Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provisional License Confusion

• 05-05-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I was wondering if someone here could help me, as I would like to avoid walking into the RSA office or motor tax office and making myself look like an idiot.

My bike provisional ran out a couple of months back because I started and finished my car test (i've had the provisional for over 2 years)

Now I want to do my bike test, so i've got the provisional license extended for another 2 years. This is what my license says;

A1 (<= 125cc)
    to: 03-05-2013

A (<= 25kW)
    to: 03-05-2013

Now as you can see, the full bike license was only just started when I extended my license. I'm pretty sure I checked all boxes (A1, A, B and W) when i first applied for my provisional. I have no way of proving that though?

Now I know I don't need to waste my time with the IBT because I got my provisional license since 2009. The site says:
    From 6 December 2010, IBT is a legal requirement. You may not ride a motorcycle on the road unless:
    you obtained a Learner Permit before 6 December 2010 or
    (snipped)
    Souce: http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Initial-basic-training-IBT-for-motorcyclists/

Do I need to do the IBT for my A license because of the "date from" even through my A1 license is before 2010?

Secondly, do I have to wait 6 months before I can proceed with an exam for A?

I have been led to believe I can carry a pavilion passenger with a FULL A1 license. That's all I need IMO, because I have a Honda CBF 125 which does ~100 MPG. However, I would like to do my full A test and be able to get a more powerful bike in the future. Everyone says I will want to.

I'd be grateful to anyone who could help, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was wondering if someone here could help me, as I would like to avoid walking into the RSA office or motor tax office and making myself look like an idiot.

I've called the RSA for a load of things and never once felt like an idiot. They answered all my questions and the one time they said they'd call me back. They called me within 30min, I was thinking days. I found the staff in the tax office not very good.

I don't think you need IBT as you have had a learners permit since before December. Not sure if you need to wait 6 months for A. Call the RSA and they'll tell you exactly what you can and can't do.

Your wasting €85 getting an A1 licence then going for an A.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

Thanks for the advice :) I think I'll call them tomorrow and see what happens.

I've completed the online application for the A license test. It didn't stop me and wanted me to proceed with payment. While that's a good sign, I want to be sure.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for the advice :) I think I'll call them tomorrow and see what happens.

I've completed the online application for the A license test. It didn't stop me and wanted me to proceed with payment. While that's a good sign, I want to be sure.

Thanks

AFAIK you can apply any time for the test. But if you turn up before the 6 months are up, if you have to wait 6 months, they won't take you out and you loose €85.

You can apply to do the test before the 6 months are up and do the test on 6 months + 1 day, if your lucky.

Just been on the phone to them, answered me straight off.

I can do my test right now for the A1 license.

For an A license, I need to do IBT and wait 6 months.

Is there any way I can appeal this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Was the A on your old LP?
    Also,if you dont mind me asking,what age are you?

• Advertisement

I'm 19 and I didn't have A on my first provisional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Theres your answer right there! If you had your permit for 2 years,it put you ar 17 when you originally applied? You have to be 18 or over to get A,so even if you did tick the box,you were'nt given it because of your age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

You will need to do the conversion modules of ibt which is modules 2 & 4 only. This will entitle you to ride a cat A bike on the road as you already had the A1;). You will have to wait 6 months to do the full test.:(

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to proceed with the A1 test for my current 125cc bike, then it works out cheaper to do the A test later in life if I decide to :)

Advertisement