Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

saving hay

• 06-05-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering do many people save hay? I bought a few round bales of hay last year and it was great feeding. I was thinking of saving about 2 acres myself this year. How do most people save it i.e. when is it shook out how often is it turned, how do you know when its in perfect condition etc. This is all based on getting unreal weather of course!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hello all,

Just wondering do many people save hay? I bought a few round bales of hay last year and it was great feeding. I was thinking of saving about 2 acres myself this year. How do most people save it i.e. when is it shook out how often is it turned, how do you know when its in perfect condition etc. This is all based on getting unreal weather of course!

not much any more unless the weather falls right, sometimes it just handy to bale up the silage and be done with it, still its good have a bit of hay, i fed hay for a awhile this winter and it was so quick compared to messing with silage, could just leave bale in passage and you would have cows fed in few mins, also nice to have some for calves..interestingly last year i left 1 meadow of silage down for nearly 2 days before baling, i got a few punctures and just got held up, it was half way to being hay when i baled it..god the cows went mad for it so if I get the chance this year i will deffo leave silage down longer and will also try and get a bit of hay

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭manjou

when weather is right all you need. last year went bale silage and electrics on baler went up in smoke mouse problem. lost 2 days when i got back nearly in hay so turned once rowed and baled straight in shed. perfect year for it. if weather not right better of making silage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

With the price of plastic and diesel this year going to push up the bales price it might not be a bad plan toi make hay if......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

we find that the best thing is to shake it twice a day for 3 or 4 days. the day that you are baling should ideally be a scorcher to get that last bit of moisture off the grass.
    also if you stack them on their ends (round bales) in the shed it acts like a chimney and are more likely to heat.

Advertisement