Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Used" wheelchair for a dog.....

• 06-05-2011 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I know there has been some discussion on this before here so hoping maybe somebody might be able to help.

Family dog was diagnosed with a spinal complaint the other day. It had been coming on for a while and his back legs had been failing fast. It has gotten to the point where he cannot move his back legs almost at all. The operation to correct the problem would cost at least 1500euro and even if it was a success the problem may occur in a different part of the spine after a couple weeks/months.

Apart from this the dog is in fine form. He is comfortable and in no distress. Talking to the vets though they seem to be of the mind that he should be put down. I know the dog in this state is much much harder to look after but it's not as if the dog is even in pain.

I think he would manage fine with a dog wheelchair but they are very pricey. For a dog of his size (maybe 20 kilos and 14 or 16 inch to the flank) you would easily be looking at well over 200 bills. I know this is nothing compared to the operation but when you have very little money you have very little money.

I have looked at all sorts of sites for new ones. Would anyone have any idea where a "used" one could maybe be found? I had though, by the nature of the product, that there may be used ones knocking around.

Would anyone know? Would anyone know of anyone that had one?

Any help would be great.

Funk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I know someone who has/had one for her dog (german shepherd) who was recently put to sleep. I've emailed her and asked her if she still has it and would be willing to sell it and will let you know by PM if I hear anything back.

Where are you based BTW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Really? That would be perfect I imagine. He is part German Shepard as far as we know. Thanks a million.

I am based in South Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Have you thought of contacting any engineering companys if they could build one for you, if I remember correctly, I think I've heard of one of those companies that builds dog runs making one.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Theres a dog on FB called Mollie Collie think she is based in clare, however, her dog Mollie was paralysed by a car and now in a wheelchair, if you dont get set up with a used wheelchair she might put you in the right direction. The profile picture is a collie with a daisy chain on head.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Last friday after the vet saw him again it was decided that it was best if he be put to sleep. An awful decision to make. The vet said she'd call to the house later.

Later on that evening she rang to ask how he was and it was unbelievable how much he had changed since we got him back. His legs are still a major problem but he is more alert and active than he has been in ages.

I had given up completely but now I am definitely back looking for a wheelchair.

I have looked at the ones you can buy new. Just can't afford them at the mo. Was hoping to pick one up secondhand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Do you know any local mechanics, bike shops or welders? I'm sure if you showed them some photos they could make something up for you from old pram wheels etc.

ISDW wrote: »
    Do you know any local mechanics, bike shops or welders? I'm sure if you showed them some photos they could make something up for you from old pram wheels etc.

I had another chat with the vet and she thinks that as he is failing he wouldn't adjust to wheels very well. Although they would be good for bringing him for walks, I'm not sure how many walks he has left in him.

I saw a kind of harness on a website. For supporting the back legs when a dog has to move a small distance. I checked with Pet Stop but they don't seem to do anything like it. I think at this stage I just want him to have as stress free a life as possible.

Anyone know where I might get one of them in Ireland? I could order one online, but I really don't know if he would still be around by the time it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is this what you mean OP? I've seen them in Pet World in Santry and they have a similar one in Pet Mania. Or I read that you can use a folded towel/blanket instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Funkfield wrote: »
    I had another chat with the vet and she thinks that as he is failing he wouldn't adjust to wheels very well. Although they would be good for bringing him for walks, I'm not sure how many walks he has left in him.

I saw a kind of harness on a website. For supporting the back legs when a dog has to move a small distance. I checked with Pet Stop but they don't seem to do anything like it. I think at this stage I just want him to have as stress free a life as possible.

Anyone know where I might get one of them in Ireland? I could order one online, but I really don't know if he would still be around by the time it arrives.

One of my dogs had problems with his back legs, I used to use a long scarf underneath him to help support him when he went outside to go to the toilet and for a sniff.

Advertisement