Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guards looking for potential terrorits in D1

Options
  • 06-05-2011 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

Have they knocked on your door yet? I saw them going around last night looking for people who might not appreciate the queen.I wonder what kind of questions they are asking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

I work in an office on O'Connell St. they called in about 2 weeks ago and took all our details, names, addresses, phone numbers. They said our first floor office would be a perfect snipers view to take out the queen. If we had a dubious past we might be asked not to come into work that day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Paulyh wrote: »
    I work in an office on O'Connell St. they called in about 2 weeks ago and took all our details, names, addresses, phone numbers. They said our first floor office would be a perfect snipers view to take out the queen. If we had a dubious past we might be asked not to come into work that day :D

I dare ya to get an airsoft Ak47 and bring it in on the day. I wonder will the Dublin Supporters Club in Parnell street be closed on the day. the guards won't be putting up with any messing on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Gardai in D1 have arrested 3 of 4 well known Islamic
    terrorists: Bin Snortin. Bin Dealin and Bin Thievin. there was no sign of Bin Workin.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Saw a guard just standing eyeing up people on Harrington Street. He was talking away to someone and then just started messing around on his iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

They called twice over the weekend when I wasn't home, eventually got me yesterday. Needed name, DOB and mobile phone number of everyone living in the gaff, a contact number for the landlord, whether we had roof access or not and what our windows looked out onto! AGS have to do this with EVERY apartment looking out onto the Quays, mad stuff.

Also said the information would be destroyed directly after the visit "if nothing happens." I reckon they're expecting someone to have a go...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I'm assuming the garda going around looking down the drains and shores and then marking them with yellow spray paint is down to the Queens visit or Obamas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I dare ya to get an airsoft Ak47 and bring it in on the day. I wonder will the Dublin Supporters Club in Parnell street be closed on the day. the guards won't be putting up with any messing on the day.

Be ready for knock on door after that comment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

hXci wrote: »
    They called twice over the weekend when I wasn't home, eventually got me yesterday. Needed name, DOB and mobile phone number of everyone living in the gaff, a contact number for the landlord, whether we had roof access or not and what our windows looked out onto! AGS have to do this with EVERY apartment looking out onto the Quays, mad stuff.

Same here, they were at the sewer covers outside my building last week and yesterday outside TCD I saw a Garda sealing up the ones there too. Also saw a lot of Garda activity around James' St (maybe the queen is fond of a pint) and there's been a bored looking cop stationed outside the park by the Ashling Hotel this past while. The last two might be unrelated though.

I really hope nothing happens during the visit, I'm assuming the huge amount of Garda work I've seen is based on the places she'll specifically visit but also the routes involved between travelling from A to B. That's a lot of area to cover, would helicopter travel not make more sense in this instance in terms of bypassing likely protests (no matter how peaceful they may be, scumbag elements can always gatecrash); and also in terms of facilitating changes to itinerary based on possible security threats/not having to release too much information to the general public in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Does anyone know what roads will be closed when she visits certain places.

I wonder when she goes to Croke Park will Dorset St be closed?
    I have exams when shes here and some places shes visiting are on my route to college!

I hope Dublin Bus have a plan to get around it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

stinkle wrote: »
    Same here, they were at the sewer covers outside my building last week and yesterday outside TCD I saw a Garda sealing up the ones there too. Also saw a lot of Garda activity around James' St (maybe the queen is fond of a pint) and there's been a bored looking cop stationed outside the park by the Ashling Hotel this past while. The last two might be unrelated though.

I really hope nothing happens during the visit, I'm assuming the huge amount of Garda work I've seen is based on the places she'll specifically visit but also the routes involved between travelling from A to B. That's a lot of area to cover, would fall helicopter travel not make more sense in this instance in terms of bypassing likely protests (no matter how peaceful they may be, scumbag elements can always gatecrash); and also in terms of facilitating changes to itinerary based on possible security threats/not having to release too much information to the general public in the first place

Her Majesty is visting both TCD and the Guinness tourist trap on James street while she's here. That explains that. Personally, I'd do a pub crawl of D2 first - then fall asleep over the Book of Kells. Its traditional.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The Census lady has spent about 2 months trying to get access to people in our apartments what with them all hiding thinking she is the TV license inspector, I don't think the guards quite realise how difficult it will be for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i saw the garda sealing drains on beresford walk today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

They wanted a list of people who live in my nana's house and they said that they wanted to come in for a quick look around in a week or two,this was last week in Cabra.

Would it not be handier for the queen or Obama to just move across the city by helicopter instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

They wanted a list of people who live in my nana's house and they said that they wanted to come in for a quick look around in a week or two,this was last week in Cabra.

Would it not be handier for the queen or Obama to just move across the city by helicopter instead?

so she could be killed with an ground to air rocket ? and the people can not be caught.

Seriously ... she's visiting they will try to cause as little disruption as they can - they have increased their numbers on the beat - 24hour patrolling of her route within the city center ....earlier today they searched and sealed lamp-posts along the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

forgot to add pics
    157829.jpg
    157830.jpg
    157831.jpg

Did the person taking the photos get taken in for questioning shortly afterwards ? They do a nice breakfast in Pearse Street, though friday night gets noisy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

There is a ban on postering around the city centre, in an attempt to clean up the city for the visits of Her Majesty and Obama. This is actually a very exciting time! I can't wait for both of these visits, especially the Queen's 4 day visit. Where would she be staying?

More than likely the British Embassy. Nice SAS guys will be performing guided tours.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I thought the queen would be staying in Farmleigh because of all the activity around the quays as it's a direct route in an out of the city centre. Never thought of the British Embassy! That might be more secure. As for Obama, haven't his plans changed now and he's just making a flying visit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i saw 2 UN tanks on the back of trucks in rathgar yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

i saw 2 UN tanks on the back of trucks in rathgar yesterday

The army are training in Wicklow for deployment to Lebanon later this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

They're also taking details of all working in the IFSC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

hmmm wrote: »
    The Census lady has spent about 2 months trying to get access to people in our apartments what with them all hiding thinking she is the TV license inspector, I don't think the guards quite realise how difficult it will be for them.

didn't yer ma never tell you not to open the door to strangers?

a guy wearing a suit and carrying a clipboard could be anyone. Maybe they should have sent uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Seen them this morning taking up drains around Stevens green and having a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭MikeyCdublin

Forgot to put it up but last week I seen British army jeeps and blacked out bmw 5 series cars with English regs on the back of trucks they headed out to the ndc just beside baldonnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Forgot to put it up but last week I seen British army jeeps and blacked out bmw 5 series cars with English regs on the back of trucks they headed out to the ndc just beside baldonnel.
    Maybe we should have this thread locked. It must be hard enough for the guards without us putting the pieces together and making life easier for any potential mentalist who wants a go.

Just sayin' like, don't bite me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Im sure I was in college with that Garda in the photos.

I bet the cops will find some interesting stuff around the area during their visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

In the last hour I've just driven through Kilmainham, (near the petrol station) where a large number of Guards in uniform appeared to be searching the area, checking under manhole covers etc. I assumed there must have been a bomb threat or something. Would this all be related to the the queen's visit? Doesn't seem like the best use of their time at 7.30 on a Saturday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    In the last hour I've just driven through Kilmainham, (near the petrol station) where a large number of Guards in uniform appeared to be searching the area, checking under manhole covers etc. I assumed there must have been a bomb threat or something. Would this all be related to the the queen's visit? Doesn't seem like the best use of their time at 7.30 on a Saturday evening?

They've been at this kinda work for at least the past month or so. All to do with either Freddie Mercury or Obamarama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

calling into houses round lucan too wanting to know number of occupents,how many cars etc. Theyre checking the n4 too. assuming she must be using casement aerodrome at baldonnel perhaps and coming in from there?

Advertisement