Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question re: Swords cc spins

• 06-05-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭

Before I go ringing complete strangers during the working day, can anyone tell me if Swords cc allow interested newbies like myself to come along for the ride on their training spins?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Certainly! You can join me in the morning from lusk at half 7 if you like. Im going out with a newbie to cycling for a few hours.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You won't have a problem turning up, but if it's to your liking and you intend sticking with it, I think there is an expectation you will join up at some stage

You also need to think which group you want to go with - it's really down to how comfortable you are with group riding at relative speed - if you're not, one of the beginner spins is best. If you can keep up at around 30kph, the Saturday moring spin from Blakes Cross is probably the best one to come along to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Beasty wrote: »
    You won't have a problem turning up, but if it's to your liking and you intend sticking with it, I think there is an expectation you will join up at some stage

You also need to think which group you want to go with - it's really down to how comfortable you are with group riding at relative speed - if you're not, one of the beginner spins is best. If you can keep up at around 30kph, the Saturday moring spin from Blakes Cross is probably the best one to come along to
    Thanks for that. I was thinking more along the lines of the slower group leaving the Lord Mayor's at 9.15. I've never cycled in a group before so the more leisurely pace might be a better idea. The Blakes Cross one looks ideal as a regular run though.
    Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Certainly! You can join me in the morning from lusk at half 7 if you like. Im going out with a newbie to cycling for a few hours.
    Thanks! Are you joining up with the Blakes Cross group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have been joining the 8.30am Sat spin for the past 2 weeks, and its helping to bring me on great, even if they usually drop me after 50km of the 70. :) Very nice bunch.

With regard to etiquette on joining, I didn't bother yet as I don't have enough group riding experience or speed for the club races. Would just getting a std membership for 35 yoyos, then "upgrading" if/when I have the fitness and speed to get something out of the club races, be the most polite way of going about things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Nope. The guy I'm going out with is new to cycling and has no experience of group cycling. Going to take it easy on him! Just the two of us around the country roads north and west of lusk which will be nice and quiet at that time.

Best to go out this way first as you can go at your leisure and stop when needed and not have to worry about getting back with the group.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Inquitus wrote: »
    I have been joining the 8.30am Sat spin for the past 2 weeks, and its helping to bring me on great, even if they usually drop me after 50km of the 70. :) Very nice bunch.

With regard to etiquette on joining, I didn't bother yet as I don't have enough group riding experience or speed for the club races. Would just getting a std membership for 35 yoyos, then "upgrading" if/when I have the fitness and speed to get something out of the club races, be the most polite way of going about things?

I'm sure the Club Secretary will be along at some stage to advise, but you can, I believe, do the club League on a Pay as You Go basis (or at least you could last year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

RT66 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I was thinking more along the lines of the slower group leaving the Lord Mayor's at 9.15. I've never cycled in a group before so the more leisurely pace might be a better idea. The Blakes Cross one looks ideal as a regular run though.

Thanks! Are you joining up with the Blakes Cross group?

I would consider myself a regular on the Saturday morning spin (9.15 from the Lord Mayors), it's a very friendly bunch & there's no problem with new people joining. We leave at 9.15, 20 min coffee break halfway & then back in Swords village between 12.30/1. distance would tend to be somewhere 70 to 100km

However, there's a Sunday morning spin from the Lord Mayors which would be an easier cycle (slower speed, not as far). Maybe this one would be a good one to start with, if it's too slow/easy for you, then just go with a different group next time!

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Nope. The guy I'm going out with is new to cycling and has no experience of group cycling. Going to take it easy on him! Just the two of us around the country roads north and west of lusk which will be nice and quiet at that time.

Best to go out this way first as you can go at your leisure and stop when needed and not have to worry about getting back with the group.

That's more or less what I've been at for the last few weeks. I need get used to group cycling though. Thanks anyway. :)

I would consider myself a regular on the Saturday morning spin (9.15 from the Lord Mayors), it's a very friendly bunch & there's no problem with new people joining. We leave at 9.15, 20 min coffee break halfway & then back in Swords village between 12.30/1. distance would tend to be somewhere 70 to 100km

However, there's a Sunday morning spin from the Lord Mayors which would be an easier cycle (slower speed, not as far). Maybe this one would be a good one to start with, if it's too slow/easy for you, then just go with a different group next time!

Thanks. I'll probably give Saturday a shot. What sort of pace does the 9.15 spin go at usually? And are helmets mandatory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm sure the Club Secretary will be along at some stage to advise, but you can, I believe, do the club League on a Pay as You Go basis (or at least you could last year)

As Obama says: "Yes you can!" :D BUT...You do need a Cycling Ireland or IVCA licence in order to take part in the club league. Sign-On fee is €5 per race for non Club Members.

• Advertisement

Went along on what I found to be a very enjoyable spin. 1st time in a group and couldn't have asked for a more welcoming one.
    Nice pace which averaged 25km/h and my longest distance ever, and first time to go over 100km. :D
    Thanks lads!

Advertisement