Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with money for Oz

Options
  • 06-05-2011 8:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hey, I'm going to Australiafor three months at the end of May, everyone I'm going with is staying the year but I've got to come back for college.

I'm just wondering what I should do with my money? Should I just leave it all in a bank over here and use the pass machines (I assume theres a steep charge on that)
    Also should I get a Australian Sim card for my phone when I'm out there..

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

elcy86 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm going to Australiafor three months at the end of May, everyone I'm going with is staying the year but I've got to come back for college.

I'm just wondering what I should do with my money? Should I just leave it all in a bank over here and use the pass machines (I assume theres a steep charge on that)
    Also should I get a Australian Sim card for my phone when I'm out there..

Thank you :)

I personally would open a bank acc and transfer money - or you can get a travel cash card and keep topping it up. not sure what brands are in ireland - but prob a lot cheaper than bank withdrawls

yes get a sim here they are $2 and have cheap texts to ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

I was on holiday in Oz last year, Was using my laser card and just using the bank machines, Every machine charges 2-3 dollars every time you use it, so I would say to try open an account or something,

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Previous time there i opened an a/c with Westpac and transferred the money from my BOI a/c over,just took a few phone calls and signatures and i found Westpac very helpful,but we had it prearranged here as much as possible too with the information and the likes.

Took a few days to clear but happy days then.

Thing that bugged me with Aus banks they charge you if you don't use their own ATM's: mad:,i used to drive the distance just to get to my own banks machine,silly really but i felt better :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I am with westpac in 2 years i dont think i have paid over 10 bucks in other atm fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Zambia wrote: »
    I am with westpac in 2 years i dont think i have paid over 10 bucks in other atm fees.

I blamed the missus,depending on where you live & frequent i suppose,my local one was a 15 min drive to the next district.

Rather it in my pocket than theirs.

• Advertisement

The old eftpos is good as well there is very little I use cash for to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

It used to be the case, I'm not sure what the story is now but if you kept your credit card in the positive there was no charge for withdrawing money from an atm overseas. So if your Credit Card has a limit of 1000euro and you put 1000euro on top of that you have access to 2000euro, the first 1000euro of which you can withdraw from atm at no cost (well as i said that used to be the case!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zambia wrote: »
    I make an effort to hit ANZ atm, some half the time on a night out, i just use the atm in the pub or what ever is nearest, I've paid way more than $10, at least $100, afraid to cout it up tbh

Pub and servo ATM's are evil

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've found that pubs and 7-11 type have the standard ATM company machine that charge $1.50 or $2 ($2 most of the time) but a lot of servos have a bank specific one.
    When I first landed in Oz part of the reason I chose ANZ was that the nearest ATM to the flat we were moving to was an ANZ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 elcy86

Thanx for all the replys.. I went down too USIT the other day to see what they would say and the woman looked at me like I was asking the stupidiest question and just said 'eh leave it in your bank here'.
    Been looking up banks in Oz but I think you have to be staying longer to open an account :( My mother said to use my bank account here and also bring my credit card for like larger expences, such as the bus tours and accomodation. Hopefully that works out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

You can set up an ANZ account online ,you will receive your account details via email and just need to go to a ANZ branch to activate your account upon getting to Australia . spoke with the Uk office and found them very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

never ceases to amaze me how paddy will walk 3 mile to his own banks atm so as not to pay charges, or run the same 3 mile to dodge a taxi fare, yet he will leave half his weeks wages in that stinking cock and bull, the mind boggles:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

never ceases to amaze me how paddy will walk 3 mile to his own banks atm so as not to pay charges, or run the same 3 mile to dodge a taxi fare, yet he will leave half his weeks wages in that stinking cock and bull, the mind boggles:rolleyes:
    There is method in Paddy's madness by walking that 3 mile to his own banks atm.....lol. Just a little info from an ex bank worker. If by chance you try to withdraw money from another banks atm machine and the whole process goes through but the machine does not spit out your money....your in trouble. It can take 3-6 weeks for your bank to verify details of the transaction with the other bank....and in the meantime you have to wait to get your money back. I used to dread taking those calls from customers...not so much the abuse I would get but I felt so sorry for the people who really needed the money and had to go without it.

Advertisement