Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brisbane for 6 months

Options
  • 05-05-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've a year off as part of my course in college so I'm hoping to go to brisbane for 6 months. Just wanted to ask if anybody had experience with getting work there and if it was difficult. Im in my 2nd year of a marketing degree so I'd be looking for any work along those lines as the work must relate to my degree.

Any replies are appreciated,

S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I doubt you'd get paid marketing work. It would also be a waste of a WHV coming for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

ballooba wrote: »
    I doubt you'd get paid marketing work. It would also be a waste of a WHV coming for 6 months.

Why do you doubt I'd get paid marketing work, do they not pay wages over there for workconfused.gif
    marketing covers all areas, sales, promotions, pr work, event managament, research etc

I only want to go for 6 months to test the water, my plan would be to go Canada for year after I finish my degree.

There are thousands of international students in Brisbane looking for work. Most decent work experience requires min 4 weeks unpaid work and are very difficult to come by. You will be competing with this cheap labour for work. I personally don't think your prospects are good, sorry to pour cold water on your idea.

You're talking about using a visa that allows you remain for two years (contingent on regional work for 3 months) for 6 months. You don't know what the future will hold and you might be very glad of that two year opportunity in five to ten years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

Thanks for the response. I can see where you are coming from. I would go over and do any kind of job but it must relate to my degree, thats where my problem lies. I'll probably try and get something here first before I try anything. my sister is out there and has no problem getting work but thats because she is a nurse. Her boyfriend on the other hand is trying to pick up bits and pieces of work where he can, he's got a business degree of some sort.

A friend with a few years marketing experience has been job hunting in Brisbane since yesterday. If she has any amazing luck in the next few days I will let you know. I know a lot of unemployed people in Brisbane at the moment though unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

manlad wrote: »
    Why do you doubt I'd get paid marketing work, do they not pay wages over there for work.

A friend of mine from England was a Marketing MANAGER and when she came over here on her WHV she couldn't get any work like that and had to accept a much lower paid job than she was used to back home. The 6 month rule really puts companies off hiring people on WHV's.

Advertisement