Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

57756 W2 Mobile.LTD "Cuddly TV" premium rate text messaging service...... Beware!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Rosebowl11 wrote: »
    Have not had any alerts since and I have been credited back 6.60 euros to my 3 account. So dont take no for an answer. I was absolutely furious with this company. How dare they scam people like this and they are getting away with it too. Shame on them and the people who work for them!!!

Good to hear you got your money back.

But what can be done about these scam artists?

1. All operators should ensure that clicking on an ad CANNOT result in your phone number getting sent to the advertiser - how does this happen anyway - where in the phone is your number stored that allows a webpage "retrieve" it?

2. Comreg actually DO something as opposed to talk about what they would like.

Maybe we can start something on boards - a fight back if you will...!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Rosebowl11

Seemingly (now I dont know for sure) but you have to be very very careful with apps cos if you read the small print they can pass on your info to third parties. I dont know how they get your mobile number there is obviously software attached to the link when you click it. Its same as pc if you download free software from the likes of utorrent or bearshare etc. software can be attaced to a file and it automatically runs on your pc. We Irish are far too slow and lazy to do something about these scammers. They are a disgrace!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

caught by this scam too, using the luas app posted on here (through no fault of the developer - I think a lot of apps are ad sponsored)

Rang Comreg - they say they are "trying to make it harder by introducing a pin request feature - so you have to type in a pin to subscribe" to things like this.

But what they won't/can't answer is why they can't just stop the 57756 service, and others like it, when they get a slew of complaints (they were well aware of this company)
    Ok. this is interesting and important.

Can you advise if:
    a) the app you used was on iPhone or Android.
    b) what permissions you have to give to the app.

Also the developer does have some responsibility here. They decide whether the app will be a paid for app or ad supported. Do you have any direct contact with the developer? It would be interesting to know, how the ads are being served into the app.

Advertisement