and have done it but only as favours for family and friends.If someone else asks me then I pass it on to a qualified installer as they are properly trained to do it and then the person wanting the work done is covered if there's any issues.
    No point crying afterwards when 'the guy down the road' makes a hames of the job.
    Would you get a guy to service your car on the cheap because he can change the oil in his and has a box of spanners?

I partly sympathise with Excollier as he had to give up his trade-but quoting ridiculous prices for work will be met with contempt.I've had instances with people wanting work done for free but when I explain what's involved and ask are they prepared to do it themselves they soon change their tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Well, wasn't that great fun?
    Now that I have been found overwhelmingly guilty, might I ask Tony to decide on the my punishment.
    And please, show mercy, your honour.
    (At this point, excollier bows head and tugs forelock)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'm not a moderator, my guess is though when one comes along the thread will be closed.(it was closed yesterday and re opened) At this point its far from certain why it was started in the first place.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement