Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Places To Stay In Waterford City

• 05-05-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for somewhere cheap (but decent) to stay in Waterford for the night of the music fest. What places would you recommend?

Obviously most places around will hike up their prices (I don't blame them to be honest) so is there anywhere that will be affordable but within the city.

A hotel or B+B, either will do.

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Fitzwilton hotel.
    Rice guest house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Woodlands or the Ramada are good quality and would usually be pretty good on prices. They'd be suburban rather than city centre hence the sometimes cheaper price.

Hoping you enjoy the fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Travelodge would be handy if you don't mind being a 10 min walk out of town and a 5 min walk from the RSC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

kensutz wrote: »
    Travelodge would be handy if you don't mind being a 10 min walk out of town and a 5 min walk from the RSC

Aye, that would be ideal and I've just been looking at it.

I see they've got a double room available for €75, any idea if I could just go in tomorrow and book it with cash, or does it have to be done online with card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I've often booked them with just cash anytime I needed a hotel while away with work. No harm in giving them a ring to see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

kensutz wrote: »
    I've often booked them with just cash anytime I needed a hotel while away with work. No harm in giving them a ring to see what they say.

Cheers mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Stayed in the travel lodge for rag week! Twas Grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Nobodys gonna refuse cash.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Waterford is the cheapest place in Ireland for hotel rates. The cheapest rates available are to be found through the official online booking engine of the hotel itself. If you book through an affiliate like hotels.com or ebookers.com, a % commission is added to the price. Likewise, if you call them up, they'll be working off a telephone rate which is often higher than what you find online.

Basically, shop around. I don't think there's any BAD hotels in Waterford, especially for the price you'll be paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

AdMMM wrote: »
    The cheapest rates available are to be found through the official online booking engine of the hotel itself. If you book through an affiliate like hotels.com or ebookers.com, a % commission is added to the price.

have to disagree with this adMMM, not all the time, yes check around, but sometimes the booking sites have better deals than the actual hotel websites, last year i booked the hotel the teams were staying in after the all ireland, and the hotel website was 13euro more than the booking site. at times the differnce is marginal, but hey, its money in my pocket at the end of the day.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I was in birmingham for a stag a few weeks ago and say I booked through the hotel while the rest booked through some other website. Now, they got it for about 7/8 quid cheaper then me but when we arrived I was given a twin room while most of the rest where given a double even though they had booked a twin through the website.

As it happens they raised hell and they got sorted in the end but it took some serious complaining. it's just worth noting. I'd imagine that it was becuase of the differrent types of booking so it's worth keeping in mind.

Personally I always book directly through the hotel but if you can find it cheaper elsewhere it's wortg looking into.

Advertisement