Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guards looking for potential terrorits in D1

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Wonder would they do the same for Inda Kinny in London or Washington?

A nation of lickspittles we are.

I mean whats going to happen if the queen and obama dont visit? Are we going to become bankrupt and have to ask europe for an extrortianate loan?

We havnt got a penny to our names and yet we're spending a fortune on security for these two..

**** them both..if they want to visit they should be treated to the real ireland..a shiithole where nobody feels safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Degsy wrote: »
    Wonder would they do the same for Inda Kinny in London or Washington?

Considering he's neither a target to dissident Republicans or Islamic terrorists there's not much to protect. Ireland is pretty safe, many other countries I'd put ahead of us in terms of danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

hmmm wrote: »
    The Census lady has spent about 2 months trying to get access to people in our apartments what with them all hiding thinking she is the TV license inspector, I don't think the guards quite realise how difficult it will be for them.

Nail on head here.

And if there's people in the buildings not opening the door to guards for fear of the tv license inspector and getting away with it, I don't think nationalist nuts with sniper rifles will be throwing open their doors either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

df1985 wrote: »
    calling into houses round lucan too wanting to know number of occupents,how many cars etc. Theyre checking the n4 too. assuming she must be using casement aerodrome at baldonnel perhaps and coming in from there?

Most likely is, all the drain covers have been painted and welded shut on the outter ringroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Drove down Gardiner St this morning, from Dorset Street to the Customs House, there were Gardaí opening the manhole covers in the middle of the road and sending divers down.

I'd hate to be a diver going down there vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-medium.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Des wrote: »
    Drove down Gardiner St this morning, from Dorset Street to the Customs House, there were Gardaí opening the manhole covers in the middle of the road and sending divers down.

I'd hate to be a diver going down there vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-medium.gif

i saw them doing the same thing at the VHI building on lower abbey street on friday

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

O Connell Street is full of gardai today taping fuse boxes and the likes!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

df1985 wrote: »
    calling into houses round lucan too wanting to know number of occupents,how many cars etc. Theyre checking the n4 too. assuming she must be using casement aerodrome at baldonnel perhaps and coming in from there?

I assume it'll be Baldonnell too. The road at the penny hill to the N4 (Living here 15 years and haven't a clue what it's called!) has all the drains marked out with that yellow spray paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

hXci wrote: »
    They called twice over the weekend when I wasn't home, eventually got me yesterday. Needed name, DOB and mobile phone number of everyone living in the gaff, a contact number for the landlord, whether we had roof access or not and what our windows looked out onto! AGS have to do this with EVERY apartment looking out onto the Quays, mad stuff.

Also said the information would be destroyed directly after the visit "if nothing happens." I reckon they're expecting someone to have a go...

Not that i have too much against it for obvious security reasons for the visits, but are they entitled to demand (and receive) all of the information above?

Can someone legitimately refuse?

Do they mention how the data is stored, secured and eventually destroyed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

They called into my apartment twice, it looks over the M50. Wasn't there both times, but they phoned and questioned my wife. They must be doing this with everyone that has a view of the route the queen will be travelling. Mental amount of work going into this by the police, god help the first celtic jersey wearing scumbag that picks up a rock, i'd say there'll be about 10 police on him before the rock leaves his hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

My uncle who works with SDCC was out at 4am on Saturday morning with the Gardai sealing stuff up around Baldonnel and the ring road,and all the road markings have been repainted around here too(Naas Rd/Newlands X area) so I'd reckon she's flying into Baldonnel.

Have been loads of really noisey helicopters flying over here in the last day or two,they weren't the Garda chopper or the Army ones either.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not that i have too much against it for obvious security reasons for the visits, but are they entitled to demand (and receive) all of the information above?

Can someone legitimately refuse?
    I imagine you can refuse, but if they close a road, you won't have your permit to get home.

Are you joking? What's a permit to get home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They're also taking details of all working in the IFSC

Are you sure that's not just for the Anglo Inquiry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yillan wrote: »

They may set up (temporary) security zones. Only those with permits will be allowed enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

from th Sindo

by JIM CUSACK
    Sunday May 08 2011
    Dissident republicans are planning to break into the Garden of Remembrance in Dublin city centre the night before Queen Elizabeth arrives in Dublin. It is among a series of protests and actions to try to disrupt her three-day Irish itinerary.

A 24-hour guard has also been placed on the Victoria Monument at Dun Laoghaire Harbour by gardai after threats to blow it up. The monument, built to commemorate the 1900 visit of Queen Victoria, was badly damaged by a bomb during the 1981 Maze Prison hunger strikes, and restored only in 2003.

Garda sources say there is now something approaching panic among middle- and senior-ranking officers given responsibility for protecting the queen. Several experienced gardai last week referred to the royal visit itinerary as "a nightmare".

Compared to the queen's visit, US President Barack Obama's visit, which begins on May 23, is described as being relatively straightforward in logistical and security terms. Gardai are content the risk from Islamist extremists here, even in the aftermath of the killing of Osama bin Laden, is minimal. There may be some protests by leftist groups but these are usually peaceful.

Calls are already going out for mobilisation of protest and other forms of opposition to the royal visit. Last week's edition of the Republican Sinn Fein newspaper, Saoirse, called for protest at the Garden of Remembrance on the opening day of the visit and at all the subsequent 11 venues -- 10 of which have been published in precise detail in the itinerary published by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Buckingham Palace two weeks ago.

The Republican Sinn Fein weekly paper referred to the "Queen of England" and the visit as being "a parade of pomp and imperialism which is being foisted on the people by the same political elite responsible for the economic collapse".

It adds: "Our message will be the same in Dublin, Kildare, Cashel and Cork -- the head of the British state will never be welcome in any part of Ireland as long as that state continues to partition and occupy Ireland."

The Garda Special Branch is being worked into the ground as it attempts to assess the broader threat from dissident supporters, sources say. Their fear is that hordes of young men -- of the same type who carried out the "Love Ulster" riot in 2006 -- will try a re-run of the events, rioting and looting during the queen's two days in Dublin city centre.

The small and splintered dissident terrorist groups -- the Real IRA, the Continuity IRA and a variety of other micro groups -- could cause serious disruption by placing bombs or hoaxes along the queen's quite extensive route which criss-crosses Dublin before travelling to Cork and Cashel, gardai say.

One senior garda source said the extensive travel arrangements in the visit are the result of "naive" thinking. He said that those responsible had been so closely involved in the "peace process" in Northern Ireland that they had been blinded to the threat from republican extremists and the much larger hooligan elements likely to cause trouble during the visit.

Dissidents are under close surveillance. Two senior dissidents from Co Louth were watched as they walked around Trinity College with a camcorder two weeks ago. The queen is due to visit the college to see the Book of Kells after the Garden of Remembrance ceremony. Another Dublin Real IRA figure, who is heavily involved in the drugs trade, sparked some alarm when he went to Dublin Airport and spent three hours apparently sizing both terminals up.

He may have been unaware the queen is flying into Baldonnel Aerodrome and out from Cork Airport.

- JIM CUSACK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Seen the Gardai doing the manhole stuff on Lombard St East. Anyone know how long likely the disruption of closed zones will last for? I have to get to and from work cross city like many thousands of others, we need to get home particularly after a hard days work unlike the monarchy.

Victor wrote: »
    They may set up (temporary) security zones. Only those with permits will be allowed enter.

where did u hear this. it would cause chaos. is queenie coming of a morning or afternoon?

Yillan wrote: »

Use your head. If they close off a road and don't operate a permit system, all someone has to do is claim to live on the road and they can by-pass the roadblock without any questioning.

RMD wrote: »
    Use your head. If they close off a road and don't operate a permit system, all someone has to do is claim to live on the road and they can by-pass the roadblock without any questioning.

there will be no permit system. if they had wanted to do that they would have had to have distributed the permits a long time ago. it takes several days to catch up with all the residents in a single apartment complex. the lack of cooperation with authorities in this country never ceases to amaze me.

if they close off a road and a car wants to get through they just have to check the reg with their list to see if it belongs to the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

hXci wrote: »
    They called twice over the weekend when I wasn't home, eventually got me yesterday. Needed name, DOB and mobile phone number of everyone living in the gaff, a contact number for the landlord, whether we had roof access or not and what our windows looked out onto! AGS have to do this with EVERY apartment looking out onto the Quays, mad stuff.

Also said the information would be destroyed directly after the visit "if nothing happens." I reckon they're expecting someone to have a go...

Did you enquire as to what legislation compels you to divulge this information? Did you record the badge numbers of the Gardaí dealing with you?

stesh wrote: »
    Did you enquire as to what legislation compels you to divulge this information? Did you record the badge numbers of the Gardaí dealing with you?

thats the spirit. tell the Free State police nothing. Lets pursue a policy of no cooperation with the police on anything to make our society a much better place. they should be out catching real criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

Fuinseog wrote: »
    thats the spirit. tell the Free State police nothing. Lets pursue a policy of no cooperation with the police on anything to make our society a much better place. they should be out catching real criminals.

Of course not! Sure if we've nothing to hide, we've nothing to worry about!

RMD wrote: »

Use my head? I just want to go home without needing a permit which I don't have and have heard nothing about.

As said above, sounds like bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There is a ban on postering around the city centre, in an attempt to clean up the city for the visits of Her Majesty and Obama. This is actually a very exciting time! I can't wait for both of these visits, especially the Queen's 4 day visit. Where would she be staying?

Theres a ban on postering to make sure the queen doesn't see what people think of her.

Its all fkin' nonsense. Land her in the park for tea with el presidente and then she may f**k off back home without this state of emergency carry on.

Of course the coppers would be missing out on the much needed overtime then. :rolleyes:

stesh wrote: »

What's the problem? They're looking for info on residents to help prevent a dissident attack which would cause huge damage to Ireland's image abroad. If you've got nothing to hide then why be skeptical about it? Why even bother taking badge numbers, they're clearly doing the checks on command.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Crap, Elizabeth Bathory and Greek Phil arent over this thursday or friday are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Bambi wrote: »
    Of course the coppers would be missing out on the much needed overtime then. :rolleyes:

The cops aren't planning the visit. They have no say in how long the Queen stays for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Theres a ban on postering to make sure the queen doesn't see what people think of her.

Its all fkin' nonsense. Land her in the park for tea with el presidente and then she may f**k off back home without this state of emergency carry on.

I'm sure Coppers will be glad of the extra business ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Certainly no ban yesterday along the northside quays beside the Custom House. About 7 drunks(or junkies, name your description) drinking their cans in full view of 3 officers just standing there chatting to each other all day, a bizarre sight I had seen as I passed the area a few times during the course of the afternoon.

Advertisement