Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QCA

Options
  • 05-05-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

I am not a student in UL but I have a fair idea how the grading system works, well to an extent anyway....

A1 = 4.0
    A2 = 3.6
    B1 = 3.2
    B2 = 3.0
    B3 = 2.8
    C1 = 2.6
    C2 = 2.4
    C3 = 2.0
    D1 = 1.6
    D2 = 1.2

1.1 degree is >= 3.4
    2.1 degree is >= 3.0
    2.2 degree is >= 2.7
    anything less is a pass degree.

Right, so we have that sorted. Now can someone explain to me how or why in UL, a 1.1 is 3.4 (A3 if there was such a thing or around 85%) when other Universities + IT's are anything above 70% (B3 or 2.8). Furthermore, why a 2.1 in UL is 3.0 (75-79%) and everywhere else it is +60% (C2 or 2.4).

Obviously there is a different grading system, yes/no?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

I am not a student in UL but I have a fair idea how the grading system works, well to an extent anyway....

A1 = 4.0
    A2 = 3.6
    B1 = 3.2
    B2 = 3.0
    B3 = 2.8
    C1 = 2.6
    C2 = 2.4
    C3 = 2.0
    D1 = 1.6
    D2 = 1.2

1.1 degree is >= 3.4
    2.1 degree is >= 3.0
    2.2 degree is >= 2.7
    anything less is a pass degree.

Right, so we have that sorted. Now can someone explain to me how or why in UL, a 1.1 is 3.4 (A3 if there was such a thing or around 85%) when other Universities + IT's are anything above 70% (B3 or 2.8). Furthermore, why a 2.1 in UL is 3.0 (75-79%) and everywhere else it is +60% (C2 or 2.4).

Obviously there is a different grading or something, yes/no?

I know in my course this grading scheme is used:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57868525&postcount=2

therefore getting 72% (A2's) in all modules would be equivalent to a QCA of 3.6 (1.1), not 85% as stated above

But maybe the grading scheme varies depending on course

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Oh right, I thought it was a different grading system alright! I was just using the leaving cert system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Oh right, I thought it was a different grading system alright! I was just using the leaving cert system.

LC equivalent to college standards = epic fail!!

All A1/A2's in a BBS/MBS course will get you an 1.1, and an A2 is anything above 70%, an A1 above 75%!

Saying that, the most difficult exams that you will sit in your entire life IMO, are the LC, and not those in college!

I wasn't trying to say the standard was the same :rolleyes:

I was just unsure about the grading system, hence the last comment on the opening post...

In relation to the L.C being the hardest test in your life, you must be joking. Talk about an over-hyped memory test, to each their own though, I certainly know I have done, and still am doing, much harder tests than the L.C, even on a proportionate basis.

So if an A2 is anything above 70% and an A2 works out at 3.6 but a 1.1 is anything above 3.4 or 70% (everywhere else) does that mean that technically in UL, it's less than 70%.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Im in the Maths department in UL and we have another diff grading system, Im also doing my dip for teaching there and for all my modules this year...

The Maths one were A1>90% and education modules were the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Mossin wrote: »
    LC equivalent to college standards = epic fail!!

All A1/A2's in a BBS/MBS course will get you an 1.1, and an A2 is anything above 70%, an A1 above 75%!

Saying that, the most difficult exams that you will sit in your entire life IMO, are the LC, and not those in college!

The Kemmy has revised it's grading scheme this year, for the Master courses anyway, not sure about undergrad. An A1 is now 80% plus, A2 is 75% plus!

Interesting to see such variation. Can anyone shed some light on why they do it? Would it not be more fitting to have one system across the board in UL, never mind Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

caesar wrote: »
    The Kemmy has revised it's grading scheme this year, for the Master courses anyway, not sure about undergrad. An A1 is now 80% plus, A2 is 75% plus!

yeah its the same for undergrads in the kemmy aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Interesting to see such variation. Can anyone shed some light on why they do it?
    Grade fudging. Officially regarded as departments and faculties setting their own standards.
    Would it not be more fitting to have one system across the board in UL
    It probably would. It would at least be externally transparent. Mind you, there are quite a few ways of running grade curves (which by definition precludes a set percentage standard) or officially or unofficially making an exam easier or more difficult so while it may well not happen, if it did it wouldn't guarantee a similar standard in any case.
    , never mind Ireland!
    Unlikely to happen ever. The universities like their own independence and have little to gain from making agreements with one another on what constitutes a particular grade. Also, one or two of them have turned to dropping standards rather than setting them in order to get more honours graduates out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭seanman is me

Whats the breakdown of grades for business statistics can someone say?? our lec told us a d2 was 20% plus?? so what does this mean?? is a c3 30%?

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote: »
    Also, one or two of them have turned to dropping standards rather than setting them in order to get more honours graduates out the door.

I know in the UK there was controversy lately about a lecturer being pressurised to pass students who failed, simply because the college would lose out on the fees if the students didn't progress. The lecturer ended up resigning over it and hasn't found work since because of his whistle-blowing status, he was effectively branded 'untrustworthy'.

Obviously one cannot speak outside of the course or institution they have come from but, I have known people on similar courses and seen exam papers in subjects I have also done (at the same level) and there is considerable deviation on the standard level.

I am unsure what could/would be done about this, considering universities are providers of programmes and awarding bodies in their own right. Personally I see it as being somewhat of a conflict of interest but I must be honest I don't know much about how it is regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

Does anyone know the grading system for the electronic & engineering department??

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

As far as I am aware there is a discretionary band for 1st class honours in some courses. I'm led to believe in education courses (what i'm studying) that you can get a 1.1 so long as your QCA is above 3.2 and you did well on Teaching Practice and/or FYP.

I'm sitting at 3.19 since last semester (FYP will hopefully raise it) so heres hoping haha

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Ginge Young

Dont think thats correct for the education courses... its def 3.4 and over for a 1.1 but if you get a QCA just below 3.4 say 3.35 there'll normally bump you up.

As well as that I know woodwork teachers thats have graduated, and one I know had a QCA of 3.26 but still only got his 2.1!

and this particular student got an A2 on TP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

we recieved an email last year from the course head saying a 3.3 was a 1.1 (law and accounting) so there must be some discretion in the awards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

It varies from department to department, but there is slight discretion.

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    there is slight discretion.

Or put another way, how 'well-in' you are with the lecturers, by the sounds of it.

What exactly defines discretion in this scenario? Discretion to do what they want, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Or put another way, how 'well-in' you are with the lecturers, by the sounds of it.

What exactly defines discretion in this scenario? Discretion to do what they want, perhaps?

No.

Afaik, if you're within 0.1 of a higher up degree you'll be bumped. The same way if you're within a grade ( pass\fail, A/B) and your work shows you make the effort, you'll be given the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

Hi OP,
    Going into 4th year myself in Sept, was also curious re my QCA come end of year. I drew up a spreadsheet to allow you calculate it as per UL's formulae. You do however need to know the credit, factor, ATT Hours and Non Q hours in order to get the QCA result perfect. You can fill in your grades and modules and the spreadsheet will do everything else. I posted instructions in there too. Can't understand why UL don't have a calculator of their own on their site, if anything it would motivate some in my opinion!

**Did the spreadsheet on a mac, fingers crossed it works fine with windows, haven't tested it out on another OS.

Advertisement