Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC shutting down by itself!

• 06-05-2011 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Hey guys my pc is shutting down by itself the last few days.

I built it myself a few years back and its been fine up to now. At 1st I thought it was the ram but tried with one stick each and it was still happening.

Reformatted didn't help. Updated the bios and it went awhile for awhile. Its back again tonight.

Im using core temp now for CPU temps. Q6600, temps are between 30 - 36 degrees. So thats ok.

Is there a program I can use to stress test the whole lot and find some sort of error? Also for motherboard temps?

Thanks guys.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Is windows shutting itself down or is the pc just turning off out of nowhere?

If the latter then its quite possible your Power Supply is on its way out, this happened me a while back where every now and again it would just turn off out of nowhere... it was intermittent for a while but became quite constant... since i replaced the PSU I have had no issues.

Not sure on monitoring software to be honest. You can get a PSU tester online:

http://shop.ebay.ie/sis.html?_nkw=Failure+Diagnostic+Computer+ATX+PSU+Power+Supply+Tester

I didnt bother as I became certain it was the issue and just replaced it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'd say PSU too.

Whats in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

What motherboard is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

dazftw wrote: »
    Im using core temp now for CPU temps. Q6600, temps are between 30 - 36 degrees. So thats ok.

GPU temperatures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

The spec's are as follows:

Striker II Formula
    4GB Corsair XMS2
    8800GTX
    Q6600 with the thermalright ultra 120 extreme cooler
    Creative fatal1ty sound card

The PSU I think is the thermaltake 850 watt one. I had the 700 which I sold because I was getting another 8800 at the time. I'm pretty sure its the 850watt one.

The GPU temp's are running in the 70's

Actually now that I think about it.. the pc doesn't actually shut down. The screen turns off and the light goes orange. The lights all stay on, on the computer itself. Sometimes it has a continuous beep.

Its happened twice so far today.

• Advertisement

Check the fan on your gpu.

That and if you do have 2 8800's in SLi then maybe remove one a see if it crashes and swop if it does.

Its certainly not PSU now that you say its the monitor turning off.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Check the fan on your gpu.

The fan is spinning I checked that.
    fionny wrote: »
    That and if you do have 2 8800's in SLi then maybe remove one a see if it crashes and swop if it does.

Its certainly not PSU now that you say its the monitor turning off.

Only have one GTX now.. Its kinda hairy sometimes the screen goes mental and I have to fiddle with the cable.

Take it out and re-seat it in the PCI-E slot, also check the power cable is properly pushed in.

Update your nvidia drivers to the latest version also... there was one version a while back that could "kill" your card maybe you still have it.

Also found this old thread HERE which actually indicates a lack of power once more.

• Advertisement

Im pretty sure I have the latest one that isn't a beta one anyway. 270.61.

Ill try reseating it now.

Yeah ill check my voltages as well after I reseat the GPU.

Right lads id said id update this..

Bought a new PSU an OCZ 700 watt one. I installed it and she booted up fine. 10 mins in same problem so I reset the computer and it went away for about two days and now its back. Took it out and put back in the 850 watt and shes working but the problem is still happening.

I'm going to try an older graphics card later tonight and see if that makes a difference. Also going to run it on my TV instead of my pc monitor and see if that changes anything.

If anyone has any suggestions id love to hear them. This is driving me up the wall..

Have you checked for any blown capacitors on the motherboard?

The fact that it's random would lead me to say it's overheating or quite possibly the cpu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,328 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If it were CPU it would happen faster in PRime95. Memtest for the memory, etc etc.

If its, you know, random, it could very well be the motherboard. Capacitors have a lifespan.

Well lads im pretty sure its the video card! Got a friends old 7600GT and zero problems as of yet. It locked up once while installing drivers but the monitor hasn't went off.

Ill try with this for a few days and see what the story is. Think it's time to build a new computer :p

Hi no need to make a new thread as this basically falls under the same category as my problem.

Basically my laptop just crashes and shuts itself down now.

I'd be lucky to get it on for more then a minute or two, and when it has ran, Firefox has continually crashed within a few seconds(on a few occasions).

I've been googling this all evening and I'm getting nowhere, I'm getting two different BSOD(blue screen of death) headings...

First it was BAD_POOL_HEADER and then Memory_Management(switches between them) both of which appear to be very different errors.

Most fixes point to downloading updates and such but it doesn't stay on long enough to do open anything.
    I can't access the net from safe mode to try update anything listed in the fixes.

Safe mode seems to work fine, although on one occasion it did crash from it.

I wiped the whole thing earlier reverting to factory setting but once it set itself up it was back to crashing

Try run :

http://www.memtest86.com/

It sounds like it might be faulty RAM...

I can't access the internet from safe mode though, and it crashes straight away in normal mode.

I have a USB but that site lists needing Linux as the only way you can do a USB transfer(I'm not tech' suave but that's what it appears to say? ''USB key image (Only installable from Linux)'')

EDIT: If it's the RAM does that mean I'll have to pay to get it fixed?.

What are the chances of this being something I can fix through software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

If its the ram, it will cost you the price of the ram to fix, and you can install it yourself (take the cover off, pull out the old ram, put in the new ram, put the cover back on)

What are the chances of this being something I can fix through software?

Slim if you did a full restore and issue was still there then id be 95% sure its Hardware related.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Galway11

I suggest to check processor itself overheating... Ram, u can try it taking one out or taking it out completly.
    (underneath the laptop black cover with 1 screw)
    Also Check status of Graphic Card, try to run it on Ex monitor.

Let us know whats the story ...

Advertisement