Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning right on the bridge

• 05-05-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

This really annoys me.

While coming into Waterford on the old bridge there are two lanes. The left lane traffic filters off to the left. Obviously it takes longer while in the right hand land lane as you need to wait for the lights to go fully green.
    What annoys me is when people in this lane indicate to go right down Grattan Quay, despite there being a long line of traffic heading out of Waterford.
    So in this case the driver turning down Grattan Quay holds up all the traffic waiting to go up Bridge Street.

Rant over!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

This really annoys me.

While coming into Waterford on the old bridge there are two lanes. The left lane traffic filters off to the left. Obviously it takes longer while in the right hand land lane as you need to wait for the lights to go fully green.
    What annoys me is when people in this lane indicate to go right down Grattan Quay, despite there being a long line of traffic heading out of Waterford.
    So in this case the driver turning down Grattan Quay holds up all the traffic waiting to go up Bridge Street.

Rant over!

Cant say i ever noticed it TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Hear hear! I've brought this up before and got slammed about being ridiculous. It's incredibly annoying. Sometimes only 1 car gets through and everybody else has to wait for the next change. Most of the cars turning right sit on the middle of the road and dont pull over to let other traffic through. They should ban right hand turns at peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

Hear hear! I've brought this up before and got slammed about being ridiculous. It's incredibly annoying. Sometimes only 1 car gets through and everybody else has to wait for the next change. Most of the cars turning right sit on the middle of the road and dont pull over to let other traffic through. They should ban right hand turns at peak hours.

I find it indicative of the selfish, lazy and ignorant driving I see around this town!
    I mean it doesn't take much effort to realise that you are holding up hundreds of people if you do this at peak hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I find it indicative of the selfish, lazy and ignorant driving I see around this town!

One road goes both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I mean it doesn't take much effort to realise that you are holding up hundreds of people if you do this at peak hours.

lmao.. that is the most selfish comment.. you want them to change the route they are travelling cause it interferes with your driving....

pram and rattler are coming to mind here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

robtri wrote: »
    lmao.. that is the most selfish comment.. you want them to change the route they are travelling cause it interferes with your driving....

pram and rattler are coming to mind here
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

If they got rid of the two lanes at the end of bridge street I think it would ease the problem. The additional lane from the church to the lights can only accommodate 3 or 4 cars so serves little purpose and it would allow people turning right from the bridge more room to keep over (as cars wouldn't be coming against them from the second lane)

Don't know if I'm explaining myself right or if anyone would agree with me

Anyway the OPs rant is ridiculous... how else do you propose people get to Bilberry? Drive miles out of their way up by Gracedieu? Perhaps we could build a new bridge for them!!!

By the way I never need to make that right turn but I don't get angry when people in front of me do as I'm sure they aren't specifically trying to hold us up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

This really annoys me.

Rant over!

What's your ultimate destination. Can YOU use an alternative route to avoid road rage (Down the Quay and make the 1st right, or use the Bypass perhaps?)

What really gets on my wick is people comming from Sallypark and using the Right Lane when entering the r/a at the station and trying to cut accross traffic to go dwon the Quay - impatient ignorant f*ckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Goose Hyypia

Bards wrote: »
    What's your ultimate destination. Can YOU use an alternative route to avoid road rage (Down the Quay and make the 1st right, or use the Bypass perhaps?)

What really gets on my wick is people comming from Sallypark and using the Right Lane when entering the r/a at the station and trying to cut accross traffic to go dwon the Quay - impatient ignorant f*ckers

If it was me and I needed to turn down Grattan Quay I would turn right at either the Fitzwilton or the tax office where there is ample room for traffic to get by!

I totally agree with your second point too, I had it yesterday where a van stayed in the left hand lane right up the traffic lights at the end of the bridge and then decided to go incidate right into the other lane. I mean come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

if the left lane on bridge with green arrow to go down quay had arrow to go straight ahead aswell and the right lane for turning right only as more and more are using that route to avoid toll and getting to b@q , harveys .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

Gotta say, It annoys the hell out of me too.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

if the left lane on bridge with green arrow to go down quay had arrow to go straight ahead aswell and the right lane for turning right only as more and more are using that route to avoid toll and getting to b@q , harveys .....
    Best idea yet!

And what about all the cars comming from the quay turning onto the Bridge - can you imagine the tailbacks

Thats a good idea alright.

It's quite obvious that some of the earlier posters do not have to go through that carry on every evening. If they did, they would recognise that it's an issue. I also have to add that some people do make the effort to pull over and let the traffic by on the inside as much as they can but some people just sit on the middle of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

If it was me and I needed to turn down Grattan Quay I would turn right at either the Fitzwilton or the tax office where there is ample room for traffic to get by!

I totally agree with your second point too, I had it yesterday where a van stayed in the left hand lane right up the traffic lights at the end of the bridge and then decided to go incidate right into the other lane. I mean come on!

Just for the record there is not ample room for any car to get by at the Fitzwilton. If you stop to turn right there you will hold up traffic just as badly as turning right at the lights. The only difference is that it will cause a tailback back out into the yellow box at the lights which will mean when the lights turn red there will be increased chaos as the cars coming down the quay won't be able to go anywhere!!!

Turning right at the tax office isn't a great option either as it's right on a bend that some people seem to think should be taken at high speed. It would also be tight (but manageable) to squeeze past a car going right there.

In relation to changing the lights for people coming across the bridge. This was cause unmerciful tailbacks for people going down the quay as there is a good free flow in the left lane as these lights only turn red for pedestrians therefore ensuring traffic going down the quay keeps moving.

By changing the lights to include people going straight on in this lane would result in huge queues as the lights could only be green when the lights are red for people coming down the quay.

Also it would essentially make the right hand lane almost redundant on the bridge and the right hand land coming in Sallypark / Ferrybank would also be useless as it would be a only for people who essentially plan to turn right on the bridge (ignoring people who are in the right lane on the dual carriageway not crossing the bridge). Sorry but I think that's almost as ridiculous an idea
    as making it that people can't turn right off the bridge. Just my opinion though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Personally, I turn right @ the Bridge traffic lights to go down Grattan Quay every morning on the way to work. I should point out that I always leave enough room for cars travelling behing to pass me, although 9 times out of 10 the amount of oncoming traffic usually only amounts to 2/3 cars so any hold up behind me is minimal (a couple of seconds) and all this is at the peak commuter time in the morning.
    My destination is the the Northern Industrial Estate and in response to other posts if I were to take an alternative route it would easily add at least 10mins to my journey given I would have to pass thru a number of set of traffic lights & thru school going traffic.
    Finally, it seems every one has forgotten that turning right @ the Bridge is a legitimate manoeuvre. It is not against the Road Traffic Acts (unless of course you are a large artic truck!). Anyone who is sufficiently bothered by such actions be it because of time constraints (leave home a bit earlier!) or that it causes road rage (Learn to relax ppl) really need to look at themselves rather than blaming innocent folk going about their business in a law abiding fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

If you are turning right down towards Bilberry, you can move forwards enough to allow the cars behind you enough room to go straight ahead while you wait to turn. Not a whole lot of room there but there is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

nkay1985 wrote: »
    If you are turning right down towards Bilberry, you can move forwards enough to allow the cars behind you enough room to go straight ahead while you wait to turn. Not a whole lot of room there but there is enough.

Exactly! There's enough room for everybody!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

It's quite obvious that some of the earlier posters do not have to go through that carry on every evening.

Is that carry on against the rules of the road?

Exactly! There's enough room for everybody!!! :D

Yeah but unfortunately not everybody is considerate of other road users. You move up. I move up. But there are lots of people who just sit where they are when the light turns green and wait for the traffic coming against them to pass. They're not doing anything wrong as per the rules of the road but it is quite inconsiderate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

nkay1985 wrote: »
    They're not doing anything wrong as per the rules of the road but it is quite inconsiderate.

It could also be seen as inconsiderate to expect somebody to take an alternate route just so you can save yourself two minutes.

That turn off should be restricted at peak hours. And I actually live down that direction!

I still go up Summerhill and back around to avoid holding up traffic in the evening. Whats more, it's actually faster than waiting to turn right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How many people turn right coming off the bridge? I'd have thought it very few. Can traffic just go straight ahead and then turn right into Mary Street or is that one way/no right turn junction these days?

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It could also be seen as inconsiderate to expect somebody to take an alternate route just so you can save yourself two minutes.

I agree with you there but my point is that there's no need for that. If everyone just moved up when they're going to be turning right, there'd be no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Personally, I turn right @ the Bridge traffic lights to go down Grattan Quay every morning on the way to work. I should point out that I always leave enough room for cars travelling behing to pass me, although 9 times out of 10 the amount of oncoming traffic usually only amounts to 2/3 cars so any hold up behind me is minimal (a couple of seconds) and all this is at the peak commuter time in the morning.
    My destination is the the Northern Industrial Estate and in response to other posts if I were to take an alternative route it would easily add at least 10mins to my journey given I would have to pass thru a number of set of traffic lights & thru school going traffic.
    Finally, it seems every one has forgotten that turning right @ the Bridge is a legitimate manoeuvre. It is not against the Road Traffic Acts (unless of course you are a large artic truck!). Anyone who is sufficiently bothered by such actions be it because of time constraints (leave home a bit earlier!) or that it causes road rage (Learn to relax ppl) really need to look at themselves rather than blaming innocent folk going about their business in a law abiding fashion.

I take this right regularly too. I keep well over to the right though as I do appreciated the topic posters point.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

mike65 wrote: »
    How many people turn right coming off the bridge? I'd have thought it very few. Can traffic just go straight ahead and then turn right into Mary Street or is that one way/no right turn junction these days?

Ye Mary Street is two way.

What I've noticed is that there is short time between the Bridge Street lights going red and the lights on the Quay going green. If cars from Bridge Street break the red light, then by the time the Quay lights go green the car waiting to turn right onto Grattan Quay will be stuck. I've seen a few cars stuck there blocking cars from the Quay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

agree with it being a ness turn, but there is loads of room to pull in out of the way while waiting, a turning box might reduce the queues?

And what about all the cars comming from the quay turning onto the Bridge - can you imagine the tailbacks

i can't see where my idea would affect traffic coming from the quay onto the bridge?

If left lane of bridge had straight ahead arrow aswell as left for quay the left for quay can still be green when traffic from quay is going over bridge(as normal), if someone is in that lane and straight ahead is red then they can go left on quay and take right a 200yards on quay to get back on track!!!Hope thats not confusing anyone :

i can't see where my idea would affect traffic coming from the quay onto the bridge?

If left lane of bridge had straight ahead arrow aswell as left for quay the left for quay can still be green when traffic from quay is going over bridge(as normal), if someone is in that lane and straight ahead is red then they can go left on quay and take right a 200yards on quay to get back on track!!!Hope thats not confusing anyone :

cars cannot go from the Bridge up Bridge Street (Inbound) at the same time as cars frrom Quay are going over the bridge (Outbound) as you suggest

• Advertisement

cars cannot go from the Bridge up Bridge Street (Inbound) at the same time as cars frrom Quay are going over the bridge (Outbound) as you suggest

i think you don't understand what i mean!!! there may as well be no lights at all if thats what you think i mean. I 'll try explain it differently. If everything stays as it is currently but the only change is the left lane coming over bridge has green filter light to allow traffic go straight up bridge street as well as going left down the quay while the traffic lights are red coming up the quay. When the traffic is coming over bridge from the quay have the left lane of bridge can stay green as normal and the straight ahead filter light red , if any cars in left lane want to go up bridge street they will have to go down the quay and turn right at fitz insurance! Can make right lane of bridge a right turn only then.

Advertisement