Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've got on board with tinned fish - gimme some ideas! :)

Options
  • 05-05-2011 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

I've always avoided tinned fish because I considered it inferior to fresh. But this week, I decided to give tinned salmon a try because it's such an easy lunch option.

I made fishcakes this week which I really enjoyed.

Can people suggest any other lunch and dinner recipes I could try with the salmon? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

As a storecupboard option, I make a pasta and salmon pie by mixing cooked pasta, white sauce and salmon then topping it with breadcrumbs, grated cheese and melted butter. The dish is then browned under the grill or in the oven. The amounts I use depend on the number I'm cooking for and whether I want leftovers for next day's lunch.
    I've also varied the mixture by adding broccolli or peas and you can spice up the white sauce with some curry powder or whatever takes your fancy. You can also add a layer of sliced tomatoes under the grated cheese/breadcrumb mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,458 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I know some very famous chefs who swear that a salad nicoise is far superior with tinned tuna, rather than fresh. But that's a different kettle of fish......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Baby spinich leaves, onion, walnut, tinned salmon and lemon and olive oil yum. And lots of black pepper.

Tuna with chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, cumin and lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tin of tuna, mix the juice of one lemon with an equal quantity of olive oil, fry some garlic and chilli, cook spaghetti or linguine. Mix the pasta with flakes of tuna, the oil dressing and the garlic & chilli. Add chopped parsley and seasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

duploelabs wrote: »
    I know some very famous chefs who swear that a salad nicoise is far superior with tinned tuna, rather than fresh. But that's a different kettle of fish......
    True but very dependant on the quality of the Tinned tuna.
    Skipjack tuna like we get here won't cut it, it has to be the best quality Albacore, something like the Ortiz brand stuff.
    I made my own bottled Albacore tuna the last few years and its the best stuff ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,458 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

yeah the otiz stuff is the bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I still have a soft spot for mashed sardines in tomato sauce - add a bit of vinegar and some black pepper, and it brings back the Saturday teas of my youth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭MiniSquish

I often mash some tinned mackerel up with some mayonnaise and have it on toast. It's really nice and would make a quick lunch.

Advertisement