Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocks, Minerals & Fossils photo game

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

This is probably waaay too easy for you guys, but I'm not sure what it is myself (only a 2nd yr geog undergrad!) Anyway found this fossil at the weekend and wondered if you could confirm what I think it is please. Thanks
    gkCYwS3dIQVUTefcZUKKqJvJ4-Xmab9HYqZ2Uo0w4AA?feat=directlink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

angeldaisy wrote: »
    This is probably waaay too easy for you guys, but I'm not sure what it is myself (only a 2nd yr geog undergrad!) Anyway found this fossil at the weekend and wondered if you could confirm what I think it is please. Thanks
    gkCYwS3dIQVUTefcZUKKqJvJ4-Xmab9HYqZ2Uo0w4AA?feat=directlink
    You need to edit the link into your ppost but I was able to get it from the email.
    Here is the link. Geography%252520Field%252520Trip%2525202011%252520028.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

You need to edit the link into your ppost but I was able to get it from the email.
    Here is the link. Geography%252520Field%252520Trip%2525202011%252520028.JPG

I think that's limestone with possibly a bit gypsum.

Is there a fossil present there with the sort of round feature right-of-centre?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Is the fossil a jellyfish?

slowburner wrote: »
    Is the fossil a jellyfish?

Nope, El Siglo was right in that its limestone. there are 2 fossils in it, one is the semi-circular white shape and the other is circular with a 'tail' shape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

The one on the right looks like a cross section through an ammonite. THe one on the left looks like some sort of Oyster type bivalve. Fossils were never my strong point in Geology I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I'd guess that most folk, even me, would know that it's limestone.
    My guess for the smaller of the two fossils is Horseshoe Crab, the second pic is the lesser known variety :D

64492F74E5D64232B37938A652C78E45-0000345227-0002630314-00256L-9DBA3FA78CCE4FED97A823711D6F8753.jpg77A9A7E6EC114233A4A6BFD1A3F1817A-0000345227-0002630313-00259L-88592480637148BEA3EEF3477307FC30.jpg

muckish wrote: »
    The one on the right looks like a cross section through an ammonite. THe one on the left looks like some sort of Oyster type bivalve. Fossils were never my strong point in Geology I'm afraid.

you're right with the bi-valve and close with the second, its not an ammonite but is a similar shape

I'd guess that most folk, even me, would know that it's limestone.
    My guess for the smaller of the two fossils is Horseshoe Crab, the second pic is the lesser known variety :D

64492F74E5D64232B37938A652C78E45-0000345227-0002630314-00256L-9DBA3FA78CCE4FED97A823711D6F8753.jpg77A9A7E6EC114233A4A6BFD1A3F1817A-0000345227-0002630313-00259L-88592480637148BEA3EEF3477307FC30.jpg

that's fab - where did you get that from?? (the 2nd one that is:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭upinthesky

El Siglo wrote: »
    I think that's limestone with possibly a bit gypsum.

Is there a fossil present there with the sort of round feature right-of-centre?

the small white one looks like a snail if you picture it sliced in half

• Advertisement

lisar816 wrote: »
    the small white one looks like a snail if you picture it sliced in half

yep, its a sea snail, at least that's what my lecturer identified it as:D

the photo was taken down in Poullsallagh Bay in the Burren, Co. Clare

huh???

kearneybobs - thanks for sorting out my picture, what do I need to do? I have another photo I want to upload. thanks

any ideas on this rock?

2q8c4fq.jpg

Trilobite in sandstone???

Trilobite in sandstone???
    yes i'm not sure on the rock it was found in a mount of rubble out the back of the house by my young lad

lisar816 wrote: »
    yes i'm not sure on the rock it was found in a mount of rubble out the back of the house by my young lad

wow thats amazing! will have to start checking all my crap rubble:D

Geography%252520Field%252520Trip%2525202011%252520162.JPG

What about this?

kearneybobs - thanks for sorting out my picture, what do I need to do? I have another photo I want to upload. thanks
    I have no idea why the picture didnt show up in your post but the link for the pic appeared in the notification email that I got for your post. I clicked on the link and it sent me to your picassa album. from there, I right clicked on the image and then clicked 'view image', which brought me to a webpage with just your image.
    To add the image to your post you should click on the little yellow image of the mountaininsertimage.gif up the top above the reply box and paste the url of the image (not of your picassa album) in to the box that pops up.
    Hope that helps.

Your latest image is a little small. Cant really make it out.

• Advertisement

tried resizing it but it wont work

Okay let me try again:o

Geography%252520Field%252520Trip%2525202011%252520162.JPG

huh???

Sorry angledaisy, I was trying to be smart with the 'www' thing. I got the horseshoe crab pics from Google images :o

Sorry angledaisy, I was trying to be smart with the 'www' thing. I got the horseshoe crab pics from Google images :o

I think I was a bit thick there as well:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Sorry Angeldaisy, do you have that picture with something like a pencil or a coin to indicate scale as it's sort of tricky working out the rock type.

As regards the rock, I'm pretty sure it's metamorphic possibly Gneiss.

El Siglo wrote: »
    Sorry Angeldaisy, do you have that picture with something like a pencil or a coin to indicate scale as it's sort of tricky working out the rock type.

As regards the rock, I'm pretty sure it's metamorphic possibly Gneiss.

its approx a 2 ft sq section of a much larger area.
    Its not a metaphorphic rock.

its approx a 2 ft sq section of a much larger area.
    Its not a metaphorphic rock.
    I was gonna suggest it might be a marble of some sort, but since you ruled out metamorphic rocks.......hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

The white bands look like quartz. Also looks like it could be part of a dyke? I can see some sort of contact.

Step23 wrote: »
    The white bands look like quartz. Also looks like it could be part of a dyke? I can see some sort of contact.

you're right in that the white band is quartz. not sure that it would be classed as a dyke - but not 100% on that, there has been uplifting though

• Advertisement

you give up??:D:D

Advertisement