Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork cyclists cause weather havoc.

• 06-05-2011 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Strolling along Union Quay past the City Hall yesterday evening aprés work I spot 4 cyclists going by me, lucky beggars I'm thinking, I'd love to be out for a spin tonight. All looking good, possible boards jersey sighting opportunity.

"Chapeau Monsieurs!" I'm thinking, when to my horror all four tootle through the red traffic lights, not a bother on them. Off they go down the quays out of town. Followed by another 5!!! again straight through the red traffic lights just there at the Sextant pub. Cheeky beggars;)

Well, I can only deduce, with a degree of certainty (I have an MSc you know!), that the torrential rain we witnessed down in Cork last night was caused as a direct result of those nine cyclists breaking the red lights there on the quays!!

I hope you didn't get too wet lads!! And if you are here gents, maybe owning up will help keep the weather clement this weekend.

Bon Vendredi.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

dont break the lights guys .... bad press... the open road is outside the city

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

Hows it going studio rat. I believe I may have encountered this bunch of renegades today myself. I was quite shocked also. Especially considering the terrible news that we all got from the Giro d'Italia yesterday.

With that in mind, the hazards of cycling and the risks we take "with only lycra and polystyrene protection" (as sean kelly put it) should be to the fore front of our minds.

I am a bit of a lone ranger on my bike and was enjoying my cycle today as I feverishly pedaled down the Straight road. I was over taken by five cyclists (they were going a fairly decent pace and made me realise cycling alone can only get you so far)

I managed to keep up with them (which made me not so down-hearted but I still have to question my progress). We got to that really dangerous junction at the end of the straight road, past the Kingsley Hotel, just at the old Crows Nest. THE LIGHTS WERE RED! I stopped.

All five of them blew through the lights and the junction of merging traffic and lanes at approx 37KPH.

They were all wearing yellow jerseys with, I think, a Grey/dirty white stripe going across the middle. They were all MIDDLE AGED MEN, who should, I believe, know better.

It was busy on the road and I could not believe it when I saw it.

Am I wrong, but aren't the rules of the road there so you do not die!!! Life is precious to me and it made me mad to see these dumb-wits give us all a bad name. We have no right to complain about motorists if cyclists behave in such a manner.

If any of ye are visitors to this site I challenge ye to explain to me how these actions make sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭corkchef

Am I wrong, but aren't the rules of the road there so you do not die!!! Life is precious to me and it made me mad to see these dumb-wits give us all a bad name. We have no right to complain about motorists if cyclists behave in such a manner.
    riding in cork today myself and i too stop at all lights. we share the road with motorists and are entitled to it's equal usage, their awareness of us, and their caution when it comes to overtaking us just as they would another vehicle. if we follow the same rules that is and behave like another vehicle on the road. so come on lads, be better riders and we will all be treated better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I cycle round UCC so spend most of my time around mindless students who race through pedestrian crossings when they're green for the pedestrians. Cut onto foot paths to avoid traffic lights etc. Yes I'm far from the perfect cyclist but when I get stuck behind them 20 seconds later it really does seem like a waste of time and just dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭8119tm

Think of the Kittens:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I dont believe in kittens

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Moreofthatjazz

feckin hate kittens ... still don't break red lights

Advertisement