Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get 1Gbps service in Turkey

Options
  • 06-05-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

Turkish FTTH operator Superonline announced yesterday that they were launching a 1 Gb/s offer for residential customers. They are also adopting the name of their shareholder Turkcell and becoming Turkcell Superonline. The price for the 1 Gb/s service hasn't been announced yet as far as I can see, and I don't know if it's available to all the 700 000 customers that the fiber operator currently passes.

Yet again, the feeling that has been with me for over a year that emerging markets is where the focus for FTTH deployment is fast shifting is confirmed. Within a couple of years, there will be more FTTH users in China than in the rest of the world put together, India is fast moving towards workable deployment models, and Turkey is showing the rest of Europe that things can move fast, without public money and with smart marketing to drive acquisition.

Also, we once again see how incumbents are too tame with their marketing, trying to preserve their copper business models. Does it make sense to launch a Gbps service ? Wrong question. Does it drive acquisition (including that of lower bandwidth / price schemes) ? Does it establish the brand as "best in class" ? These are the right questions...

Advertisement