Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocks, Minerals & Fossils photo game

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Chert?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

slowburner wrote: »
    Chert?

possibly, it's either chert or shale with what seems to be glauconite mixed with it.

It's a beautiful sight down in Slea Head in Kerry. Worth a visit:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

angeldaisy wrote: »
    possibly, it's either chert or shale with what seems to be glauconite mixed with it.

It's a beautiful sight down in Slea Head in Kerry. Worth a visit:D
    I was guessing chert for the greener rock btw.
    I like the way it fractures, as I am sure many a neolithic hunter-gatherer would have too. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Is this game still going? i have a lovely rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Is this game still going? i have a lovely rock!
    Yeah. post a pic of it and see if we can guess it.

• Advertisement

Oh great. I'll take the picture of the rock tomorrow and post it. I cant do it tonight - the flash would interfere with the rocks sparkle!

boards1.jpg
    boards2.jpg
    boards3.jpg
    boards4.jpg

This was given to me by a mining consultant. It is a mineral ore ( maybe you can guess?) with other minerals and crystals growing on top:)

Chalcopyrite?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

I second chalcopyrite (with calcite crystals?)

Chalcopyrite? - no its not the ore - although there may Chalcopyrite on one side of the surface.

• Advertisement

Its not pyrite is it?

On the surface there is traces of Pyrite or Chalcopyrite. The main ore of the rock is ...... guess?

This is becoming tricky. Is the surface of the sample golden in colour?

The white crystals look like calcite, though equally coud be quartz, but I see what looks like a scalenohedral calcite crystal.

Step23 wrote: »
    This is becoming tricky. Is the surface of the sample golden in colour?

The white crystals look like calcite, though equally coud be quartz, but I see what looks like a scalenohedral calcite crystal.

No its not golden its dark silver colour but on one side there is a golden shine on top of the silver. The photo's dont show it but there are also tiny little crystals that are garnet in colour and other ones ameythst in color.

Th white crystals are I would say quartz- they are far for translucent in real life than seen in the photographs. There are little mounds of a porous mounds also - maybe thats what you mean by scalenohedral calcite crystal.

The main ore is silver in colour. As you may have guessed - i'm not an expert in rocks and minerals, except i have a few samples of this ore.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

GS..... Is it Irish?

This sample is not Irish, its german as far as i know ,,, but the same ore was definitely mined in Ireland until 1980's (possibly still is in some parts of the county ).

barite?

Your getting very warm!

Zinc... final offer

Your close.. zinc / barite found alongside this ore,,, often, but its another metal than zinc.

• Advertisement

Galena?
    :pac:

Yes its Galena!

Yes its Galena!
    Duffer's luck :D
    Using my immense powers of reason I deduced that if it wasn't a copper ore it was most likely a lead ore. There aren't too many ores that were worked in Ireland up to the '80s.
    Copper, lead and zinc were mined not a stone's throw from my house (maybe even under it :eek:) until 1982.

Not knowing anything about geology, this is a great way for me to become familiar with the mineral rich ores around here.

Thanks for posting the pics.

I grew up near the two mines in the Silvermines Mts in Noth Tipp - One mine was galena and the other barite. A new mine has opened at the other end of the mountains - a place called Lisheen - it too mines for lead and zinc ores. I am not a geologist but just am interested in rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

I grew up near the two mines in the Silvermines Mts in Noth Tipp - One mine was galena and the other barite. A new mine has opened at the other end of the mountains - a place called Lisheen - it too mines for lead and zinc ores. I am not a geologist but just am interested in rocks.

Silvermines had plenty of zinc as well (more than lead, actually). Galmoy is just up the road from Lisheen and also mines zinc/lead, with some silver credits. Navan is the only other operating mine in the republic and is also zinc/lead.

There are a number of really good exploration projects happening at the moment, one in Clare and two in Limerick, although the two in Limerick are essentially the same mineralizing system, but being carried out by separate companies.

Advertisement