Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How low can you go ?

Options
  • 05-05-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests i am going back to berlin this year for the 4th year in a row. Also aim for the 4th negative split in a row out there. Its flat but the surface is second to none although last year it had plenty of puddles. I was so engrossed i didnt notice it until after the race.

Plan is to run Cork as a long run in and around 3 hours as i need a time to qualify for an overseas marathon. Also paced 3.15 in limerick so plenty of endurance.

Ran a pb in ballycotton(just outside the hour) but i need to shift a stone fairly lively if the dreams are to be realised. Also the dreaded fags are back so i hope this makes me give em up AGAIN.

How low can i go ?? I reckon with a good diet my goal for the year was to pace the 3 hour group in dublin(assuming i am asked) so i would have to run 2.47. If i get the diet right if i pace it right i would be very confident.

Plan is to build up the upper body and do a good bit of cycling. With a recent arrival to the family alot of training will be done at 6am although the fast work will be done in the evening as i cant run fast at that time.

Yesterday 10 miles easy 75 min
    Today 25 min Rower with a few weights thrown in.
    Day 1 of diet went well with no rubbish eaten.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Good man VR. I always enjoy your logs(that sounds ropey). Best of luck dude, be keeping an eye on events here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

As the title suggests i am going back to berlin this year for the 4th year in a row. Also aim for the 4th negative split in a row so i would have to run 2.47.

Make the rest of us like cart-horses again....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Best of luck with the new log - I thought the title suggested 'limbo dancing'!

Whats your current marathon PB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good luck with the goals VR. I look forward to the roller coaster that is your log :D Always interesting.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Macanari,
    Current pb is 2.52 but plenty of scope for improvement.

Sat
    Still smoking away so wasnt up to much training.

Sunday
    Today is last day smoking. Woke up with 4 in the box. Feic the government for getting rid of the 10 boxes. Today was premiership day. It was like the old days with smoking half the cigarette.

Ran 8 miles easy, 20 min on rower and 20 min weights. Heart rate was very high for an easy run.
    Up 10ibs in hte last 3 weeks so its time to take the finger out. Enjoyed every bit of it tbh. I love a bit of downtime after a mararthon.
    Monday
    10 miles easy
    10 min cross trainer
    20 min weights.
    Day 1 of the cigs.
    Next ciggie 11.47 25th september:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Ah the return of VR. The one man whose training log can raise my blood pressure and eyebrows simultaneously :D

I like the title but based on your previous training logs "Sexs, Drugs, Ciggies, Beer, Rock 'n' Roll and Running" would have suited you better. Don't know if you get much sex, drugs or are into rock 'n' roll but you definitely tick the box with the others.

By the way don't forget I have to buy you a large cigar in Berlin if you hit your time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck VR. Looking forward to checking in on your progress to and beyond your goals ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

VR always very intertaining, looking forward to this one. Still doing the late nights?

Abhainn,
    Yes still doing hte late nights. Plan is to leave kk at 2am bank holiday to go and do cork, get to youghal for 4 hours kip and get a lift at 7.30am. would love it off but its busiest night of the year. 3.09 will do me so i reckon i will be grand

Tuesday
    10 mile 73 min and 15 min rowing. Plan was to go back to do some core in the night time.

But I called to a mate and done hte dog on it. The biggest bar of cadburys was waiting for me. The 240g one. In the freezer so it lasted 20min. Two bags of crisps and 2 peanut chocco bars from liddyl. Proceeded to bring the mrs a large bag of chips home that she didnt really want. So i ate most of them. Couple of slices of bread. Then i watched the final of the biggest loser that i had taped. Should have watched it live at 8pm and would have saved myself 2500 cals. roadrunner that ok ??

Needless to say i didnt get up this am.
    Tonight 7.5 miles easy with 20 min weights. no rubbish today. Yesterday i had enough for hte fortnight.

Off the cigs again for the *th time.
    Re the food i am a binger of the highest order.
    Need a good few weeks training to get back in half decent shape. 240g of cadburys choccie wont help achieve this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Do you hate yourself ;)

• Advertisement

If i do a log i am honest 100 per cent so i wont bullshi** anyone. Great what a night of not eatng shi** can do. Up running 14 miles at 6.10am following by 25 min weights etc.
    Why do i eat so much shi*e ??
    Went to a place that i got my metabolism done. More or less told that my metabolism is really slow. In other words i will always struggle with weight. Have done all my life so whats new. Also found out i am a fat burner hence why i am decent at marathons as i dont burn sugar compared to others. In other words it was a bad place to go. Now i had an excuse to be a fat fcuk. With the quantity i do gorge on maybe i can in fact get to a decent weight.
    done the shopping tonight and i didnt buy the usual stuff. Normally i woulod buy the 6 pack of flapjacks one for each day but i usually have them gone in 48 hours.
    Plan to give Berlin a right go. I have a number in my head but i wont dare put it up. Get the diet right and i could run anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Also the dreaded fags are back so i hope this makes me give em up AGAIN

http://www.elusionelectroniccigarette.com/

I'm not sure if these are in Ireland or not but my housemate in Oz was telling me all about these things today. Could be an option maybe? All the nicotine you can dream of without it hampering your running. Much cheaper than regular smokes aswell.

10 miiles at 7.30 pace tat felt hard. Yesterdays run was in the legs. I havent done a session in 3-4 weeks so will do one nxt week. Want to put 2 x 80 miles back to back to get rid of a few ibs. Thats what it has been the last couple of years. If i run 80 i can eat what i want. I now dont believe i can. If i eat well and do that training my recovery will be so much better.
    Hope to put in a 20 at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

10 miiles at 7.30 pace tat felt hard. Yesterdays run was in the legs. I havent done a session in 3-4 weeks so will do one nxt week. Want to put 2 x 80 miles back to back to get rid of a few ibs. Thats what it has been the last couple of years. If i run 80 i can eat what i want. I now dont believe i can. If i eat well and do that training my recovery will be so much better.
    Hope to put in a 20 at the weekend.

Do your easy runs on an empty stomach VR, that way you'll burn fat. Works horrorshow like.

sat an easy 9 mile down in the local park. Got over a hard night without the dreaded fags and stayed away from the finger food. Another test passed.

Sunday This was supposed to be an easy 18-20 but it turned out to be hard. Long week and late nite took its toll. For marathon training it has to be long runs on sat as they will include fast miles. If i was able to go to work after pacing limerick i can go to work after a hard 22. 18 miles at 7.30 pace.
    Worked sunday nite and i ad a few fags(fcuk em) also alot of rubbish that started that day with abit of tart and cheesecake(sugar lover)

Monday
    Day off as i was wrecked with late night and up early again. Family life eh. When i am wrecked i crave sugar so monday carried on from sunday. Few more cigs today so wednesday is the nxt stop day.
    Smoking kills my running and i know that. While smokig iwould be lucky to run 65 for 10 miles.

Tuesday
    No rubbish today as cork is looming and i need to lose 7ibs to make 3.09 an easier marathon. Finished the last of the box of cigs 1o min ago so am ready with the patch in hte morning.
    Today 10 miles in 70 min which was 5 easy and 5 harder. Could really feel the chest running at a higher pace than i have ran for a good few weeks.

Hope to do a session friday. wont be pretty but it will be a kick in the gooleys i need. Lose 7ibs and off te fags will have be sorted. Talking about it is one thing. Hence why i started the log.

Advertisement