Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vtos and maintenance grant

Options
  • 06-05-2011 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I'm sure these questions have been asked a million times before but I'm very very confused:confused:

Could somebody tell me what the craic is with VTOS and maintenance grants? Not entitled to it? Was told by a VTOS co-ordinator that I'm entitled to a grant and VTOS once I'm not getting rent allowance but it seems thats not right:confused:

Could somebody clarify this for me please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I'm sure these questions have been asked a million times before but I'm very very confused:confused:

Could somebody tell me what the craic is with VTOS and maintenance grants? Not entitled to it? Was told by a VTOS co-ordinator that I'm entitled to a grant and VTOS once I'm not getting rent allowance but it seems thats not right:confused:

Could somebody clarify this for me please!

If you are in receipt of VTOS you are automatically excluded from the maintenance grant. Same applies to BTEA applicants. This was brought in in the second last budget.
    If you are doing a PLC course you still need to apply for the grant so some or all of your registration fees will be covered.

The only exclusions to this are people on OPFP or Disability. They can retain these payments and get the grant.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Thanks a mil Paperclip:)

I get One parent payment so would this qualify me?

DO NOT come off OPFP. :)

Tell DSP that you want to retain this payment and that you don't want to move onto BTEA in case your grant eligibility would be affected. As long as you have the required qualifying period built up and fulfill all the other criteria for BTEA you can keep your OPFP and get the grant.
    Some DSP staff are grand and will tell you what to do to give you the best outcome but some will try to get you to change over. Best of luck with it.

Thanks again!!

So you reckon I'm better off staying on OPFP and applying for a grant? Does rent allowance affect this either? I have applied for RAS on the house I'm in now so hopefully wont take too long. Thanks again paperclip I'm getting some answers at last!!

Thanks again!!

So you reckon I'm better off staying on OPFP and applying for a grant? Does rent allowance affect this either? I have applied for RAS on the house I'm in now so hopefully wont take too long. Thanks again paperclip I'm getting some answers at last!!

You're welcome. :)

Afaik Rent allowance is administered by the HSE. To my knowledge you cant apply for Rent Allowance after you start on a course so getting that sorted before you start is a good idea. Once you have it it is classed as a secondary benefit. It can be affected by any additional income you receive so if you get the grant in addition to the OPFP while studying then your rent allowance may be reduced. You can double check with the Citizens Information Service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Thanks again!!

I'm on DA and getting RA, rent allowance, heading to college as a mature student in Sept. If I go onto BTEA I won't get a grant, same as anyone else. If you are on DA (or OPFP afaik) and get a RA then you will not get a grant. They'll stop it. RA is worth more than a grant to the vast, vast majority. But if you are on RAS, not RA, then from what I can see you can keep you OPFP and get a grant. They've made the system a bit more confusing.

marti8 wrote: »
    I'm on DA and getting RA, rent allowance, heading to college as a mature student in Sept. If I go onto BTEA I won't get a grant, same as anyone else. If you are on DA (or OPFP afaik) and get a RA then you will not get a grant. They'll stop it. RA is worth more than a grant to the vast, vast majority. But if you are on RAS, not RA, then from what I can see you can keep you OPFP and get a grant. They've made the system a bit more confusing.

Hi

yep you are spot on you cant get a grant while getting RA. I went through all the forms only to be told I can't get a grant because I did a course 9 years ago which is at the same level as the one I the one I'm starting in September! Ah well I can apply next year and I've got VTOS anyway which is great. It is really confusing especially with all the changes in the last budget.

Advertisement