Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground tunnels in Waterford City ?

• 05-05-2011 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I heard theres underground tunnels in waterford and was wondering anyone know anythin about them ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 waterford1

Id say you heard about the crofts underneath the motor tax office, these will be open to the public soon as part of the new viking triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

waterford1 wrote: »
    Id say you heard about the crofts underneath the motor tax office, these will be open to the public soon as part of the new viking triangle.

Really? That be interesting to be under Waterford City, any idea when it opens?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Best username OP!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

yeah , i heard they were there too. and there are 5 inhabitants there. Leonardo, Donatello, Michaelangelo, and Raphael are 4 brothers that are livin down there a long time, along with their guardian , Splinter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

STIG83 wrote: »
    Best username OP!! :D
    Surprised nobody came up with it already :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

waterford1 wrote: »

These were open all last summer. There was a spread in The Munster on them too. Most people that came in heard through word of mouth however, they are still largely unknown.

In before, "There's a tunnel going from Reginald's tower to Ferrybank church. My granddad was down there with the dog and the dog got eaten alive by rats."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Sounds interesting. Anyone know how long they are?

When I worked in Whitehall in London our building was an access point to the miles of tunnels under London though we were not allowed near them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Dan133269 wrote: »
    These were open all last summer. There was a spread in The Munster on them too. Most people that came in heard through word of mouth however, they are still largely unknown.

In before, "There's a tunnel going from Reginald's tower to Ferrybank church. My granddad was down there with the dog and the dog got eaten alive by rats."
    But but but bobs brother heard from Melanie that Peters father's dog once sniffed the ground on the quay and there was nothing on the ground so it must be a tunnel. Boi!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Dan133269 wrote: »

Rats the size of greyhounds ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

deisemum wrote: »

When I worked in Whitehall in London our building was an access point to the miles of tunnels under London though we were not allowed near them.

I was there. You just need to buy a ticket for the Underground from a vending machine or use an oyster card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah I remember hearing about these during the announcement of the Viking Triangle and renovation of Bishop's Palace etc. Are they part of the renovations? Because they don't seem to be open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

i can remember seen a tunnel just outside the door of the Olde Rouge years ago heading up Michael street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah I remember hearing about these during the announcement of the Viking Triangle and renovation of Bishop's Palace etc. Are they part of the renovations? Because they don't seem to be open.

Yes they are part of the renovations. They were already restored last summer, and will be restored more completely for the museum going above it, with access through the museum itself.

I think they may be open soon enough when the Granary walking tours start back. Best bet to find out for definite is to ring the Granary. The OPW also have access to the undercrofts, if you really wanted to see them, you could go into Reginald's tower and ask. They may be able to do something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

There are two parts of the undercofts, each from very different medieval periods. They were always open on a per request basis with the OPW staff of Reginalds up to the renovations. So it was a free tour but so unknown. Their well worth a visit.

You may be able to get their background on archaeology.ie's monument database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

robp wrote: »
    There are two parts of the undercofts, each from very different medieval periods. They were always open on a per request basis with the OPW staff of Reginalds up to the renovations. So it was a free tour but so unknown. Their well worth a visit.

You may be able to get their background on archaeology.ie's monument database.

so theres the undercrofts underneath bishops palace and then theres another set? are they connected? last year they had a wooden walkway along the undercrofts this year they have a load of granite slabs outside ready to be placed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I asked about this a while back, as I was in them years ago when the first dug them up. Looks like they completely overhauled them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Would they be big? sounds deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

ziedth wrote: »
    Would they be big? sounds deadly.

Aye they were big enough now from what I remember - but it was pitch black almost when I went down. Scared the shíte out of me.

Advertisement