Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Sport to Open New Mountain Bike Trails in Dublin Mountains- 8th May

Options
  • 19-04-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

The official opening event for the new mountain bike trails is on the 8th of May. Its going to be a Dublin Biking Blitz with a choice of 1 lap (8km), 2 laps (16km) or 3 laps (24km) starting at 12, plus races for U8 to U16 in the morning.

Bouncing Castle
    DJ playing music all day
    Catering
    Picnic Benches
    Toilets
    Free Bike check up
    Massive Podium
    Prize giveaways
    Sunshine and fun!

This is a milestone event for mountain biking in Ireland.

The official tape cutting ceremony will mark the start of the event. So let’s show how popular biking is and turn out in numbers!

You must pre enter as space is limited.

http://www.biking.ie/dublin-blitz
    Follow the event of facebook

Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Niall Davis

Entries are flying in for the Dublin Blitz, this could be the mounain bike event of the year. One of only two races xc races in Dublin this year.

For those of you who were at the first three rounds we're giving away this fancy new Trek 4300

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/4_series/4300discz/

NICE!!

Special edition number plates for the Dublin Blitz, pretty cool souvenirs i reckon.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=212369172116195&set=a.154166701269776.32658.139066222779824&type=1&theater

The Minister for Sport Leo Varadkar will officially open the new mountain bike trails on Dublin's Three Rock Mountain (Ticknock Woods) this Sunday 8th of May. The trails have been designed and built by Coillte to help cater for the rapidly growing number of bikers taking to the hills.

The Dublin Biking Blitz is the official opening event with senior events kicking off at 12 noon as the ribbon is cut.

Follow the event on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

thats great news for the sport, i really hope the rest of the country (specifically the south west) starts getting similar treatment, this country really has such potential for mtb'ing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Thanks for the heads-up. Ballinastoe it is so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Niall u deserve a big pat on the back for putting the blitz series together. It has got a lot of people into racing who normally wudn't know where to start and hopefully it gets more people into MTBing in general. A lot of the clubs in ireland seem to have supported the events well and have shown just how friendly the sport is.
    You are a credit to the sport. Sunday will be brilliant.

Giving away the Trek 4300 bike worth €750 on facebook now!!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bikingie/139066222779824?v=wall&ref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Fair Play to Niall and all involved with this. It's amazing what a bit of positive publicity and a photo in the paper can do.
    I met 2 adults taking 6 kids down the ticknock trail last night who had never known about ANY mountain biking trails on 3 rock until it made the news.
    The more the merrier and then maybe we get more and merrier trails and trailheads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Excuse my ignorance, but what is different on this trail then just heading off yourself through the woods?
    Does it cost anything for a run? Do you just go ahead whenever or is their a queue system?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is different on this trail then just heading off yourself through the woods?
    Does it cost anything for a run? Do you just go ahead whenever or is their a queue system?

Nothing..apart from the tracks being laid out in a loop, marked, and specifically for bikes..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Leroy42 wrote: »

Costs nothing, the Coillte built trails are nearly all hard-packed surface with rocks, in a loop with very little climbing on the single track itself. Up the fire road for 50 or 100m climb and off onto single track generally descending gradually.

Heading off into the woods doesn't guarantee you can cycle all terrain you meet, doesn't bring you back where you started and pretty cut's up the terrain anyway. For instance the climbs up to the fairy fort at the very top of 3 rock used to be quite small tracks, they are as wide as a road now and getting wider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Glad it was a success I saw the photo on the front page of the Irish Times.

I don't get that horse riders have to pay permits and MTB's don't. Is it just at organised events that peeps show proof of insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Is it just at organised events that peeps show proof of insurance?

yes. Otherwise, the facility is free to use for everyone.

Advertisement