Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White House Photographer

• 05-05-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Seen this photo today of people in the White House during the bin Laden raid, think it may be one of the best photos I've ever seen. A real moment :D

White-House-Watches-Osama-1304439661.jpg

Got me interested in the chief White House photographer Pete Souza in any case, and came across this one hour documentary about him. Fascinating work, well worth the watch (the Morgan Freeman narration is also a plus) :D

You can watch it on the PBS website (:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

thats great to watch, thanks for the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Telchak wrote: »
    Seen this photo today of people in the White House during the bin Laden raid, think it may be one of the best photos I've ever seen. (:

You mean, Photoshoped / staged? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Haha, look at Clinton's expression. I bet they're all watching Fox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Heated thread about this in Conspiracy Theories ;)
    Bit boring though (not the photo, the conspiracy discussion).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Yeah basically it amounts to the photo being a fake because it was staged after the event and not actually a live photo as they originally claimed it was. There was a blackout for the period of time that the raid was ongoing and this photo is taken of them watching a recording of the events. The photograph is good propaganda because it gives the viewer the feeling that they are witnessing a piece of history unfolding. Link:
    http://www.infowars.com/staged-white-house-situation-room-photos-part-of-bin-laden-fable/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 lizlemon

This was really interesting!
    Thanks for the link :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Zillah wrote: »
    Haha, look at Clinton's expression. I bet they're all watching Fox.
    no, my sources tell me it was 'two girls, one cup'.

edit: if you don't get the reference, PLEASE do not google it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

They were watching 'The Pet Goat'.

...and Clinton was flicking through a skin mag, hence the 'shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

no, my sources tell me it was 'two girls, one cup'.

edit: if you don't get the reference, PLEASE do not google it.

:D
    Worried that only Hilliary is shocked by it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Telchak

Clinton has also said that she's not even sure why she had her hand over her mouth, that it mighty have been allergies. Maybe she could be trying not to appear like 'woman' in the room, if you get what I mean :p

I think calling it 'staged' is pushing it, even if they were not watching live. Either way, it is still a fantastic image of some of the most powerful people in the world watching something horrible and being very human. They're real. I think Obama being slightly out of focus and barely noticeable makes the image almost as much as Clinton's expression does :)

The documentary is great as well, very interesting to see the relationship between the most powerful man in the world and somebody who is effectively his shadow. Just by being a photographer, this man is probably hears more classified information than most heads of state. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think calling it 'staged' is pushing it, even if they were not watching live.
    the question is what they were doing at the time the photo was taken. if they were in the middle of other business, it was simple misrepresentation. if they are posed, it is staged to look like they were in the middle of business of some description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The live feed went down so maybe they are just watching a rerun. I've watched videos of people being killed that were filmed years ago and it's shocked me. It doesn't have to be live to be shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

Seen this photo today of people in the White House during the bin Laden raid, think it may be one of the best photos I've ever seen. A real moment :D

Got me interested in the chief White House photographer Pete Souza in any case, and came across this one hour documentary about him. Fascinating work, well worth the watch (the Morgan Freeman narration is also a plus) :D

And the guy on the laptop in blue uniform is creating a thread in the Military section on Boards.ie to update posters.... lol :D

Enjoyed the link btw, thanks & interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Deffo staged with hired actors! Guy in the blue shirt, standing in front of the presidential seal is John Lithgow, better known as Dick Solomon from 3rd Rock From The Sun

:D

the question is what they were doing at the time the photo was taken. if they were in the middle of other business, it was simple misrepresentation. if they are posed, it is staged to look like they were in the middle of business of some description.

Looking at their expressions, their eyes, it looks like they're watching something that is far from nice. There haven't been many moments in the Obama administration that warrant a scene like this.

Then again, maybe I'm subconsciously making more out of their expressions than is really there because of the description the White House has given of it. Hilary's shock/allergies is an example I suppose. My first though was "Look at that expression! The horror in her eyes." ...I then read that she said it might have been allergies :D

Ignoring the question of it's authenticity, the photo does a great job of what it's supposed to. With only the caption, and knowing the events of the past few days, it made me stop and think "f*ck that's good" and got the emotional response it intends. As a work of photography, I therefore think it's a masterpiece. Maybe not as technically brilliant as, for example, Steve McCurry's Afghan Girl, but evokes a similar reaction. It could be the defining image of the Obama presidency :)

i don't see any shock in hillary's eyes. i think people are judging based on her body language, and there's not necessarily shock in that either.

Indeed, as I said, it could possibly just be power of suggestion that makes me look at it and see something that you don't.

Also possible that it just demonstrates the subjective nature of a photograph :)

Out of focus head on the bottom left, too much space on the top left, everyone cramped on the right hand side of the frame, no real point of interest, lots of people cut off at the wrist.

Photographer needs to apply himself and must try harder.

I can only speak for myself, of course, but I certainly wouldn't hire him to cover any of my live executions based on this image.

On a serious note, is the photographer the same photographer that's always there, or does each president hire their own? (ie; the guy that took the above photo isn't the same guy that took photos for Bush, etc.?)

Haven't had a chance to look at any documentaries or write-ups on him or such.

I don't think anybody would argue that it's a great technical execution, the moment captured is what makes it striking.

Most president's have a new one, a good few are interviewed in that really good documentary :D I know I'm getting repetitive telling people to watch it, but I think will greatly effect your opinion of the photographer :o ...the photographer was also intended to be the main point of the thread, as opposed to this photo :L

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

Telchak,
    Great documentary. Thanks for the link. Really enjoyed watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Likewise - nice documentary. Really like the guy's photography - and the way he steadies his lens with his forefinger - I'll be trying that out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Crap posed staged ****, Obama seems to be into this type of rubbish more and more.

Just watched the documentary. It's a pity it's not a bit more technical. Would love to hear his opinions on different lenses, favourite shooting mode, his tried-and-tested formula for well exposed and focused shots etc (he doesn't look to be doing much fidgetting with the camera, so I'm assuming he either shoots in a semi-auto mode, or he has a tried and tested configuration in manual mode that never lets him down).

When images are shown full screen, EXIF data would have been great. It's a good documentary, but it would be better if it were aimed more technically at photographers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Great documentary, really interesting. Thanks for posting, Telchak. :)

@KKV, I agree, I'd love to know more about the technical side of his work, but I'm not sure that documentary would be the place for it. I don't think it's aimed particularly at photographers, more a general audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Would love to hear his opinions on different lenses, favourite shooting mode, his tried-and-tested formula for well exposed and focused shots etc (he doesn't look to be doing much fidgetting with the camera, so I'm assuming he either shoots in a semi-auto mode, or he has a tried and tested configuration in manual mode that never lets him down).

Main setup looks like 5D(possibly mk2) and a 24-70L, and 580ex2 - all viewable from the first minute.

I only watched 2 minutes (attempting to study here) but, also viewable is a backup camera (looks more in the semi-pro 40/50d range), a 50 f/1.4 and something resembling a 10-22 range lens (@1.03)

If I was to take a guess at his general settings - aperture priority mode, between f4 - 5.6 mostly, and ISO between 100-800. After that, focus on the president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

If I was to take a guess at his general settings - aperture priority mode, between f4 - 5.6 mostly, and ISO between 100-800. After that, focus on the president.

Don't be silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Fine, shutter priority mode then :pac:

I love the way the men are the ones who decide what they should do to women in order to show them respect.
    Isn't the last bit of that artice inaccurate? Hasn't it already been established that they weren't watching in real time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Fine, shutter priority mode then :pac:

...or manual!

Nah, he doesn't use manual. I read an interview with him before where he said it was pointless. He mainly shoots aperture or shutter priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Haven't finished watching this yet, but it might give people more insight into Souza's work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Main setup looks like 5D(possibly mk2) and a 24-70L, and 580ex2 - all viewable from the first minute.

I only watched 2 minutes (attempting to study here) but, also viewable is a backup camera (looks more in the semi-pro 40/50d range), a 50 f/1.4 and something resembling a 10-22 range lens (@1.03)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse

The EXIF is there for all of them. Mostly around f/3.5 with a higher ISO (he uses a 5D ii). He has some lovely images on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

If you look at the pixelated photo in front of Clinton and have seen the "other guys" I think you will find that this is not infact "The Moment", I reckon the pic in front of her is one of these...........

GRAPHIC PICS WARNING!
    http://www.reuters.com/subjects/bin-laden-compound

I say STAGED!

EDIT:

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, along with with members of the national security team, receive an update on the mission against Osama bin Laden in the Situation Room of the White House, May 1, 2011. Please note: a classified document seen in this photograph has been obscured. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/5680724572/meta/in/photostream/

uprising2 wrote: »
    I think you will find that this is not infact "The Moment"

We've been through all this :rolleyes: There's a thread about the photo in the conspiracy theory thread if that's more to your liking, this was supposed to be about the photographer :p

• Advertisement

uprising2 wrote: »
    I reckon the pic in front of her is one of these...........
    I ran my enhance plugin for photoshop on the pixelated section then fed that into my depixelator and it came up with just a menu for a chinese take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

theboat wrote: »

Haven't finished watching this yet, but it might give people more insight into Souza's work.

Was interested to see Pete Souza himself taking photographs with President Obama in Ireland today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Zxc wrote: »
    Was interested to see Pete Souza himself taking photographs with President Obama in Ireland today.

Wearing his green tie! Fair play to him :) Watch for the pics of when the President spoke on the phone belonging to the girl in the crowd in College Green. Pete was right next to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

I was surprised to hear several others in the crowd point out Pete as the WH photographer today...can't wait to see his images.

First one from the White House flickr page :D

5752656612_6d01dc00dd_z.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement