Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1800 euro -42 square meter concrete driveway??

• 05-05-2011 10:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been quoted 1800 euro to have my old concrete driveway dug up,ro ro skip hire,new 803 hardcore base installed and then reconcreted.

The driveway size is 42 square meters.

Does that sould like a good or bad price?

I know the builder well,and he is decent.

So whats the price like????

Also the builder said that the driveway couldnt be laid all in 1 large pour,due to the size of the driveway and its angles,and it would be layed is sections or squares.

Does that sound right??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

All sounds good to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

He also gave me a price of 1200 euro "labour only" for digging up the driveway and fittting 42 square meters of paving/cobble bricks.

That doesnt include materials.I would be shopping around for the best price and style of paving.

He told me that the concrete option is the cheapest option,as paving/cobble bricks would work out very very expensive to cover 42 square meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zathan

Assuming that the job will take 2 days

Day 1: Break out old driveway and dispose of it - account for a mini digger & breaker and a 2 men (one operating digger). Say €120 for the digger & breaker for the day and €80 per day for the men so €160. Assuming he goes for a grab truck (more economical and eliminates need for dumper) the cost of removing old driveway will be about €220. Assuming they are fast workers, they should nearly be able to get the 804 in and screeds up also on day one, allow €120 for 804 and timber screeds and a further €40 for a wacker plate. Day 1 comes to €(120+160+220+120+40) = €660

Day 2: Concrete to driveway - 42 sq metres at a depth of say 125mm works out at 5.25 cubic metres and taking a rough estimate of €75 per cubic metre for concrete, the price of concrete works out at around €400. Again two men @ €80 each works out at €160. Factor in concrete finishing tools Bull float trowel will be around €40 per day. Day 2 comes to €(400+160+40) = €600

Day 1 + Day 2 = €1260. Job may take 3 days so that would add a further €160 to the cost bringing it to €1420. I also haven't factored in rebar - don't know if you plan on using it?

So in total my rough estimate (assuming 2 days) is €1260. When you factor in the builders overheads etc €1800 may not be too excessive but I'd bargain with him regardless - try get down to €1600, after all he will most likely be the one driving the digger or the extra labourer so some of his money for the day is accounted for and he may own outright some of the equipment that I have accounted for too!

Hope that is of some help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

zathan wrote: »
    Assuming that the job will take 2 days

Day 1: Break out old driveway and dispose of it - account for a mini digger & breaker and a 2 men (one operating digger). Say €120 for the digger & breaker for the day and €80 per day for the men so €160. Assuming he goes for a grab truck (more economical and eliminates need for dumper) the cost of removing old driveway will be about €220. Assuming they are fast workers, they should nearly be able to get the 804 in and screeds up also on day one, allow €120 for 804 and timber screeds and a further €40 for a wacker plate. Day 1 comes to €(120+160+220+120+40) = €660

That might be ok figures for a cash job but where did you get the figure of €80 per man per day?? You might get a non skilled skobie for it, but not someone who has experience of laying concrete!!! What about PRSI, Employers PRSI, PAYE, Insurance, Diesel for the machines used??
    And don't forget that the guy is trying to run a business. He has to make a profit - otherwise he will go out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I agree with Rellig you wont get experienced concrete layer to work for 80 Euro a day. Taken everything into account the price of 1800 is not to bad although 1600 is better. If he is doing it in sections just make sure he uses proper expansion boards so as it wont buckle up after he's long gone and your left with a problem. My own honest opinion for aesthetics you cannot beat well laid Asphalt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

sky6 wrote: »
    you cannot beat well laid Asphalt.

Definitely... Much superior job all round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Any update on the driveway paddy147?

What price did it end up coming in at? What finish did you go for? I'm considering doing this for my own front garden which is about the same size as yours but only has pedestrian access.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 frankmckenna

this is a good price only if over 100mm deph of concrete is used and all drains are done for this price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

This job would take three days ........ even if you had ten men working on it. Different levels/slopes, expansion joints. Manhole to be built up, maybe other drains catered for. Hession sacking/polystyrene coverings have to be removed. Likewise the timbers. If weather is hot then a sprinkling the following day. Rebar would be the right way to go. I'd say closer to €2000 more likely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Its all sorted now,ended up getting a bigger area done (53 square meters),and got it done in 60mm thick dark and light coloured Kilsaran paving bricks.Got new boundary walls built too.

Thanks for the help.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement