Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mcafee Anti-virus and Spyware problems

• 06-05-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭

Really hope someone can help me with this problem,trying to fix a problem with the Malware protection on my computer,Mcafee Anti-Virus and Spyware has turned off and when i click turn on now,i get asked if i trust the program,i click yes let this program run,then noting happens,it remains off,my Mcafee subscription ends in September

Also when i click on the Mcafee icon on the desktop all i get is a white blank box

All help and advice will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Since they're turned off you probably picked up a Virus.

When turning on your computer keep pressing F8 and when the options pop up select Safe Mode with Networking.

Now see can you update McAfee and run a scan while still in Safe Mode.

Also download Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and run full scans with both of these while still in Safe Mode. Save these to your Desktop when your asked where you want to download them as you may have to change there names to Install them. (Ask back here if you need to)

In Safe Mode only the essential parts of the Operating system load so what ever the (to put it bluntly) ****e McAfee let through with a bit of luck should not be running and you can delete it.

When you get things sorted Install a different Anti-Virus, none of them are perfect though, here are the top paid for ones. McAfee Anti-Virus removal page if you want it.

The free ones are fine though, Avast, Microsoft or Avira. You can only use one.

And Comodo or PC Tools for a Firewall.

If Safe Mode doesn't work out you can try a system restore to a time when you were Computer trouble free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Turned on the computer this morning checked the security centre,everything was back to normal,cheers for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Also when i click on the Mcafee icon on the desktop all i get is a white blank box
    I was actually going to say turn if off and on when I seen that bit.:rolleyes:

Advertisement