Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OnLive - it actually works!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

How did you enter the promo code? (I can't even figure out how to buy it - do I need to use the application, or can I do it online?)

I cant load up the application in work :(

I think you need to enter it within the application. The code's valid until 5am tomorrow, so there's no rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

maki wrote: »
    (Ensure that the light from a thousand suns is pouring through your window before you start playing, or you'll be buying yourself some new pants)

Play it in the dark, ya pussy :p

Amazing game, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

30mb - flawless
    15mb - flawless
    5mb - almost flawless, slight lag in some areas
    3mb - jerky gameplay, a bit of lag on control input, otherwise playable
    2mb + 1mb - unplayable, constant stuttering and no games playable
    This would suck if you couldn't control these settings yourself, to make it smoother. Also, the amount of your cap it'd suck down would make it unplayable unless you had a package with a very good cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Memorial Weekend Sale at the moment. Games include:

Batman: Arkham Asylum $14.99
    Splinter Cell: Conviction $5.99
    Darksiders $9.99
    Braid $2.50
    Borderlands $9.99
    Just Cause 2 $7.50
    Mafia 2 $14.99

I'm not sure what the situation is though regarding buying games over here? I might pick up Just Cause 2 as the demo seemed fun. I'm in work though so I can't check until later.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In essence, dont touch this service unless you have an unlimited package(Note: UPC 20/30Mb Unlimited is not unlimited!) but they are very expensive but generally on great speeds (~100Mb).

Really not feasible until we get cheaper internet here. Eircom customers have 10-30GB Limits on NGB, never going to be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I don't think you'd need an unlimited cap unless your really using it heavily. It seems to use about 1.5gb an hour on the top setting so for about 20 hours of moderate gaming a month it would be 30gb.

Obviously not for eircom customers or anyone with a very low cap. But I'm on Vodafone and my cap is 150gb and I believe UPC's fair usage is about 250gb so that would be absolutely fine once you didn't go mental and were gaming intensively all the time.

With work and other commitments don't even have time to use my PS3 for more than 20-25 hours a month so it's grand for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

There's a memorial day sale on for it in the US but it applies to anyone who uses it really. 75% off games like Just Cause 2 and Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising, around 10$ each which is just about €7. Not bad at all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Just tried teh new Red Faction game on it there now. It's a bit laggy on my 10MB Virgin Media connection and there is a lot of compression but I was suitable impressed.

It's certainly a great way to demo a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

*bump!*
    Ok so I just signed up and installed the client and played 30 mins of Batman: AA and it ran pretty great except for the low resolution, is there any way to change that? I'm on a 8Mb line so how does it determine what graphics settings to stream to you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BopNiblets wrote: »
    *bump!*
    Ok so I just signed up and installed the client and played 30 mins of Batman: AA and it ran pretty great except for the low resolution, is there any way to change that? I'm on a 8Mb line so how does it determine what graphics settings to stream to you?

It adjusts the quality itself according to the quality of your line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Onlive will launch in the UK on the 22nd of September i got a chance to play around with it at Gamescom and it works really well. Article up here if you want a read.

Big pluses are renting a game for 3 days, no downloads and midnight launches !

You can sign up now at www.onlive.co.uk and have a look around. Im pretty impressed so far.

http://www.bone-idle.ie/index.php/gamescom-our-hands-on-with-onlive/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Onlive will launch in the UK on the 22nd of September i got a chance to play around with it at Gamescom and it works really well. Article up here if you want a read.
    my main concern was lag but after playing a few games of split second I could not notice any difference between playing this on Onlive’s system and a normal console or PC.

Did you ask where it was running from, most of us won't be playing right next to a server at a games convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Varik wrote: »
    Did you ask where it was running from, most of us won't be playing right next to a server at a games convention.

The datacentre is in the west of wales

The datacentre is in the west of wales

That will be the case when it goes public but at Gamescom it may have been on site and hence giving excellent ping times.

Varik wrote: »

Yip i was playing on the american servers, EU server will be in Luxembourg. they reckon as long as they are within 1000km of the server it will work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Any word on ISP packages for OnLive?
    Or do the UK have unlimited bandwidth without a "fair usage" policy?

nothing for ireland yet BT in the UK are an investor thats why its being heavily linked with them but you can be with anyone.

Ive heard a rumour that its about a gb a hours play so its something to look into alright.

Ive heard a rumour that its about a gb a hours play so its something to look into alright.

They can talk about whatever magic compression they used but at best it will be close to the more common HD bit rates around.

Netflix said a while ago that their HD is 4800 Kbps, which is 600 kilobytes per second, or 2.06GB per hour.

Considering streaming video is all Netflix do and lowering this figures would save them a lot, i'd think 1-2GB variable would be a good bet for onlive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I'm currently connected to a mostly consistent 100mbps connection in Sweden but I noticed that the picture quality was still considerably lower than the 720p I'd expected. I demoed both AssCreed Brotherhood and The Witcher yesterday and the only time it looked HD was during cutscenes.

It's still a pretty cool way to try out games. Much better than the full game trial thing they have going on on PSN. The interface is bloody stupid though. And I cant' understand the point in the 'playback' bundle they have. Ancient games like Deus Ex play worse through onlive than they would on most PCs or laptops. And they have some absurd game called Super Granny 5 as well.

It won't be my first choice system but i will use it to test demo's and view clips. Plus since my laptop has never been good enough to run games been able to play something like Batman was a huge plus as you don't need a super computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Onlive has launched in the UK and you can get your first game for £1.

http://www.onlive.co.uk/go/one-pound?ol_campgn_internal=featuredgames

Can't check if it works in Ireland at the moment so someone else tell me!

edit: think you might need a U.K. IP address :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

ShaneU wrote: »

Working fine here, cheers for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

ShaneU wrote: »

You need a UK IP to register a credit card on the website.
    (I used Your Freedom, google it it's free and uses SSL and also is trustworthy)
    After that though, you're away.
    I got Deus Ex

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

When's it launching here. (Dublin)
    I have a Mac so I might get to play some games now.

Think ill pick up Tropico 4 for a pound good game for the pc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

anyone compared the performance to what it was like before the UK servers popped up?

I tried it for a while but the muddy textures put me off, I'm wondering if the bandwidth was letting it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Mindkiller wrote: »
    I'm currently connected to a mostly consistent 100mbps connection in Sweden but I noticed that the picture quality was still considerably lower than the 720p I'd expected. I demoed both AssCreed Brotherhood and The Witcher yesterday and the only time it looked HD was during cutscenes.

It's still a pretty cool way to try out games. Much better than the full game trial thing they have going on on PSN. The interface is bloody stupid though. And I cant' understand the point in the 'playback' bundle they have. Ancient games like Deus Ex play worse through onlive than they would on most PCs or laptops. And they have some absurd game called Super Granny 5 as well.

I noticed that too, the cutscenes in mafia 2 looked higher res than in game. Its a fantastic service, but to be honest mafia 2 looked like the console version rather than the PC version. No AA, low resolution, kinda muddy, but still, im playing it on an old crappy PC and thats pretty impressive in itself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A surprising and welcome bit of news, Onlive have announced that some games will have mod support

Link here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

onlive are giving out free consoles to visitors of the eurogamer convention if they register at the show.

-Saying that it was a 30 minute queue and having tried it a few months back and hating it I didnt feel pushed to wait.

Though I was tempted just to see if I could get the controller to work with my pc/360 and have an extra free controller.

Back on sunday if its still on offer and the queue isnt huge might sign up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

quarryman wrote: »
    anyone compared the performance to what it was like before the UK servers popped up?

I tried it for a while but the muddy textures put me off, I'm wondering if the bandwidth was letting it down.

It looked a good bit better than when I tried a few months back, but I was on 20mbit then and now on 100mbit

Advertisement