Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHS to AVI files.

Options
  • 06-05-2011 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

Was looking around and most of the capture cards with bundled software seem to only give the option of either burning direct to DVD or creating a monstrously large MPEG file to then mess around with. I'll be looking to convert a few hundred hours of tapes so obviously it would be preferable to get something that will directly (or simultaneously) encode the captured videos into avi/ mpeg 4/ Xvid or whatever moniker it's going by these days. Anyone know of a decent (hopefully cheap :pac: ) piece of kit that'll allow me to do this?

Thanks in advance.

(Also I think this is the right forum for this post, feel free to move it if not.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

amacachi wrote: »
    Was looking around and most of the capture cards with bundled software seem to only give the option of either burning direct to DVD or creating a monstrously large MPEG file to then mess around with. I'll be looking to convert a few hundred hours of tapes so obviously it would be preferable to get something that will directly (or simultaneously) encode the captured videos into avi/ mpeg 4/ Xvid or whatever moniker it's going by these days. Anyone know of a decent (hopefully cheap :pac: ) piece of kit that'll allow me to do this?

Thanks in advance.

(Also I think this is the right forum for this post, feel free to move it if not.)

Depends on your definition of cheap!:) Remember, a one-hour AVI file takes up around 20GB of disk space. This one from Pinnacle is $99. Can capture analogue and DV footage. I have the older model and have captured some analogue footage on it. Works a treat!

Advertisement