Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

public health nurse and stroke victim

Options
  • 05-05-2011 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Question for friend who not a member here

Does anyone know the powers of a public health nurse in relation to an elderly person. The person will not acccept any help and the nurse says nothing they can do as the person is compes mentis. Person had a stroke but recovered and takes warfarin

However, the nurse only goes to the door and does not see the state of the house which is bad. Does the nurse have the power/obligation to go into the house and see it needs cleaning etc. The nurse has offered home help and it was refused. But my friend questions how compes mentis a person is if they live in a filthy house and with no apparent interest in hygiene

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I would say this is a legal question but I imagine that if a doctor comes to visit and says that the person is compus mentis then there's nothing more that can be done. A person is entitled to keep the inside of their home or their personal hygiene whatever way they want as per the constitution.

Unless the house was so dirty that it was attracting vermin to the immediate area or something like that.

Advertisement