Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OnLive - it actually works!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Just tried it there, first it told my connection wasn't great, where are the servers? There's nothing wrong with my connection, I can play on UK and German servers fine.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1284583353.png

Tried Metro 2033, it looks absolutely terrible, I thought they said it would be pc quality? That people wouldn't need a pc or console in their homes. Would have Bill Gates himself quivering in his boots. Its like playing a PS2 game on a 10 year old TV.
    Then theres the lag, playing with keyboard and mouse it felt like a second of two from mouse click to bullet leaving the weapon.
    Then there's the pricing, WTF?

Tbh, a six meg connection with a ping of 50ms to a server in the same small country is pretty bad and for the purpose of onlive unsuitable. Especially considering the closest datacentre is in DC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Tbh, a six meg connection with a ping of 50ms to a server in the same small country is pretty bad and for the purpose of onlive unsuitable. Especially considering the closest datacentre is in DC.

Aye, I get about 15ms myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Considering their server is in DC, why are they offering this to Europeans to say its terrible. :confused:
    I thought they had a UK (or at least European) server

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

Wossack wrote: »
    well tickle me very impressed :o

to clarify, Im on 20mb upc

played metro, and darksiders - as I was considering purchasing them. found it fantastic for the instant on 'demo' - though yes, a little laggy at times

also enjoyed the 'brag video's or whatever they're called - some very funny just cause 2 ones :P

and found it fascinating watching other people play games

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

i just played the demo for assassins creed brotherhood and it was flawless i really want the micro console but dont know if that would work is it the pc verson works the console will work

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've just been testing it on various connection speeds on the same hardware.

30mb - flawless
    15mb - flawless
    5mb - almost flawless, slight lag in some areas
    3mb - jerky gameplay, a bit of lag on control input, otherwise playable
    2mb + 1mb - unplayable, constant stuttering and no games playable

Interestingly enough I tested and recorded with Fraps. The FPS display changed with accordance to connection speed. Metro was about 50fps on high speed connections, 3mb and down ran between 15-30fps, varied.

DiRT2 ran at 50-60 on 30mb, 40-50 on 15 and 5mb about 35fps on 3mb and about 8-10fps on 1/2mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Considering their server is in DC, why are they offering this to Europeans to say its terrible. :confused:
    I thought they had a UK (or at least European) server

I looked and apparently they have one in Wales and the Netherlands and possibly Germany and Romania. Which is interesting.

Still 50ms to a connection on the same peering network in the same small country is crap. I get 10-12ms in Dublin to boards, 15-20ms to servers in Galway and 30-40ms to servers in London. This would be on a variety of connections in Dublin that are not eircom or eircom resellers. From my old days as a avid online gamer I know that anything above 60ms can produce noticeable lag. And with a two way system that online uses you can effectively double your latency as commands have to be sent and video received.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I think I'll sign up for their 50 game unlimited play monthly offer. First month is free apparently and then it is $9.99 so about €7 per month. Some decent games like Just Cause 2, FEAR 2, Tomb Raider Underworld and Legend that I haven't played. So for basically 7 euros I can play them for two months and then decide if I want to add another month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

wow, impressive. I have a high spec pc so I probably wouldnt use it as graphics seem to be set to medium but definitely useful for those on lower spec machines/laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

Just tried it there.
    Assasins creed looks horrible, but might just have been that it was old.
    It was only blurry while "network error" was on my screen, jumpy and jittery too while that was there.
    It went away after I went to the menu thing then back into the game and looked like it was installed.
    Not bad, but I still want to physically own my games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I've just been testing it on various connection speeds on the same hardware.

30mb - flawless
    15mb - flawless
    5mb - almost flawless, slight lag in some areas
    3mb - jerky gameplay, a bit of lag on control input, otherwise playable
    2mb + 1mb - unplayable, constant stuttering and no games playable

Interestingly enough I tested and recorded with Fraps. The FPS display changed with accordance to connection speed. Metro was about 50fps on high speed connections, 3mb and down ran between 15-30fps, varied.

DiRT2 ran at 50-60 on 30mb, 40-50 on 15 and 5mb about 35fps on 3mb and about 8-10fps on 1/2mb.

Wired or wireless?

All wired tests. Will be trying it out on the wife's laptop later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

MacBook on a 7Mb wireless connection.
    AC:B was pretty good, got used to the latency after a few mins playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Well **** me, im impressed!
    Like so many others I was skeptical, but this is very good. Obviously the odd latency issue here and there and graphics dont look fantastic but it is a great piece of tech.

edit:

Ouch... 20mins of mucking about cost me 400mb of bandwith

Anyone know how much bandwith OnLive would use? It seems really cool but I wouldn't want it guzzling up my download cap.

About 1.5gb an hour, 800mb an hour if on standard definition (you can tell by the quality)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That was damned impressive, I have to admit. Video quality's a bit fuzzy at times, especially when a lot was happening (The AVP demo was not good with fine detail, particularly with the predator's thermal vision), and as others have said there's a bit of lag (although I was too lazy to hook up a non-wireless connection) but it seems to work, and work pretty damn well at that. It'll be very interesting to see where this goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I think I've now found the site to kill the odd bit of time in work :D:D

On my Mac of course....

Wouldn't have it at home (GTX570 etc) - though maybe to try out demo's without having to d/l and install lots of crap.

Mighty impressive all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

About 1.5gb an hour, 800mb an hour if on standard definition (you can tell by the quality)

Holy ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I was reading that onlive have partnered up with a number of isp's including BT for UK distribution. Would I be right in assuming that these isp's provide a specific package including no download cap?

I shudder at the thought of Eircom being nominated as the provider of the service to Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 longtimer85

I'm trying to enter my credit card details but it's only giving me the option to enter a U.S. are Canadian address. Can't enter an Irish one. Has anybody else had this problem? or am I just doing something stupid?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

If Valve create a streaming service like this for Steam they could take over the entire PC gaming industry. To be honest I wouldn't be be too sad to see that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

ríomhaire wrote: »
    If Valve create a streaming service like this for Steam they could take over the entire PC gaming industry. To be honest I wouldn't be be too sad to see that happen.

The beauty of steam is that you own your games.
    If steam used cloud for rentals, that would be perfect imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is free to purchase on OnLive today. Just enter the promo code found on their forums here:
    http://onlivefans.com/showthread.php?7749-New-OnLive-Game-Today-OnLiveFans.com-Members-get-a-Full-PlayPass

(Ensure that the light from a thousand suns is pouring through your window before you start playing, or you'll be buying yourself some new pants)

maki wrote: »
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is free to purchase on OnLive today. Just enter the promo code found on their forums here:
    http://onlivefans.com/showthread.php?7749-New-OnLive-Game-Today-OnLiveFans.com-Members-get-a-Full-PlayPass

(Ensure that the light from a thousand suns is pouring through your window before you start playing, or you'll be buying yourself some new pants)

Where is the code??:confused:

**edit

lol I'm dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Ok,, dont get me wrong but why would some one watch some one play GTA ? on their ipad while they could be on their PS 3 playing it them selfs :rolleyes:

Good spot. Do you have to already have a subscription to get it though?

Seems to say that here:

Here’s a link that will take you directly to the game via an instant demo (or will take you to a sign up page if you don’t have the app installed): http://play.onlive.com/launch/trial/...e-dark-descent. Once the demo timer runs out, just upgrade to a Full PlayPass and enter the promo code to continue playing for FREE!

Seems to say that here:

Yeah looks like it. And it only accepts US or Canada for your billing information.

However, I filled in my details, by putting in my full address and choosing US / Alabama and putting in dub11 for the zip lol

I won't be signing up for a 'full play pass' though

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Yeah looks like it. And it only accepts US or Canada for your billing information.

However, I filled in my details, by putting in my full address and choosing US / Alabama and putting in dub11 for the zip lol

I won't be signing up for a 'full play pass' though

To clarify: buying a game (or using a promo code in this case) gets you a "Full Playpass" for that game. There are no other costs involved. I didn't have to enter any billing info at all and I'm playing away.

• Advertisement

maki wrote: »
    To clarify: buying a game (or using a promo code in this case) gets you a "Full Playpass" for that game. There are no other costs involved. I didn't have to enter any billing info at all and I'm playing away.

How did you enter the promo code? (I can't even figure out how to buy it - do I need to use the application, or can I do it online?)

I cant load up the application in work :(

Advertisement