Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vicon Problems

• 06-05-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Anyone have any idea why a vicon spreader keeps smashing at the "doughnut" joint ??? Could it be as simply as have the spreader raised too high ....cant figure it out ??????????????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

zetorman wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea why a vicon spreader keeps smashing at the "doughnut" joint ??? Could it be as simply as have the spreader raised too high ....cant figure it out ??????????????????

is the driveshaft too long ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

is the driveshaft too long ?

We had that problem. The drive shaft was too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

reilig wrote: »
    We had that problem. The drive shaft was too long.

jeez , i hope the trailed spreader we bought in the past week wont be a problem , bought an unusual spreader , vicon sitting on top of a chassis on wheels , the shaft is as long as one you would see on a slurry agitator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

irishh_bob wrote: »
    jeez , i hope the trailed spreader we bought in the past week wont be a problem , bought an unusual spreader , vicon sitting on top of a chassis on wheels , the shaft is as long as one you would see on a slurry agitator

but you wont be lifting it since it trailed and so wont be shortening the driveshaft so your safe enough, with my manure spreader the driveshaft that came when it was new was just a bit long so when you lifted the arms it was trying to close in or shorten more that it could, rectified but cuting and " or two off shaft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

irishh_bob wrote: »

Just make sure that the shaft is short enough to allow you to turn and not put pressure on the shaft.

On the 3 point linkage mounted spreaders, the shaft is often just right when you have the spreader fully raised or fully lowered on the lift arms - its in the very middle (the straight poing) that shaft is at its shortest. So if the shaft is too long, it won't be able to transform short enough at the midn point of the lift IYKWIM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I borrowed a neighbours a few years ago and this happend. I asked the lads in the motor factors for two of them in case it happened again. They said the only reason it should happen, if the shafts were ok, was that the bearings and the bottom of the spreader were gone. Usually from a lack of grease.

This might also be your problem. It shouldn't be a big deal to fix as they come apart fairly easily... a wet day job.

Advertisement