Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacement bike

• 05-05-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭

Ok, after my crash (described in another thread), I'm needing to choose my new bike and would welcome a few opinions. Bike will be used for some commuting and weekend spins of up to 50km ish, so nothing too serious. Will have around €1,200 coming to me after the crash.

My choices so far are, in no particular order:

1) Replace the crashed Felt Z85 which was only 2 months old with the same bike. Really like the bike and it fits like a glove. Cost c€1,200, maybe less with haggling, and sell the totally undamaged 105 components from the crashed bike and buy nicer wheels.

2) Upgrade to a Felt Z6, basically the same as above but in carbon, and replace the microshift shifters with the 105 shifters from the crashed bike. c€1,500 but would need to get that down a bit to consider it. However I do have a, probably unfounded, fear about the durability of carbon and using carbon to commute on.

3) Go for a PX. Probably the best bang for buck option, SL Pro Carbon with Rival for c€1,250. Again, that fear of carbon and I am a little worried the geometry might be too racy, but I assume with the right set-up that can be alleviated ?

4) Canyon Roadlite or Ultimate Al. Only issue here is buying blind on the internet and getting the sizing right. Is there any significant difference between the two of these, apart from the sloping tube of the Ultimate ? Are they comfortable to ride ?

5) Option 3 but save up and buy a Canyon Roadlite frameset in the summer and put the components from the Felt onto it so I have both an Alu and carbon bike. Additional cost of c€450 ish.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Save and get two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I found a Boardman team carbon for 1249 euro, its a 2010 model and i got a discount for producing an AXA policy number so 1067 euro was the final cost. The bike is lighter than the Treks, Focus and Giants that my mates paid over 1500 euro for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

There is nothing to worry about with carbon, it is very very strong (more so than aluminium) and mature technology at this stage. I would go carbon certainly; for the money the PX is hard to beat. It is quite racy though.

Advertisement