Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a house vacant in winter - Woodwork OK?

Options
  • 05-05-2011 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If i was to leave my house vacant all winter and drain the heating system etc. Would this be bad for wood floors, doors, skirting etc. Would they be in danger or warping with the cold. Or would the be OK for a winter.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The greatest risk in a situation like this, would be fluctuations in relative humidity/temperature which could cause timber to move undesirably or for mould to grow, if there was condensation. Of course, new houses would be less prone to this than old houses.
    There are many factors which could determine the state of an unoccupied house - the age of the house, quality of construction, insulation - not to mention the weather conditions.
    If it was my house, I would be inclined to leave a dehumidifier running. These can be plumbed so that any water they collect, can be fed into a sink or drain etc.. Dehumidifiers don't use a huge amount of electricity but for such a long period you could put it on a timer so it would come on for a time each day.
    Or you could ask someone to call in and maybe let in some fresh air on dry days.

Advertisement