Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards in the UK

Options
  • 05-05-2011 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Do any of you know if there is a UK equivalent boards in the UK, specifically London? If not of the boards.ie kind, something similar?

Thanks,
    Walrus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hi Walrus,

DOn't know if it's what you are after but you might like to try angloinfo.com

They have a UK/London message board I believe, I am more used to the French and other foreign ones!

Regards,

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Hi Walrus,

DOn't know if it's what you are after but you might like to try angloinfo.com

They have a UK/London message board I believe, I am more used to the French and other foreign ones!

Regards,

M.

I'm basically looking for a boards.co.uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

There's no shame in not knowing. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hi IamtheWalrus,

I think you will have difficulty in finding something quite lke boards.ie in the UK because most forums are attached to specific websites, and cover the issues on those websites.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

IIRC There used to be a UK boards (boards.org.uk) at one time but it never really took off, and after the big security breach last year, the powers that be decided to close it down. There was a US version as well (boards.us) and that was even less popular.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Alun wrote: »
    IIRC There used to be a UK boards (boards.org.uk) at one time but it never really took off, and after the big security breach last year, the powers that be decided to close it down. There was a US version as well (boards.us) and that was even less popular.

Yep, the shame was that we were just starting to build up a decently-active community in the London forum on boards.uk when the breach happened :( It set us back a good bit, but we're back on track more or less now with both the boards.ie UK forum and London forum.

That being said, I've had the same struggle with the UK. It doesn't seem that any site in the UK has had the same sort of development history that boards.ie has had, so none of them have that combination of wide userbase and general focus. Instead you end up with shedloads of fora with a specific core topic, each with their own Pub/Misc/After Hours type sections.

It's annoying, but your best bet is to look for one of those. If you're looking to meet other people living in your area, you may be better off checking Gumtree or even Twitter (it sounds silly but I've met several people who've tried one or both options with reasonable success rates).

Advertisement