Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on an Events Management Course !!! HELP

Options
  • 06-05-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey Everybody,
    This is my first time posting on this. Ive been dying to do some type of course for a long time now -( need to get out of my current mind numbing job asap!)- and Ive decided to do an Events Management Course-(evening/part time) and was looking at doing this in DBS.
    Can anyone give me any advise or info about any other events management courses that they may have done elsewhere ( in Dublin Region ) or in the DBS. Did they find it interesting and if it led them to study anything further from this? :confused:

Im really stuck in a rut at the moment ( like Id say half of the 25-35 year old age bracket are :eek:) and would really appreciate any advise at all !!!

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ChocolateLover

Hi nine8,

I did a diploma in event management with CMI and it was a nice group, but I wouldn't recommend the course.

We had one lecturer who told us straight away that she doesn't like the topic she has to teach us.

Another one was actually able to read power point slides to us for 90 minutes at a time - every week! One was always late, one day over an hour but just said, we'll wrap it up quickly, there was no offer of making up the lost time.

One day we had a look at different venues but instead of giving us ideas of what to look out for (possible risks, hazards, suitability, parking etc), we spent over half an hour of the 90 minute tour in a coffee shop and actually never spoke about what we've learnt that day - it was more a walking tour through Dublin.

Nobody in the group was happy with the course, but we felt like we couldn't really complain because the event industry here is very small, it was likely that we will work with our lecturers again or will be interviewed by them :( if we tried to move into the events industry.

It certainly was not worth the money, and I'm writing this backed up by the whole group. You always learn something but the bit we did learn you could get from a good book which will cost you a fraction of the course price.

I don't know about the DBS courses, maybe they are better.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nine8

hey, thanks so much for the reply and the info. Its really great to hear stuff like that because you would never know otherwise. It sounds like the course would defo not be for me- I couldnt handle my time been wasted like that especially after paying so much money?!
    Thanks again!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ChocolateLover

No worries, you're right that was a waste of time and money - very annoying. That's why I like boards.ie, you get people's honest opinion while protecting their privacy (in case we work with them) ;).

Good luck.

Advertisement