Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardaí (& Council/Utility Companies) checking manhole covers in Dublin

• 06-05-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Around town the past couple of days, I've seen members of the Gardaí checking a whole heap of manhole covers. This is obviously in preparation for the visit of Obama and the Queen.

As they're checked, yellow paint is sprayed on them persumably so they aren't re-checked and time is wasted.

I'm just wondering though, (and I'm not really expecting a solid answer here!) what is the point in just marking them? Seems like a complete waste of time if whoever might be interested putting something down there can see what's been marked as safe. I'd hope they'll also be welded shut too.

Cheers,
    Kev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zathan

If you look closer at the marked ones, you will see that they are also welded! The marking is presumably a secondary seal of sorts to allow the Gardai see if the any of the manholes have been tampered with - similar to the way you may sign the sealed part of an envelope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Oh ok, wasn't going to creep over and look over their shoulder! :)

The paint is just regular paint though, doesn't appear to be like an envelope seal - so probably just a mark so they easily know whats been done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I actually had a look at one of them today. The yellow paint goes on to the ground as well, so if they are tampered with, it will be pretty obvious as the mark on the lid wont match up with the one on the ground, i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 doggerybaw

any half witted competent person would just replace the covers again in the same position and they are only sealed with silicon from what I can see, hardly tamper proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

doggerybaw wrote: »
    any half witted competent person would just replace the covers again in the same position and they are only sealed with silicon from what I can see, hardly tamper proof.

Use a little logic.......We'll say manholes are now secure on streets A to G.......Garda on Patrol sees whoever either lifting a manhole or sealing one again.......whoever gets lifted........think its fair to say its pretty fool proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

A nice "24" style approach would be to use the CCTV cameras to watch them and sound and alarm if someone moves the cover. Maybe they already do it!

Good to know they're doing a thorough job anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

A nice "24" style approach would be to use the CCTV cameras to watch them and sound and alarm if someone moves the cover. Maybe they already do it!

Good to know they're doing a thorough job anyway!

I'm sure Bauer has relocated numerous sattelites and predator drones to Dublin and Moneygall by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I saw a few guards in a van on Portobello bridge lunchtime today doing manholes. very efficiently done might I add

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

doggerybaw wrote: »

Thank you for joining Boards.ie just to share that nugget with us all.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

I was just delighted that while AGS were doing this around TCD/Grafton Street, any taxis trying to park at their made up rank were swiftly moved along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

If you think they are looking for explosives, then you're wrong from the get go. kthnxbai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tornado778

i recently welded over 500 manholes in Moneygall Prior to the Obama visit,,,
    firstly ,,,they are checked for explosives,or anything else untoward ,,,i.e,,somebody down there with a sniper rifle,
    secondly..once welded,,the are only sprayed as a mark to show it has been welded,and to repeat another posters point in saying it is not a waste of time, because by the time i was finished (after four days),,there were 2,500 uniformed Gardai , hundreds of soldiers , and its any mans guess how many undercover,, believe me,,a mouse wouldnt get into that town on the latter days towards the visit,,,let alone somebody with an angle grinder opening up sealed manhole covers :P....

oh btw,,,,the plastic manholes,,,gullys etc are sealed with silicone,,,,,again,,,tamper away with that amount of security around,,,ya wont get far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

The yellow and red paint marks on the ironmongery around Stephens Green and Baggot St is horrible - looks like some bad graffiti artists have been let loose on the city. How long will this paint take to wear off, or will they be removing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

The yellow and red paint marks on the ironmongery around Stephens Green and Baggot St is horrible - looks like some bad graffiti artists have been let loose on the city. How long will this paint take to wear off, or will they be removing it?
    As far as I'm aware its biodegradable and will wash off in time, it would make sense as it would take more man hours and money to go cleaning up every mark.

Advertisement