Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I NEED HELP HL IRISH OR OL IRISH HELP IM IN 5TH year !!!

• 05-05-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hello
    I am in 5th year and I am considering dropping down to pass Irish as I dont thnk I will need it in the future and I personally believe it is a waste of time. I need help any opinions or suggestions will be much appreciated, and one more thing what universities require higher level irish. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I think you should keep it up for the rest of the present school year, that way you have time to weigh up your options and think about it over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

Yes,stick with it until the summer at least,that's what I did.
    See how you do in your end of year exams and make an informed decision with those results.

I can't think of any colleges that require HL Irish for entry,I doubt there are any.
    The NUI colleges only require a D3 in OL for entry to their courses.
    The only exception to this would be courses with Irish in them ( e.g Business and Irish) , though I doubt you'd be interested in them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Thanks for the help. Its just I have a real c**t of a teacher who picks on me for some reason. she/he gives us alot of work which is good but it takes alot of time to do, and there is that voice in the back of my head saying "you will never need this". Where as if it was maths or science I would have no problem doing them.Like I have 6 other HL subjects its just I dont want to find out im limiting my options massively (teaching or anything including irish I dont mind) Thanks for the help though... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

she/he gives us alot of work which is good but it takes alot of time to do

:rolleyes:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

I walked out of my Irish class in 6th year, never done any study for the exam scraped a D3 for the exam at O level. I'm convinced it was the oral that pushed me over the 40% mark. I'm with the op here it's a useless subject and it's my opinion that it has no place as a requirement for 3rd level admission. The only reason that this subject is required at 3rd level can only be for romantic and/or nationalist reasons. Irish has gone the way of Latin and should be phased out of schools and thought as an elective only, let the individual student choose if they want to waste there time or not. If I were in charge the only subjects that would be mandatory would Maths, Physics, Chem, and biology the student would then pick 3 to 4 electives for years 1 through to year 3 and classes would run based on demand. The same would apply to the senior cycle.

Government can't be the deciders on education it to important. The whole concept of a national government is flawed, because local area and local people may have different wants, needs and desirous than that of the national wants and needs. If we had a federalized government (the more expensive option) then local areas would be better served by that government and the people would have a lot more choice in the decision making process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement