Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Operation Neptune Spear - were delta involved as well

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

This post fills me with joy.

Glad I could bring some joy to your life!
    They most certainly aren't. They'd tell you that themselves.

Don't have a clue what you're going on about here! Who are you talking about, the Green Berets (?) are not?? If so BS!
    Anyway, only 5th Group were in A'Stan at the start of the
    invasion

Doh, yes they would be as the 5th's operating area IS the Middle East and there were SEAL Team 6 guys in Afghanistan at that time also!

BTW, can you tell me the difference between SF, Delta and CAG???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    Glad I could bring some joy to your life!

Don't have a clue what you're going on about here! Who are you talking about, the Green Berets (?) are not?? If so BS!

Doh, yes they would be as the 5th's operating area IS the Middle East and there were SEAL Team 6 guys in Afghanistan at that time also!

BTW, can you tell me the difference between SF, Delta and CAG???

USSF aren't a Tier One Unit or an SMU, nor is it part of JSOC. It's a fact. Members of USSF will tell you the exact same.

SF are US Special Forces, also known as Green Berets or the Quiet Professionals. They fall under the command of USSOCOM.

Delta and CAG are the same Unit, officially designated as 1st SFOD-D. They fall under the command of JSOC.

Now, any other questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Utrinque Paratus

Delta and CAG are the same thing, just different names Combat applications grp/Delta, SEAL Tm 6/DEVGRU are all tr 1 operators.

Tr1 refers to the fact they are deployed as first assets.(Tr1/2 is also used as a term by other NATO nations)

Support units are classed as TR2, Rangers, SOF signallers, SOF intel units etc.(In the UK signallers and Intel units are t2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Poccington wrote: »
    USSF aren't a Tier One Unit or an SMU, nor is it part of JSOC. It's a fact. Members of USSF will tell you the exact same.

As source of plenty of consternation and bemusement, mostly because of uneven asset allocation. That's a whole other discussion :P

For what it's worth there are SF teams doing the DA mission in Iraq and Afghanistan, partnered with the Afghans. That is in addition to all the other missions they do in theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Utrinque Paratus

Tier One

Tier One are "black" elements, which are national-level assets that comprise the highest level on the United States Special Operations Command spectrum and National Command Authority. The chain of command for these units bypasses traditional military bureaucracy, and they will be deployed directly by the President, Joint Chiefs, and/or Defense Secretary. These units are the most selective, with acceptance rates of 10 to 15 percent and include the US Army's secretive Delta Force and the US Navy's counterpart DEVGRU.[1] The Army's Intelligence Support Activity, and the US Air Force's 24th Special Tactics Squadron are Tier One intelligence and support elements.[2] These are the black side of the Special Operations community, and fall under the Joint Special Operations Command's Special Mission Unit classification.
    URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special_Operations_Forces_Tier_System&action=edit&section=2"]edit[/URL Tier Two

Some examples include the Army Special Forces ("Green Berets"), 75th Ranger Regiment, and United States Navy SEALs."[3][4] These units also engage in highly dangerous and specialized missions; however, these are usually "gray operations" which are within military protocol and are not denied by the chain of command.

Now, any other questions?

WOW, THAT'S some high horse you're on there buddy:rolleyes:
    You come in here, speaking of people posting crap

Didn't have time to post everything I wanted to last night but as a Mod, you don't count the following as crap???:
    Originally Posted by swordofislam
    The seals are the best of the best. They are America's paladins. Delta force are effeminate cowards. In Pensacola in 2007 1 Navy seal singlehandedly destroyed a rogue delta force squadron that was importing meth and cocaine from Mexico.
    They weren't using toy Delta force grenades. They were there to kill Bin Laden. I am sure that Delta Force could have done it but President Obama needed to be sure that Bin Laden wouldn't survive.
    The SEALs are not the rescue fairies!!! LOL at Delta force! The SEALs are killers. You don't even hear about the badass **** they do!! Delta are totally gay!!

And of course, your own quote:)
    At best, it was merely a case of DEVGRU having boots in the AO when it was time for planning. At worst, the decision by McRaven was down to personal allegiance and politics after the Norgrove carry on. Cause in the opinion of a lot of SOF lads I've been involved in discussions with, if it came down purely to capabilities it wouldn't have been DEVGRU on those birds.

Source?? Or was it the SOF lads you've been involved in discussions with?? As a matter of interest, how do these SOF guys know so much about DEVGRU capabilities??? Are they former SEALS or just hearsay??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

WOW, THAT'S some high horse you're on there buddy:rolleyes:

Didn't have time to post everything I wanted to last night but as a Mod, you don't count the following as crap???:

And of course, your own quote:)

Source?? Or was it the SOF lads you've been involved in discussions with?? As a matter of interest, how do these SOF guys know so much about DEVGRU capabilities??? Are they former SEALS or just hearsay??

No more crap than coming on here and claiming USSF are a Tier One unit.

As for my quote, people in a position of much more knowledge than me agree that it's something that certainly may not be ruled out but most likely didn't happen. It was more than likely a case of DEVGRU being the boots on the gorund closest to the AO.

As for the people I've been involved in discussions with, they range from different Units across USSOCOM, including the Navy. They've all been actively involved in the War on Terror and their experiences put them in a far better place to make judgement than you or I.

No more crap than coming on here and claiming USSF are a Tier One unit.

Well maybe I should have elaborated and said SF/CAG/Delta/The Unit as I thought I wouldn't have to EXACTLY specify who I speaking about as MOST people refer to the above as SF. SO, lets be clear, are you saying that CAG/Delta are NOT a T1 unit or is it just SF that are not T1??

Your quote: the decision by McRaven was down to personal allegiance and politics after the Norgrove carry on. sounds very definate and yet NOW you seem to be saying:
    it's something that certainly may not be ruled out but most likely didn't happen.
    Hmm, not sounding quite so definate!
    They've all been actively involved in the War on Terror and their experiences put them in a far better place to make judgement than you or I.

Firstly, you are making certain assumptions about me without knowing ANYTHING about me:rolleyes: It's one thing if they are military/naval guys and know stuff about the War on Terror but even at that what would make them such experts about DEVGRU or Delta for that matter???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

t what would make them such experts about DEVGRU or Delta for that matter???
    One word Pensacola!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

One word Pensacola!

Do you have any credible references for a navy seal taking out a rogue delta force unit in 'pensacola' 2007 or... in fact... anything you've said?

Advertisement