Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information greatly appreciated

Options
  • 05-05-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, would appreciate some quick replies if at all possible although I know everyone's busy with study!

I don't want to go into too much detail here, but a friend of mine is in a very bad way at the moment doing exams. She is filling in an extenuating circumstances form at the moment and has both a doctors note and police report as supporting evidence.

Unfortunately she's a final year student, so just doing them again at Christmas isn't that easy with extra fees etc. She's going to do her best now, but she's wondering: can she still go back and repeat them at Christmas if she does them now and they don't go well? And would this mean she wouldn't officially get her degree until the following august when she would graduate? (Rather than in December/January when she would actually repeat the exams).

Really appreciate any insight people may have about this. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/pol_ext_circum.pdf

(specifically page 3)

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/pol_ext_circum_gn.pdf

(specifically page 6)

This documents above explains the process and what outcomes can occur. If she's up to it, she should go to her programmes office/student advisor and get them to go through all the options with her as well.

I hope she's alright and is coping ok, I'm sure the last thing she wants to deal with right now are exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Passed those links on to her. She met with the student adviser for her programme today and she got some information from them, but she's still a bit confused (not surprising considering she's all over the place as it is). Don't suppose there's any way around paying half of next years fees to repeat them at christmas? Probably not :(

I know, I feel so sorry for her. Especially so close to finishing up for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

No worries.

I don't know about the registration fees I'm afraid, but seeing as her degree would be postponed due to extenuating circumstances rather than her just failing or something like that, I would be surprised if she did have to pay. UCD are actually very good when it comes to things like this. But I'm only guessing, I don't know for sure. She (or someone on her behalf) should ask in UCD if no one else who knows here comes along.

What often happens is that the circumstances are taken into account, and they look at her academic history and previous work in that module and give her what they think she deserves. It can vary so can't say for sure that is what will happen, but its a common outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Don't suppose there's any way around paying half of next years fees to repeat them at christmas?

If she is just repeating the exams (not lectures etc) I'm more or less positive she won't have to pay. I was sick for an exam at Christmas and submitted a sick note with extn form and I didn't have to pay to repeat it. Also, I repeated it mid semester so she might have to do it in around October/November rather than December. I'd imagine it will delay her graduation though.
    If her performance has been consistent before now, maybe she will be awarded her average grade?

Maybe you could speak to the people at the program office about it for her. If she's in Arts Paul Beglan is super helpful with any difficulties. Here is a list of the program offices with numbers etc

http://www.ucd.ie/programmeoffices.htm

Advertisement